News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: BS Fire Emblem, the Satellaview Fire Emblem title, translated  (Read 2186 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Darrman

BS Fire Emblem: Akaneia Saga was a game broadcast for Nintendo's Satellaview peripheral. Players had one hour in order to defeat as many enemies as they could while fulfilling various objectives. Using the capabilities of the Satellaview's Soundlink technology, voice acting could be streamed to players as the story unfolded. The game was divided into four episodes, each with different casts and goals to accomplish.

BS Fire Emblem was broadcast three times before vanishing into the mists of time.
However, some enthusiasts managed to preserve the ROM data for each of the episodes. These did not contain the entirety of the original broadcasts; most notably, the opening illustrations and voice acting were missing. The gameplay itself was completely intact - only the presentation was affected.

Darrman, a Fire Emblem ROM hacker, was curious about BS Fire Emblem. He had worked on translating a hack of Mystery of the Emblem prior and noticed the two games were very similar. After he read up on how to calculate Satellaview checksums, the translation effort began. Work progressed rapidly as the majority of text could simply be reused from the previous hack translation.

And so, BS Fire Emblem: Akaneia Saga, the long-overlooked Fire Emblem Satellaview spinoff, has been translated. With this, every single entry of the Fire Emblem series can be played from start to finish in the English language.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

kaiisen

• View Profile
Has anyone confirmed if this game won't run on Snex9x? Other BS games runs fine so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. I get stuck at black screen after loading the game data(patched or not) :-\

d0pefish

• View Profile
yes it works on snes9x. you need the bs bios file. if your using retropie it has to be named correctly and placed in the bios folder. i think its bs-x.bin . You then have to load the game through the bios program town thing. (the town whose name was stolen) go to your house and load the game. I used the english translation of the bios file. 

kaiisen

• View Profile
That's exactly what I'm doing on Snes9x and it just won't work =/

I'm loading BS on slot A, and the game on slot B, configure everything and still get a black screen once I start the game from Home in Satella.

I've tested other BS games and they run just fine tho.

EDIT: found the problem. Just realized that the extension was different, so instead of loading BS from MultiCart, I renamed the bios from .sfc to just .bin so now Snes9x will just load it automatically(don't need MultiCart, just load the game), then I just started the game from Home and now it worked. Not sure why the other BS games I tested haven't required to follow this procedure. Thank you :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 06:24:08 pm by kaiisen »

d0pefish

• View Profile
yeah i had some problems at first getting the game to load too. Originally i had the untranslated bios and that worked fine but when i tried to patch it to english I noticed i had 3 bios files, a .bin, a.smc and a .sfc and they all had different names but the same crc32 number so i patched all of them and renamed them to bs-x and tried them one at a time until it finally worked when i used bs-x.bin thanks to trial and error. I also had a hard time just finding the correct roms as they were not in any of my complete romsets but after a half hour of google and duckduckgo I was finally able to locate them. So yeah getting this to run was quite a process.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I kinda disappointed with this translation cuz you still using names taken from other fan-translation just like with others too made by you (Darrman). So what's the point? Is there something wrong? Do i really like enjoying character names sounding? like Rena instead of Lena, Nina instead of Nyna (might be referring to another Fates character), but not instead like nowadays? I don't.  :banghead:
TwitterYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Random Byte

• View Profile
Those having trouble should try "English+NoDRM" BS-X.bin (BS-X project website) - On first run you'll have to enter name and gender. On entering the "BIOS city" turn back and enter the same building you got out of - the first option will run the game.

Maybe there is a way to run the rom directly but I have not figured it out yet (on Snes9x RA).

Darrman

• View Profile
Updated to v1.01. This is now in the queue.

Bandits in Episode 2 had their names broken. This has been fixed.

While the update is being processed, it can be downloaded from here in the meantime.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
In the No-Intro database these variations from weeks 1 and 4 appear:

-BS Fire Emblem - Akaneia Senki Hen - Dai-1-wa - Palace Kanraku (Japan) (4-4) (SoundLink)
-BS Fire Emblem - Akaneia Senki Hen - Dai-1-wa - Palace Kanraku (Japan) (9-29) (SoundLink)
-BS Fire Emblem - Akaneia Senki Hen - Dai-4-wa - Hajimari no Toki (Japan) (4-28) (SoundLink)
-BS Fire Emblem - Akaneia Senki Hen - Dai-4-wa - Hajimari no Toki (Japan) (4-29) (SoundLink)

Which ones should I patch on?

soulfunkdjx

• View Profile
Re: Translations: BS Fire Emblem, the Satellaview Fire Emblem title, translated
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 02:47:39 am »
Hello guys. I have the bs-x.sfc bios english nodrm version and i also have the rom.
1) I am trying to play the game on Pc with Snes9x and is booting ok but when i go to my house i can't find the game to load it. Where should i copy the rom so i can load it from the bios menu?
2) Also i am trying the same on retropie with no luck. I copied bios to bios folder and the rom to rom's folder but the game is not running, not even the bios menu.
I don't know where to copy each file in two situations. Someone please help me?

September 19, 2020, 08:50:32 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hello guys. I have the bs-x.sfc bios english nodrm version and i also have the rom.
1) I am trying to play the game on Pc with Snes9x and is booting ok but when i go to my house i can't find the game to load it. Where should i copy the rom so i can load it from the bios menu?
2) Also i am trying the same on retropie with no luck. I copied bios to bios folder and the rom to rom's folder but the game is not running, not even the bios menu.
I don't know where to copy each file in two situations. Someone please help me?

So I figured it out how to make it work. On SNES9X emulator,you have to copy the renamed bios as BS-X.bin to the bios folder, then run emulator, choose the game you want and automatically will load the bios menu. Through there you can choose your game.

On retropie you must install IR-Snes9x. copy the renamed bios as BS-X.bin to the bios folder, then from gamelist choose and run the game you want and automatically will load the bios menu. Through there you can choose your game.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:50:32 am by soulfunkdjx »