News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Font suggestions to match Japanese Font Style?  (Read 445 times)

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Font suggestions to match Japanese Font Style?
« on: August 30, 2020, 11:12:07 pm »
Hello! I recently got a Mega Drive/Genesis Mini, and being able to play my own work on official hardware has inspired me to go back and polish some of my old patches. First and foremost is my addendum to Rent a Hero.

I'll actually be releasing an interim fix (v0.98) shortly that deals with several text issues people have emailed me about. One of the main things I'd like to do though, is create better town name graphics on the map:

Any suggestions on an English font that would look similar in style to the original Japanese one? Or at least look better than the hand-drawn one I made myself?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Font suggestions to match Japanese Font Style?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 11:32:44 am »
Japanese font styles and Roman language font styles/descriptions are somewhat different ( https://i.imgur.com/tFEDS.png ), and that is before we consider imperial seal script (thankfully none of that here, nor in many games save decoration and puzzles).

That Japanese one looks like a gothic font, more square than rounded/maru, though with the odd shading and applying a slight blur and monitor/CRT effect it might be going for something a bit less harsh/more rounded in appearance. The Roman character stuff also looked a bit odd under such effects ( http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/ being a nice intro to such things for those not used to it).

On the image though that hand drawn one would fit well enough in a comic, which given the context of the game is no bad thing. I will however give most would probably expect to see that sort of design in a fantasy game. To that end I would ask do you really want a gothic looking font in the translation? I doubt the Japanese one was picked for anything more than "it works on CRT and looks vaguely modern". If we were doing just normal images then that would be one thing but I am not sure what I have for 16 bit era fonts at this point.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Re: Font suggestions to match Japanese Font Style?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 10:14:14 am »
FAST6196: Thanks, that was really interesting information on the CRT effect! I had never considered that graphics were created with those monitors in mind, but it makes sense once it's pointed out.

I guess a better question would have been "Do you have any suggestions for fonts that would look good in this style?". I don't mind taking a "regular" font and converting it to use the more limited colors (it's what I did for Tag Tamers for example, and I only had 3 colors to work with there).