News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: R.I.P. to the Nintendo 3DS...  (Read 1079 times)

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
R.I.P. to the Nintendo 3DS...
« on: September 17, 2020, 02:32:35 pm »
I saw the article on my Facebook feed, here's the link.

I played with my 3DS a lot when I was in transitional housing, playing multiplayer in Mario Kart 7 was really fun. Now I'm gonna have to get that Metroid spin-off Federation Force, Triforce Heroes, Pokemon X and Y along with Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I'm guessing the servers to play multiplayer will be going offline, too.

It's all good, I still have a lot of 3DS games I need to finish so it'll get love from me still. :D   

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Re: R.I.P. to the Nintendo 3DS...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 02:50:28 pm »
It's not dead till they stop repairing it!

But it's been a good run. I remember how absolutely mindblowing the glasses-free 3D was when it came out. I hopped a train to Ikebukuro to try a floor model so I could see it with my own eyes.

So many good games. I still have 4 on my to-play list. But mostly, the New 3DS XL is my emulation beast.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 03:56:30 pm »
With the EoL of the 3DS now here, can we expect mods and hacks for the 3DS to be submitted here properly?
Since I believe that was the only thing holding off 3DS submissions (the 3DS currently being sold/available)

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 06:24:48 pm »
I was thoroughly disappointed in the 3ds.

I loved my GBA and DS, and while I was a bit young at the time and did not have an emulation capable PC this last year or so exploring the GB/GBC library properly has warmed me considerably on that (there is often a certain elegant simplicity there).

3ds however... anything that made any of those mentioned above special (I mostly play third party -- other than advance wars and starfy I don't care for Nintendo's efforts) had evaporated. All the devs that did all the things I liked on the GBA and DS had wandered off to do phone and tablet stuff, or got out of games entirely, and nothing appeared to replace it, and what little did appear was usually a tepid retread of some GBA or DS classics that I would usually say skip it in favour of those entries. Homebrew was basically non existent (granted that was probably more the fault of raspberry pis, android and IOS -- AndrIOS gutted DS and PSP homebrew so the 3ds stood no chance really).

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 08:09:51 pm »
I wound up having a friend replace the digitizer on my o3DS XL a few times after I scratched it up, and once after I flat-out dropped the unit. Then the hinge plate broke - and now he's opened it so many times he's reluctant to do so again, which is unfortunate because the R button isn't working well anymore.  So it's a little disappointing that the system isn't more durable.  (ETA: I cracked the circle pad too.  Not sure if it was OlliOlli or Smash Bros.)

More troublesome is the system's reliance on SD cards, and how you have to go plunging into the mysterious world of homebrew and CFW if you want to make decrypted backups.  The "MicroSD Management" app on the N3DS is a step in the right direction, except it relies on an insecure network protocol and leaves you fumbling around blindly.

I'm very reluctant to persistently install CFW since it's not particularly easy to particularly remove it, and there are enough things that can go wrong – and when things go wrong, you just have to hope you can describe your problem well enough that someone somewhere out in The Community might be able to help you.  Flashcarts are so elegantly simple in comparison.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 12:20:08 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 09:14:45 pm »
With the EoL of the 3DS now here, can we expect mods and hacks for the 3DS to be submitted here properly?
Since I believe that was the only thing holding off 3DS submissions (the 3DS currently being sold/available)

Formally, this announcement is for Japan. But really the end is clearly apparent.

Edit: the UK statement on it.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-3DS-Family/Nintendo-3DS-Family-94560.html

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 10:44:11 pm »
It's been a good run for the little box of dreams, just bought Pokémon Ultra Sun yesterday as a proper send off.

I actually stockpiled replacement triggers a awhile ago in case mine breaks again.

Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 11:11:17 pm »
what?! so what's gonna happen to the pokemon servers? a lot of players are going to be wildly pissed if the servers shut down! :o

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 11:47:56 pm »
what?! so what's gonna happen to the pokemon servers? a lot of players are going to be wildly pissed if the servers shut down! :o
I'm willing to bet that the servers will stay up for a very long time.  The Wii Shop was running for twelve years - if the 3DS eShop lasts that long, it's got at least another three.  And even when the Wii Shop closed, the announcement came well over a year in advance.

I think it's good for business if they keep it running as long as possible because it will give consumers confidence that services for the Switch will likewise have great longevity.

Recall that the old Nintendo WFC shut down in part because the servers were out of Nintendo's control.  They did not make that choice with the servers for the 3DS.

(On the other hand, they did shut down the SpotPass servers - but that was another time they partnered with outside entities and by the time they shut down, the local bus station was the only "official" place where I could still use SpotPass.)

I played with my 3DS a lot when I was in transitional housing, playing multiplayer in Mario Kart 7 was really fun. Now I'm gonna have to get that Metroid spin-off Federation Force, Triforce Heroes, Pokemon X and Y along with Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.
I played a lot of Triforce Heroes earlier this year - I figured the quarantine conditions would lead to an uptick in the userbase, but it was still pretty difficult to find a team – especially a reliable one.  I relied heavily on the kindness of the regulars in the Discord.

And I am still very disappointed I missed the last official USUM tournament and couldn't get my Shiny Tapu Koko participation prize. (They dropped that one out of nowhere.)  It was just a little tempting to pay an outrageous price for a code on eBay.

And was there really anyone who liked Federation Force? It didn't seem that way.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 11:58:21 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

progamerjo2000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 12:36:14 pm »
I heard about the 3DS on the radio  :'(
Really sad about it. Because i had so many good memories playing Mario 3D World on it.

On of the best Marios in my opinion.
Luckily Nintendo brings a Switch Version with additional Content next year.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 12:58:26 pm »
Once a console is discontinued with no updates, that's the point when you can start being serious about hacking it.  RIP 3DS, long live the 3DS.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 12:25:16 pm »
This might mean Wii U's online discontinuation will follow. I still play Super Mario Maker on it.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 09:53:00 pm »
This might mean Wii U's online discontinuation will follow.
No one has said anything about online discontinuation yet.  They've only stopped manufacturing new 3DS units.