News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help Wanted with Zelda 2 Randomizer (no programming required!)  (Read 1264 times)

digshake

• View Profile
Help Wanted with Zelda 2 Randomizer (no programming required!)
« on: September 21, 2020, 11:36:37 am »
Hi-

I'm the creator and maintainer of the Zelda 2 Randomizer. I'm not a very active participant in this community but I lurk quite a bit and I am a big fan of all the great Zelda 2 information and hacks available here - the randomzier would not be possible without it!

I am currently trying to add a feature to the randomizer that will add additional palace rooms to the game. Ideally these room layouts would be randomized, but my attempts at this have shown that randomly generated rooms are often difficult to make and of poor quality. Instead I thought it may be best to ask others to submit their room designs and add them to the room pool of the randomizer. I've already started receiving rooms from other Zelda II enthusiasts, and thought I would post the offer here as well.

You should be able to use any of the established editors for the game to make the rooms. Keep in mind that I'm not really interested in excessively trolly or difficult rooms. While having some rooms with difficult enemy placements and extreme spell requirements is fine every once in awhile, most rooms in the game are fairly simple without a lot of bells and whistles - this is mostly the kind of stuff that I am looking for. I will need rooms for all three palace groups: [Palace 1, 2, and 5], [Palace 3, 4, and 6], and [Great Palace]. So in other words if you make a room for Palace 1, it could also be used in Palaces 2 and 5.

Don't feel like you need to redo all of the rooms in the game to contribute. Even a few well designed rooms would be a welcome contribution. Once you have something you can then simply send me an .ips patch. The best way to get ahold of me is probably either on the Zelda 2 Discord (see the #z2_randomizer channel) or on Twitch. I'm also happy to answer any questions you may have or provide additional information if that would be helpful.

Also, if you have created a Zelda 2 ROMhack and would be willing to grant me permission to use those rooms in the randomizer, please let me know!

Anyone who contributes palace rooms to the randomizer will be recognized as a Contributor.

This is a great opportunity to contribute to a Zelda 2 hack that requires little to no programming experience, so I hope you will consider it. Thanks!

-digshake
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:49:33 am by digshake »

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
Re: Help Wanted with Zelda 2 Randomizer (no programming required!)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 07:11:26 pm »
Please feel free to use any rooms from my hack. I would definitely like to know how your randomizer turns out.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3931/
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

digshake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 09:31:51 pm »
Thanks! I've played your hack and I am a fan, so this is great.

The randomizer has been around for a few years now, this feature will be part of version 4.0 which I hope to release in the next month or two. Perhaps I should get it officially added to this website, eh?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 02:52:48 pm »
The randomizer could use the "saving manually with 1st controller" if it still doesn't have it.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 07:01:09 pm »
Thanks! I've played your hack and I am a fan, so this is great.

The randomizer has been around for a few years now, this feature will be part of version 4.0 which I hope to release in the next month or two. Perhaps I should get it officially added to this website, eh?

Thanks! I appreciate it. I'd like to check out your randomizer then. Probably within the next few months, I will go back to working on part 2 of my hack.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 07:39:45 pm »
Would it be possible for the randomizer to generate a game with no overworld and minimal mazes? The physics and combat of Z2 are elegant, and I'd love to just play it as a side-scrolling platformer.