News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Translation J to E] Patlabor-Mobile Police for Sega Megadrive  (Read 687 times)

Barbarian Moham

• View Profile
[Translation J to E] Patlabor-Mobile Police for Sega Megadrive
« on: September 20, 2020, 02:41:52 pm »
I'm looking for help with translating a Japanese Mega Drive/Genesis game from the Patlabor franchise.  So far I've figured out how most of the game works (I've kept detailed notes on what I've found) and a lot of the hacking is done.  With some help I've been able to translate most of the menu, character names and the title screen.  The 'Name entry' screen is also functioning in English now and a few parts of the early dialogue are translated accurately enough that English speaking players will understand the first objective.

Now I could use some help with translating some the early dialogue as its beyond my knowledge of Japanese.  If someone could give me some idea of what this guy is saying then it would help tremendously.  The character's name is Shige, he's in a computer-room and he works for Section-2/Division-2.  The game doesn't use many Kanji, I'm not sure if that's helpful or not.  Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:09:28 am by Barbarian Moham »

Saihig

• View Profile
Re: [Translation J to E] Patlabor-Mobile Police for Sega Megadrive
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 08:40:13 pm »
The first part is a bit tricky without context but,

Shige “Player name! It’s you!
Player name! From Squad 2! The rookie!
Nice to meet you.  So you’re the one.
Hmm, I see. So that’s how it is.
You have my sympathy…
Oh, I’m just thinking out loud.
I see. So it’s you.
Ah, I’m part of the maintenance crew. The name’s Shigeo Shiba. Look forward to working with you.
Well, you know how it is.
For the meantime, if there’s anything troubling you, you should consult with captain Godou.
He’s actually quite a remarkable person.
It could be that he’s really just an idiot tough.
Alright then. I’m busy, so I’m gonna get going.”

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:18:50 am »
I dumped a script for this game and I am intending to translate the script at some point. If you wait on me for it it's not going to be a quick process because I have other projects I'm working on, but I would like to get this script translated. I talk about it a little here (skip to 17:34) https://youtu.be/9O10LtdhWRo

Barbarian Moham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 03:31:47 pm »
Hey filler, that sounds awesome.  We can work on this one together.  :thumbsup:

I've made a surprising amount of progress with this already, please check out my current patch: Patch download here

I'm a huge fan of Patlabor, must have seen the first two movies 50 times, and I have most of the comics.  I will admit though that I haven't seen the TV shows or the third movie yet.

Just let me know when you're ready to work translation.  In the meantime, I'll continue to work on understanding how the game works.  I already have some detailed notes and a decent understanding of what's going on with the rom.

I should probably add these here:

September 27, 2020, 11:34:03 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just posting again to let people know that I will no longer be keeping this thread updated with my progress on this translation after today.  The latest patch can be found here:  English patch version 0.03

I look forward to working with filler on this if he is able to find time for Patlabor when his current projects are complete.  Further progress made by myself can be followed on the Sega-16 forum.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:34:03 am by Barbarian Moham »