News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Super Mario Kart - The Impala Battles updated  (Read 591 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Super Mario Kart - The Impala Battles updated
« on: August 14, 2020, 08:20:38 am »

Update By: Ok Impala!

In 2002 Super Mario Kart - The Impala Battles was released. Back then it was the first Super Mario Kart mod to be released on Romhacking.net

It was the time long before Epic Edit saw the light of day, so editing Mario Kart was still a slow and difficult process. The limitations at the time caused some issues in The Impala Battles that couldn't be solved.

Almost 18 years after the release of The Impala Battles, v1.1 finally fixes all the issues players had with the original mod. You can see this new version as a small appetizer to the release of Super Mario Kart - Epic Racers, which is nearing a finished state.

Until that release, please enjoy the classic Impala Battles once again with your friends!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Super Mario Kart - The Impala Battles updated
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 02:01:03 am »
When I try to wright up a review it wants me to log in again when I happen to be logged in already. This is bizarre and my old review is still in place making it appear as if this update is not so good. I will leave a review here and give my thoughts. Hopefully the RHDN team can update this or something and be sure to integrate it with the old review as to show the update has taken place.

BATTLE MODE battle tracks changed
The Impala Battles remaster
Everything that was wrong with this before has been addressed and fixed. Being the original did not have a editing tool like Epic Edit I have to say it was ambitious and did a good job for the tools available at the time. Epic edit allowed the true ambition come fourth and shine. Myself and Robg1979 played many rounds and loved it. We played 2 different versions of the game. My old review mentions using Epic Edit to fix the mentioned issues. I fixed these years ago and changed much of the arenas. SO I had remastered this some time ago on my own changing bits of the arenas layout as well which goes beyond the description of the review from that time. There were things Rob like more in mine while there were things Rob liked more in Ok Impalas remaster while one of my recreations made rob want to quit. With that being said Ok Impala did a glorious job at fixing everything. Here is a description Rob left me in Discord "there was some absolutely awesome battles going down. When we were down to one balloon each the strategy was brilliant. Lots of laugh out loud moments as well."

The details
This hack focuses on the four battle tracks being completely changed and remastered. Focusing on that alone. Level design is all new and most enjoyable. The first battle arena used to be hard to traverse while this remaster opens up for some extra room in the redesign. All the item boxes in all 4 arenas have been addressed with repositioning into locations worthy of what makes for a good game. Lakitu problems positioning the player outside of the arena was fixed on all the arenas. This made for a fun filled epic battle like it should be.

GAME BREAKING!!! Not at all. Nothing went wrong!

Conclusion If you have a desire to play a new set of battle arenas I highly recommend this rom hack. The game play for the Koopa beach is unlike anything you ever battled in prior. Evading red shells in deep water hole while most of the beach is open road to fly around the arena like a maniac with to little room to allow you to spin out making for a perfect driving experience. As Ok Impala! states Enjoy the classic Impala Battles once again with your friends! Now in a state worth playing every second of it with fun filled laugh out loud moments of the Impala Battles

Compatibility PC yes SD2Snes Yes UFO pro8 Yes Snes Mini Yes
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:49:26 pm by thedarkbanshee »