News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: TMNT1 NES sprite animations and small ASM tweak  (Read 388 times)

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
TMNT1 NES sprite animations and small ASM tweak
« on: September 28, 2020, 02:29:08 pm »
Hello, I'm finishing up a sprite update to my "return to new york" TMNT hack and could use help with a few things:

1.  The turtles colors are loaded by loading up Raphael's palette and then changing the bandana color.  I figured out the pointers for the pause screen and made a new table for the gameplay, but cant figure out where the code splits to rewrite the first sprite palette (to fix the shredder glitch and some other places) I cant seem to wrap my head around how it does this on the pause screen, given its a background palette.I'd like to implement the ability to change the turtles skin color on the pause screen.  Here's what i found.
Pause Menu: $F740:B1 00     LDA ($00),Y @ $FACF = #$27(mike), bandana colors stored at 1fad8 (in a different format than above  Gameplay: $D54A:B9 75 D6  LDA $D675,Y @ $D678 = #$14 (don), with bandana colors stored at 1d685
Edit: Solved.  Modified the subroutine to change two colors, then added the subroutine to animations that were missing it.  Pause menu required new pointers and palette table

2.  In the intro sequence, when the four turtle portraits come in, they pan in from the right as sprites.  When they get to their position, they become background and the sprite disappears.  Except donatello, whose sprite ends one pixel to the left of his background and makes him look goofy.  I just need to adjust the final landing position of his portrait sprite over by 1 pixel. Edit: solved, set starting x coordinate to F8 at FE3E and reset carry flags to X9 at FF02

3.  I'd like to improve some sprite animations.  Rocksteady uses the same leg sprites as bebop, but his run animation is missing some of the same animation. Edit: Solved, timer on his run animation was set to 10 instead of 04  Also, the dinobot enemy is constantly switching between his jump and standing sprites, rather than jump while jumping and stand while standing

4.  I'd like to figure out how to make the chainsaw enemy's chainsaw actually hurt you.

5.  This one's a bit tougher.  In the intro sequence where it shows the four turtles and splinter, leo's bandana is the same color as the background due to limited background colors.  Is there a way to have just his head display as a sprite instead, so i can make use of the sprite pallete set (leo's sprite pallete is loaded in the ppu on this screen, and the CHR is duplicated in sprite and background).  Wont be too upset if this is too much a hassle.

Thanks all for any help!  I've learned so much from the community here already, looking forward to wrapping up this project.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 06:43:42 pm by guitarpalooz »