News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to: Command line tool  (Read 1191 times)

EmRoKtheVerdant

• Romhacking since August 2020
    • View Profile
How to: Command line tool
« on: September 02, 2020, 10:47:21 pm »
Noob here.
I'm trying to open a command line tool to extract PS1 bin files to edit text. I was suggested to find a tutorial on how to open the tool, but Google did not help. Any command I found did nothing or I'm inputting the file path wrong.

I know everyone hates answering obvious questions and I really am sorry to ask this. Can anyone help me out? How do I open it?
Discord ID EmRoK#9144

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Re: How to: Command line tool
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 11:12:43 pm »
I copy cmd from system 32 folder in windows and put it in the same directory as the tool then open cmd from there. Not the best way to do it but it works sometimes when you can’t get the path right. What tool is it?

EmRoKtheVerdant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 12:33:42 am »
It came from here. https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/464/

Trying to familiarize myself with the toolset. It started with a program called extract.exe to uncompile the game (I think that's the right term). There are other programs that behave similarly too.

Is cmd the same as command prompt? If so I copied it, but it still won't open. What command should I be doing?
Discord ID EmRoK#9144

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 05:45:21 am »
You need to run the command prompt until it appears. The command prompt is the big black or blue box where arcane text appears, and into which you can type things. Try running it from Windows Accessories in the Start Menu, which is where I think it's found.

Click into the command prompt to enter text. Type a command an press enter to do that command. Folder is another word for directory.

dir lets you view the contents of a directory. You can type it alone to view the contents of the current directory, or type the name of a directory to view that directory. It helps to press the tab key after typing the first few letters of a directory, as this autocompletes. Might be a couple second delay.

cd lets you change a directory. Type cd and then the name of a directory to switch to that directory. Type cd .. to move up or back one directory.

You can also autocorrect the names of programs you have in a directory, again by using the tab key.

cd and dir are completely harmless, spend a few minutes cd-ing around and dir-ing things to get the hang of it, and to understand how to get from where the command prompt starts to where your personal files are located.

Type the name of a command followed by --help (which is called a parameter) to get more info on using that command.

GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 09:10:11 am »
I copy cmd from system 32 folder in windows and put it in the same directory as the tool then open cmd from there.
System32 is in the PATH environment variable by default, so it is accessible from the Windows Explorer address bar. Just open up any old folder, type cmd in the address bar and hit ENTER.

EmRoKtheVerdant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 11:03:34 am »
Thanks MysticLord, I can now use command prompt to get to the directory where the program is. But I still can't open the program itself. If it isn't "START" then what is it?

I probably should've mentioned earlier, my OS is Windows 10. I don't know if that limits my options in terms of commands. Sorry about that  :-[

Maybe showing what I'm doing will help?

C:\Users\My Name\Desktop\xenogears_translation_tools>extract.exe
Xenogears Mani Disk Dumper v0.967
 Created by graph and _Ombra_

C:\Users\My Name\Desktop\xenogears_translation_tools>START extract.exe
nothing happens
Discord ID EmRoK#9144

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 11:27:30 am »
@GuyPerfect
I did say:
Not the best way to do it

There are many ways to use the command prompt. You can even have a bat file.
Sometimes for people that never use a command prompt they forget how it works
and how to set the path and sometimes its easier to just add the cmd file to
your folder that your tool is in so you don't have to type the path that the
tool is in. Just open cmd and your there.

@EmRoKtheVerdant
Did you try this? I dont have the game to test.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 11:33:25 am by slidelljohn »

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 11:28:04 am »
Is this the download for these tools?

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/464/

I'll try them out.

BTW, Powershell is quite a bit nicer than the command prompt, you could use that too for the same tasks. Should be somewhere in your Windows start folder.

edit

Try as slidejohn suggests:
extractexe xenogears.iso

Where "xenogears.iso" is whatever you named your disc image. Or you could just type the first 2 or 3 letters of the disc image and then hit tab to autocomplete.

Most command line programs require the name of the file they're operating on as a parameter, separated by a space.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 11:34:47 am by MysticLord »

EmRoKtheVerdant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 11:49:13 am »
It works! It can extract bin files fine it seems. Now I can really get started.

Thank you all! It's no exaggeration to say that I couldn't have done this without you.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 11:56:44 am by EmRoKtheVerdant »
Discord ID EmRoK#9144

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 11:57:14 am »
Awesome! :woot!:

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 12:14:12 pm »
Glad I could help, but I wish the authors had included some basic instructions for newbies in their documentation. Oh well.

EmRoKtheVerdant

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 01:22:37 pm »
So the PDF is vague after all. I'm glad its not just me being stupid.
Discord ID EmRoK#9144

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 11:32:31 am »
Someone made this thing called "Console Compromise" once for those who can't stand the command prompt, but it seems it never really took off.
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1284/

I copy cmd from system 32 folder in windows and put it in the same directory as the tool then open cmd from there. Not the best way to do it but it works sometimes when you can’t get the path right.
Except maybe in old versions of Windows, you can shift-right-click any folder and select "Open command window here".
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!