News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Emotémon: Crowd Control esque utility for Pokemon FireRed  (Read 1050 times)

DoomInAJar

• View Profile
Emotémon: Crowd Control esque utility for Pokemon FireRed
« on: August 19, 2020, 09:53:39 pm »
Hello everyone!

I'm working on a project that I'm calling Emotémon. It's a Crowd Control esque utility for Twitch streamers playing Pokemon FireRed. When someone in chat types “!pokemon [emote]”, that emote will appear as a Pokemon in-game. I have a demo video of it here.

Note that this is a project that I had stopped working on a few years ago and that I'm now trying to revive; the video and screenshot are from the old version. The old version also relied on what are now deprecated APIs and thus no longer functions.

Features:
  • Pokemon encountered in the wild and Pokemon owned by other trainers will be Emote Pokemon (provided someone has used the !pokemon command)
  • !pokemon command supports optional [type] parameters so that the type(s) of the Pokemon can be specified
  • Compatible with global Twitch emotes, Twitch subscriber emotes, and Franker Face Z emotes
  • Emote Pokemon are given a random moveset, types (unless specified), and moves learnable
  • Configuration options:
    • limit the number of emotes that a single user can have in the queue
    • allow/disallow duplicate emotes

Potential new features:
  • Name Trainers after people in chat
  • Saving (currently if you restart the emulation your Emote Pokemon will turn back into regular Pokemon)
  • use mGBA as the required emulator instead of VBA-rr
  • launcher application
  • bugfixes (known bugs listed in the old github page)

Links:
Github (old): https://github.com/bacowan/DoomRed
Github (new): https://github.com/bacowan/Emotemon

I'd love to hear any ideas for new Twitch integration features that anyone may have too!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 12:42:30 am by DoomInAJar »

DoomInAJar

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon DoomRed: Crowd Control esque utility for Pokemon FireRed
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 12:44:20 am »
Pretty much everything is working as it was in the original version, the only thing that's missing being FrankerFaceZ emotes (it turns out that there are multiple FrankerFaceZ emotes with the same name, so I need to come up with a way to distinguish them from one another).

The biggest change from the original is that there's now a launcher for the bot: instead of having to download and install python, edit a .config file, and then start the bot through the command line there will be a .exe that will handle that for you. The launcher also includes a dashboard for when the bot is running that shows the emote queue as well as some logs. I'd like to come up with a way to launch the emulator and load in the lua script automatically as well, but for now you have to launch the game and the bot separately.

I've also changed the name from Doom Red to Emotémon. Doom Red was basically just my username combined with Fire Red, and people are likely to assume it's somehow related to the id Software Doom games.

Sara-chan

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Divine Blade
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
Re: Emotémon: Crowd Control esque utility for Pokemon FireRed
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 06:42:54 pm »
This looks like a lot of fun. I hope you can get saving working!
In a sky full of people, only some want to fly.
Isn't that crazy?

DoomInAJar

• View Profile
Re: Emotémon: Crowd Control esque utility for Pokemon FireRed
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 10:41:36 pm »
This looks like a lot of fun. I hope you can get saving working!

Thanks! That's actually the next thing I'm planning on working on. For now I'll probably just save the data for whatever Pokemon you've captured to a file, so it shouldn't be too too difficult.