News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Need help identifying compressed assets in Pilotwings ROM (SNES)  (Read 1710 times)

Everything

• View Profile
I wrote a C++ program to compress and decompress graphics and other assets for Pilotwings (SNES). Before I post it on the main rhdn page I was hoping folks more familiar with this game could help me to identify some of the assets. I didn't include the decompressed data for fear of copyright infringement, but I did include a list of offsets where the compressed data is located in the ROM, so if you run the decompression program on a Pilotwings ROM with those offsets you should be able to make a set of decompressed files for all of the assets.

In particular, I couldn't find the graphics for the rocket belt. Maybe it's in there somewhere and I just missed it. Among other things, I believe the dragonfly sprites that were used in an early version of Pilotwings are actually still in the ROM. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement them and make the dragonfly playable though. There's more info in the readme.

pw_decomp v1.0: https://www.mediafire.com/file/1er243pyc8nmxa5/pw_decomp_v1_0.zip/file

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help identifying compressed assets in Pilotwings ROM (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 12:45:29 pm »
Among other things, I believe the dragonfly sprites that were used in an early version of Pilotwings are actually still in the ROM. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement them and make the dragonfly playable though.
Are you saying you've found something that hasn't been documented in https://tcrf.net/Pilotwings ?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Everything

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 05:47:45 pm »
Are you saying you've found something that hasn't been documented in https://tcrf.net/Pilotwings ?

Actually never mind what I said about the dragonfly. It looks like that was actually the bird man graphics for one of the bonus stages. Sorry, I don't know this game very well.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 07:11:05 am »
I'd be surprised if anyone was familiar with a game so unpopular.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 10:53:27 am »
I'd be surprised if anyone was familiar with a game so unpopular.
It got a lot more attention lately with the HD Mode 7 emulation.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Goemon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 03:40:49 am »
Pilotwings was never unpopular it is just not so popular like Super Mario Kart.
It is a great game.