News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

Should RHDN allow controversial elements in its hacks (total or partial nudity, bad taste humor, social and political satire, etc)?

Yes, of course! Censorship does not belong in the 21st century.
3 (16.7%)
Absolutely not. There are already pages that publish this kind of stuff.
4 (22.2%)
Yes, but only if it is done with respect and good taste.
2 (11.1%)
Always yes, but a rating system (like the ESRB) should be used to warn of inappropriate content.
9 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 20, 2020, 03:50:18 am

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 8  (Read 4747 times)

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
Super Mario Bros. 8
« on: September 07, 2020, 12:38:38 am »
Greetings from Barcelona!

As many will know, bootleg NES games were very popular in countries where this console saw its lifespan extended, thanks to its affordable price.

Especially popular were the games starring Nintendo's mascot, which were basically games that already existed, modified in the most sloppy way to look like one of Mario's adventures:

One of the best is Super Bros. 8. Why? Because the original game (Taito's Don Doko Don 2) is cool! Also, many enemies (like mushroom guys) have a suspicious resemblance to the ones we can see in SMB franchise:

The point is, that a subscriber asked me to improve this game, and since practically EVERYTHING can be improved, I decided to start from zero, using a clean  rom with the English patch.

For the moment I finished with the intro and the title screen:

Now is the time for suggestions.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 8
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 06:44:35 am »
I'd start by giving it a more proper name other then Super Mario Bros 8. Maybe something along the Mario VS Donkey Kong area since Mario is using a hammer. Second, I'd remove the Taito license. Put in your own name there or think of some kind of "company" instead. Maybe you can make it into your own unique Mario adventure game!

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 08:44:31 am »
I'd start by giving it a more proper name other then Super Mario Bros 8. Maybe something along the Mario VS Donkey Kong area since Mario is using a hammer. Second, I'd remove the Taito license. Put in your own name there or think of some kind of "company" instead. Maybe you can make it into your own unique Mario adventure game!

I second that motion. Also, mad props for that beautiful pixel art! :thumbsup:
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 07:39:47 pm »
I second that motion. Also, mad props for that beautiful pixel art! :thumbsup:

The motion is to come up with a non-numerated title.
Chair is in agreement.
Members may now debate before the motion is put to vote.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 09:15:35 pm »
 :o I just thought of something.

This should be renamed to a entry in the Wrecking Crew series. Wrecking Crew and Wrecking Crew '98 exist, so maybe this could be Wrecking Crew 2020 or Wrecking Crew '20?

Just a thought based on the main character's attack with a hammer. Maybe an entry in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series instead? (like Da_GPer mentioned) A Hammerin' Harry crossover? The possibilities are endless.....  :D
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

Xander max

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 09:59:33 pm »
One suggestion is to turn it into Paper Mario!  This game has a history that resembles RPG games, I believe that changing some characters and scenarios would make a beautiful demake.
For you to be inspired: https://youtu.be/eVQOVeIyr6M
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:08:14 pm by Xander max »
Check out dozens of my projects on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdGHNhopquBMifjhdNSWQTA/videos

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 04:03:45 pm »
Thank you for your ideas! Some of them are quite interesting. Make it part of the Paper Mario saga?? Sounds really cool!

The truth is that I want to keep the title as it is, but there are two good reasons:

Firstly, is a request from someone for whom this game is a childhood memory. I don't want to modify it more than necessary, just to make it look part of the Mario franchise.

And secondly, changing its name would make it difficult to find. I mean, people who remember this game know it by that name. Something similar happened to me with my graphical improvement of Street Fighter IV: I decided to change the title to 'Fighter Legend', because the last version of the game removed any reference to Capcom's franchise. Many people found the change odd. That's why I renamed the hack as Street Fighter IV: Enhanced Edition.

I repeat, I love your ideas, and as I update the content of the game I will share it with you so you can give me your opinion.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 06:09:26 pm »
Thank you for your ideas! Some of them are quite interesting. Make it part of the Paper Mario saga?? Sounds really cool!

The truth is that I want to keep the title as it is, but there are two good reasons:

Firstly, is a request from someone for whom this game is a childhood memory. I don't want to modify it more than necessary, just to make it look part of the Mario franchise.

And secondly, changing its name would make it difficult to find. I mean, people who remember this game know it by that name. Something similar happened to me with my graphical improvement of Street Fighter IV: I decided to change the title to 'Fighter Legend', because the last version of the game removed any reference to Capcom's franchise. Many people found the change odd. That's why I renamed the hack as Street Fighter IV: Enhanced Edition.

I repeat, I love your ideas, and as I update the content of the game I will share it with you so you can give me your opinion.

If you feel like it you can make two patches, each with a different title on the title screen.  :)

But I get where you're coming from and I'll stand behind whatever decision you make. :thumbsup:

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 04:15:49 pm »
Hi bros!

I have waited to have solid advances to show you. Here is a demonstration of the intro, compared to the original and the Chinese bootleg:
https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1302837439975874561?s=20

Now, I have a functional sprite of Mario carrying the weapons, walking, jumping, dying, etc. There are 2 frames that I'm not sure where they appear, but in the process of testing the whole game I will find out.

I have replaced the generic mushroom guys with goombas. I'm also replacing those enemies that have an obvious counterpart in the SMB world, like the giant walking worm or squids from water sections, and the enemies that seem uninspired, but I want to keep those that have their own charm (a flying pig?? I love it!)

Now, some questions:

I don't like these mini-mushrooms that appear on the screenshot. They just jump vertically like an obstacle, and share a color palette with the goombas. The most obvious solution would be to replace them also with goombas, but I am not 100% convinced, because that would give little variety (there are already walking goombas and fire-spitting goombas). Ideas?

The item of the top bar that looks like a kind of winged dragon does not convince me either. When you gather 20 your life meter increases. The problem is that it shares a color palette with many elements in the background, like the blue sky, the water... Can you suggest something?

And finally, rabbits and stone monsters. The first ones are quite "meh", the second ones I thought to replace them with Thwomps (the giant stones with spikes).

Thanks in advance for your help and support  ;)

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 04:47:59 pm »
1 - I love everything that's been done so far, it all looks high quality.
2 - Jumping mushrooms could be replaced with Thwimps, those jumping fire things from Super Mario World's forest levels, a galoomba, or a winged Goomba from Mario 3
3- Winged Dragon could be a mushroom, coins, or what I would choose: a P wing from Mario 3 (other choices could come from the mario rpgs which I'd bet have healing items)
4- the bunnies could be replaced with those jumping flies from Super Mario Land and Mario Bros. Arcade, either one would be cool.

Keep up the good work! I'm very excited to see this get finished. :thumbsup:

progamerjo2000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 02:08:52 pm »
This awakens memories of the old days. ;D

It looks very good. The texture could be more precise. And i agree the bunnies seem a bit wrong there. Maybe some bees or different bugs.
I am looking forward to see the final version and maybe get the hands on it.

Good luck.

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 02:34:59 pm »
Greetings from Barcelona, and thanks!

I hope to finish it soon. It' s still in development, so I can add improvements. Here's a little sprite test to show how it's going:

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1307354740540530690?s=20

When I complete the first level I'll share a little gameplay.

By the way, what do you mean that the texture could be more precise?

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 02:37:11 pm »
Greetings from Barcelona, and thanks!

I hope to finish it soon. It' s still in development, so I can add improvements. Here's a little sprite test to show how it's going:

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1307354740540530690?s=20

When I complete the first level I'll share a little gameplay.

By the way, what do you mean that the texture could be more precise?

WOW. That Thwomp looks absolutely amazing and VERY fitting.

Also I think he means the background textures, which do look a little too natural compared to Super Mario World's geometric natural environment.

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 10:56:49 pm »
Fresh news! (and a gameplay) ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAcZWv1b114&t=173s&ab_channel=CryingOnion

I finished the title screen, intro + 1st world. You can take a look. Now, 4 worlds+ending of work awaits me. Of course, I still need suggestions (some of them was very useful, as you can see on the video). Thanks to everyone for your support!

Also I think he means the background textures, which do look a little too natural compared to Super Mario World's geometric natural environment.

It's certainly the closest clone to Mario you'll find on the NES (and the most fun), but it's still not Mario. I think of it as the game that Taito would have created with Nintendo's permission.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 07:10:11 am »
Fresh news! (and a gameplay) ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAcZWv1b114&t=173s&ab_channel=CryingOnion

I finished the title screen, intro + 1st world. You can take a look. Now, 4 worlds+ending of work awaits me. Of course, I still need suggestions (some of them was very useful, as you can see on the video). Thanks to everyone for your support!

It's certainly the closest clone to Mario you'll find on the NES (and the most fun), but it's still not Mario. I think of it as the game that Taito would have created with Nintendo's permission.

Honestly the backgrounds dont bother me, I was just trying to put myself in the mindset of the other commentator. That being said, a slight change in scenery would be cool if you had time left over, like the first level changing to the Forest of Illusion from Mario World and the second level changing to the Caves from Mario World or Yoshis Island.

September 21, 2020, 07:50:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I love what you've done with the sprites! The goombas look amazing, the galoombas look great too, is that Witch supposed to be the Rosalina Witch costume from Mario Kart Tour? :D You're attention to detail is astounding and impressive!!! I do still have some suggestions though, not critical ones, just things that haven't been changed yet (afaik) that I have a thousand ideas swirling in my head about.
1 - The King in the King and Queen duo in the intro cutscene could be changed to one of the Kings from SMB3
2 - The Diamonds could be changed to coins
3 - The Staff (the first hammer powerup, the one that kinda looks like a Final Fantasy staff?) could be changed to a Fire Flower to better match its capabilities.
4 - I know you liked some of the original enemies, but I thought the Flying Pig could be changed to a Lakitu, a Waddlewing (NSMBU), or a BunBun from Mario Land 1 (the bee that throws spears).
5 - Those hopping enemies that pop up when you first enter the Ice Level could bee those chubby enemies from the Ice stages of SMB2 (Doki Doki panic).

I hope these suggestions prove useful! Your vision is going to be the one that matters most but I just wanted to help a little. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 07:50:33 am by Supergamerguy »

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 08:11:47 am »
wow ... great art work sprite type art mario bros. :thumbsup:

you could add a mario with mace from Donkey kong Dx or Game & Watch Gallery by GameBoy.

This other Korean title "without a license" Buzz & Waldog (Koko Adventure) has mechanics and a graphic base practically from Super Mario World, you could use it for another future project with his talent as a sprite illustrator, he could replace the characters and enemies with a sprite from another Mario title, for example Mario is Missing for Nes (which are Mario World sprites for Nes) and rename Mario & Luigi (
Mushroom Adventure) :beer:

Buzz & Waldog (Koko Adventure)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adyTqpoLloo&ab_channel=WakkoWarner123

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:25:51 am by cartridge_rom »

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 08:54:15 am »
I got some more suggestions after watching more of the video and cooking up some ideas!

First of all, I think the Kamek and Fighter Fly sprites are awesome! They fit right in with the atmosphere.

1 - Hammer with Bouncy Ball: Boomerang Flower or Super Ball Flower (Mario Land) or even a Piranha Plant
2 - Bat thing (in the opening cutscene): Swooper
3 - King in opening cutscene: Water Land King (World 3 King from Mario 3 - resembles a Frog when transformed and looks like Mario when he's saved)
4 -  Key: change to look more like Mario World Key
5- Coin: Yellow Coins (Blue Diamonds) and Red Coins (Red Diamonds)
6- Springs: Mario World Springs
7 - Cave Worm (if possible change to look more like Wiggler, it looks like you may have already done some work on this and I encourage you to take the edit a bit further, especially on the facial features!)
Little Devil Bat thing (shoots fire in the cave) - Chicken (final Level of Mario Land)

As always, keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing and playing the Final Product! ;D

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 08:37:45 pm »

Unfortunately, these days I haven't been able to make much progress on the project. These weeks I've eaten little and slept less, so I've felt a bit tired and uninspired, which hasn't stopped me from taking advantage of the opportunity to polish the project instead of moving forward, to the point that the video I showed in my previous post now looks outdated. As you can see in the image, I have used some of your excellent ideas:

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 10:43:53 pm »

Unfortunately, these days I haven't been able to make much progress on the project. These weeks I've eaten little and slept less, so I've felt a bit tired and uninspired, which hasn't stopped me from taking advantage of the opportunity to polish the project instead of moving forward, to the point that the video I showed in my previous post now looks outdated. As you can see in the image, I have used some of your excellent ideas:

Take your time man, your health comes before this hack ;). But I'd be lying if I didnt say this hack looks stunning. All of the changes are phenominal and really make this feel more like a real Mario game every minute. Keep up the good work when you can!

September 29, 2020, 09:46:33 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey I had a few more thoughts I wanted to put out here:

1 - What is the exclamation mark for? I'm not criticizing it (it's fine), I was just wondering what it's a "reference" to or what Mario connection it has.
2 - Can you change the log (that takes you to the hidden door in the first level) to the logs from Butter Bridge in Super Mario World (https://giantbomb1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/2/26740/1068955-twin_bridges.png)
3 - I also have some new ideas for the first Boss (I know you already changed it to a pumpkin face, so that's fine if you want to ignore this):
* Tutankoopa (Paper Mario - Tutankoopa acts as body and Chain Chomps act as arms)
* Naval Piranha (Yoshi's Island - Maybe make his body fade in from the black background and the vines match up almost perfectly with this bosses' vines)
* Lava Piranha (Paper Mario - similar to ^)
*Count Bleck (Super Paper Mario)
5 - The Bouncy Ball Hammer could be changed to Bowser's hammers from Super Mario Bros. 1, or the Trio Attack Hammer from Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, Mario's Hammer from Mario Kart Arcade GP, or maybe a Fire hammer from Paper Mario Origami King
6 - The Wiggler resprite looks much more accurate than the one from Don Doko Don 2, but I still feel like the face is a little bit off, would you be willing to attempt to maybe give it a nose or make it closer to the Wiggler's face (small eyes, big cheeks on the face, etc.)?
7 - Can you also try to remove the one line of color below Mario's (and Luigi's) hat and make it match his skin tone? That may be shading on the part of the sprite, so either way is fine in the end.
8 - The Flying Demon/Bat-like thing in the Cave/Tree section could be changed to an Albatoss from Mario 2
9 - Those Penguin-like enemies (with swords) in the Ice Cave section of the first world could be changed to Bumpties (Bumpty) from Yoshi's Island

Sorry for demanding so much. :D Hope these can help instead of hinder! I'll be watching more of the original game to contribute more ideas to ease the creative process.

September 29, 2020, 10:38:16 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, so looking at the water levels I was yet again struck with new ideas for what could be (shocker, right?).
1 - the Mermen that carry tridents could be changed to Bloopers (or even Big Berthas from Mario 3, but that might take a bit of shrinking and stretching to make it work)
2 - The Jellyfish could be changed to Cheep Cheeps (or the stationary Jellyfish from Mario 3, or even a Jellybeam from New Super Mario Bros. Wii, though those aren't enemies in that game as far as I know)
3 - The Starfish trapped in the rock of the water level could be changed to Zeostars from Super Mario RPG and the Clams that can help give you bubble platforms can be based off of the Clams from New Super Mario Bros. Wii
4 - The rocky gray platform that moves up and down can be changed to the Steel Beam platforms from Mario 1, or the thick, wooden platforms from Mario 3, or even the Coral Covered platform seen in this image of New Super Mario Bros. U: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/E6u60B1mRz8/maxresdefault.jpg
5 - The breakable blocks just to the right of the first moving rock platform could be changed to Brick blocks
6 - The big crab enemy might be able to be changed to Clawgrip from Super Mario Bros. 2 (Doki Doki Panic in Japan)
7 - The robotic looking Sharks could be changed to the skeletal Fish Bones (Super Mario World), Sharks with Boxing Gloves (Super Mario Land 2), or Torpedo Teds (Super Mario World), or Yurarin (Mario Land)
8 - The Winged Hammer could be changed to the hammer Olivia turns into in Paper Mario: the Origami King (https://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/0/09/PMOK_Olivia_Hammer.jpg/180px-PMOK_Olivia_Hammer.jpg)
9 - The Hermit Crabs could be changed to Sidesteppers (from Mario Bros. arcade) or Huckit Crabs (from New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
10 - The Robotic Octopuses could be changed to Pako, the Octopus boss from Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins or Gunions (from Super Mario Land)

11 - The Pirate Flag on the Pirate Ship section could be changed to a Bowser or Bowser Jr. Flag
12 - The Pirate Pigs could be Koopa Troopas (all variations and styles), and the one Pig that kicks barrels could be a Spike from Mario 3
13 - The Guillotine-like Enemies might be Piranha Plants, Chain Chomps, Diggas (Mario Galaxy 2), or Hoopsters (from Mario 2/Doki Doki Panic)
14 - the Cannonball launchers could easily be replaced with the Cannonball/Bob-omb launchers from Mario 3
15 - The Little Sharks that Jump out of the Water could be replaced with Honens (Mario Land) or Trouters (Super Mario Bros. 2/Doki Doki Panic)
16 - The barrels that can be seen in the background and that the Pirate Pigs kick at you can be adapted from the Donkey Kong barrel style (sprites from original game or spinoffs would be cool)

17 - The Clamshell Siren Boss could be changed to Birdo (as the female antagonist), the entire thing (antagonist, clamshell, and all) can be changed to Big Bertha (from Mario 3), Dragonzamazu (Super Mario Land Water Boss), or an Urchin (Super Mario World).

Take of this what you will and get better!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 10:58:22 pm by Supergamerguy »

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 10:00:30 pm »
I feel overwhelmed with all these ideas! :laugh:. Unfortunately, some of them are not practicable. Others just don't feel like they fit in the project (remember that I'm looking for a balance between adding Mario elements and keeping those that have their own charm). Others as you can see in the link are excellent and I'm putting them into practice :thumbsup::

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1312198351400517633?s=20

I know the Wiggler looks weird. Trust me, I did my best. The problem is how the worm sprite works. Maybe this picture will help me to explain it:

First I tried to get the Wiggler to walk instead of crawling like a worm... WRONG :banghead:: The front section of the sprite includes the first pair of feet and does not move. The result was quite strange.

Then I made an 100% accurate Wiggler face, and once again, bad idea: The mouth animation uses a small 16x8 portion right on the edge. That forced me to redraw the face of the wiggler in side. I tried to save the accurate design, but it was unworkable. In the end I decided to create a "hybrid", using the original worm as basis so that the animation would work well.

You can be sure that I'll try something with the hermit crabs in the next section. The main handicap is the design using only half a sprite (the other half is the same sprite reflected like a mirror, which forces me to use a character seen from the front and symmetrical).

And you can bet that Pako will be in the game! Fits 100% and I like his grumpy look.

I really appreciate your contributions, and in whatever way possible, I would like to credit it when the project is finished ( maybe as "artistic consulting").

P.S. Stay tuned! when I finish World 2 I will post a new video.