News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sonic Adventure DX (GameCube) Hacks  (Read 786 times)

crashj110

• View Profile
Sonic Adventure DX (GameCube) Hacks
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:05:01 am »
I'm working on a texture hack for Sonic Adventure DX to better match the Dreamcast version... Specifically like in the Ice levels where they took out all of the blue.  Does anyone know if this has already been done somewhere else?  I can't find anything, but I don't want to get too far into this if there's already a project out there for this.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Adventure DX (GameCube) Hacks
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 09:57:26 pm »
A quick glance at the Steam store page suggests that there are indeed already mods for it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/71250/Sonic_Adventure_DX/

I don't know if anyone has made those specific changes you are suggesting, but I expect it would probably be easier to make them in the Steam version and then try to port them to the Gamecube version.

This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 02:15:19 am »
The Gamecube version not so much, but the PC port (which is based on the GC version) has been pretty thoroughly hacked with tons of mods.

I believe your comment about Ice Cap stage having the wrong colors was also due to the lighting, possibly not texture related. The DC original had a different lighting engine (called Lantern Engine) than the GC ports and those based on it. PC again has mods that restores this.

There's a complete Dreamcast conversion mod for PC that restores all of the original geometry, textures and other graphical features that were cut. There's even a mod to restore the original character models (I don't use it personally but a lot of people prefer those models). There's even mods to implement the original DC version's DLC content, and even beta elements such as the massively more expansive (and IMO vastly superior) pre-release version of Windy Valley.

You'll probably need to follow a number of guides to set it up. But the main program that you need is the SADX Mod Loader. It can download and install the mods for you and contains other options and tools.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 11:54:15 am »
You'll probably need to follow a number of guides to set it up. But the main program that you need is the SADX Mod Loader. It can download and install the mods for you and contains other options and tools.
To be clear: do those all actually work with the Steam version, or do you have to find a copy of the earlier non-Steam release? Some of the stuff I was looking at suggested as much.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 08:49:20 pm »
To be clear: do those all actually work with the Steam version, or do you have to find a copy of the earlier non-Steam release? Some of the stuff I was looking at suggested as much.
I don't have the Steam version (I have the earlier 2004 retail copy), but I do know Steam works with the mods. Though it seems to require a few extra steps and programs beforehand. This seems like a good guide-
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1788203025

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 02:16:41 am »

The 2004 version has differences from the 2011 version. Besides the missing Game Gear games I don't remember much.
For what it's worth, I've asked about the game's rarity before. Retail copies are uncommon in some countries.
https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/evidence-that-sonic-adventure-dx-released-on-pc-in-north-america.24003/