News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Spider-Man games for Xbox 360...  (Read 1610 times)

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
The Spider-Man games for Xbox 360...
« on: April 16, 2020, 05:50:52 pm »
I was looking trough my Xbox 360 collection and I notice that I don't have 'em. What are your thoughts on the Spider-Man games for Xbox 360, are they any good? I do have a few Marvel games and even though I'm not really a fan of Marvel (I'm more of a DC Comics fan) the games I have are pretty fun. I have...

1. Marvel Ultimate Alliance
2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
3. The Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer
4. Deadpool (decided to buy it after I played the hack)

Any tips on the Spider-Man games for Xbox 360 would be really helpful, thanks fellas. :D 

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: The Spider-Man games for Xbox 360...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 06:59:23 pm »
For the most part this was the last gasp for tie in/cash in games, and while Marvel was on something of a roll it had not yet become what it eventually morphed into, and many treated them accordingly and just had rushed cash in type things. To that end you might be harder pressed to find that many that played them, especially around here.

I am not going to say 360 spiderman does not have its fans but you are not going to see the same kind of fondness for them like you will for the PS1 and PS2 efforts (the web swinging sections were a lot of people's zone out and relax type game), or the more recent PS4 exclusive one.
I mostly played them round friends when I did. In general I will not be adding them to my 360 collection, even if I see them for £1 each in a charity shop or something. In general I don't care to play as a character from something else (same universe is a different matter) but if it is your thing then you might be more forgiving. Price wise they also seem pretty high in some places I was searching for this, though I don't know if that is a sign of the times (360 games, consoles and the like have been creeping up in price this last year or three). If you are doing alt versions as well then do check out what happens for the various consoles they might be on -- some of the handheld stuff did pretty well (if they did not much care what happened for the console editions they certainly did not for the handhelds, and occasionally letting programmers run free does make for interesting results) and was rather different.

On the flip side if you never played the PS1 and PS2 efforts (both of which I imagine have not aged the best) and rinsed those I could see you having a pretty good time here with something like The Amazing Spider-Man, if not a very challenging one (at which point you would be pointed towards the Batman Arkham games, especially if DC is more your thing). If you are going to do The Amazing Spider-Man 2, most people generally noting it as a lazy sequel to a promising game, then maybe consider the xbone or PS4 version if you can as the 360 was rather long in the tooth by this point and the port/version not the best (not sure what any title updates might do for you).
The standalone games (Edge of Time and Shattered Dimensions) were theoretically supposed to be for fans of the comics (I only ever watched the TV shows/cartoons and they barely touched upon anything covered here) but usually fell flat. That said if you liked the Ultimate Alliance games you might like Shattered Dimensions.
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe is what it is.
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows... minimum viable product for an open world spiderman game is probably how I would describe that one.

Don't think he was in any Lego games around then, certainly not any ones based on him. They can be fun though.

So yeah mostly what would be known as rental games in my youth.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 07:52:41 pm »
I have a stack of the 360 Spider-Man games I picked up at a discount a few years ago, but I have hardly played them. Under much tighter time constraints than ever, I just can't stand to watch long cutscenes, FMVs, or worst of all, in-game story where you have to slowly walk through corridors as someone talks to you and you can't skip it or make it go faster. At least one of the games starts that way. I'll wait until I have an injury or something to play them.

I had a blast with Spider-Man 2 on the original Xbox, although any gameplay other than the swinging is throwaway if memory serves me.

I'm just wild about the swinging / grappling mechanic in general. With that in mind, I enjoyed Bionic Commando on the 360 (Mike Patton on the voice! We care a lot!). It got savage reviews and should have been a better game, but I loved swinging around. Played through a few times and beat it at the highest difficultly.

Prototype and Prototype 2 were similarly fun, like a cross between Spider-Man mobility and Hulk destruction. So satisfying to take down a helicopter by tossing a car at it. The second one is funnier than the first, if you have to choose.

The Xbox Live Arcade Bionic Commando was fantastic. Its sequel was trash.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 10:53:32 am »
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. I really appreciate 'em. :D

I have the Spider-man games for PS1 emulated, I do have a good time playing those. I owned Spider-man on the PS2 when it came out, I almost beat that game, I also had a good time when I played it.

I have Bionic Commando for the 360, I like that game regardless of the reviews, I should go back and play that one. I also have the Prototype games for Xbox 360, I played quite a bit of the first game, still gotta check out part two. I also have Bionic Commando for the Xbox Live arcade. I made it to the last level with that one, I like the way you hack the computers. :laugh:

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 12:49:40 pm »
Forgot to say if we are playing wrist mounted wire type games then maybe have a look at Just Cause 2.
Its wrist thing and parachute mechanic did wonders for me on that front, and its open world can be made to be a bit fun too.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 01:30:23 pm »
The followup from one of the Spider-man 2 programmers is a kickstarted thing called Energy Hook.  Alas, it seems to have been poorly received.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/378070/Energy_Hook/
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

progamerjo2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 02:31:26 pm »
I didnt know that there are any Spiderman games for xbox  :huh: :D
The only thing i can recommend is the Ps1 Spiderman that is a all time classic.
All those Marvel spinoff games are just cash cows in my opinion. They didnt invest the money on programming or a good story.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 05:05:31 am »
Before there was a cartoon show, before there was any Sam Raimi movies, before there was the MCU...

There was the massive phat bassline of Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin.

It was extremely unusual. For a licensed game, it was really pretty deep, well-put-together, faithful to the comics, and had good music, too (in my opinion anyway). It had a real subtle flavor; you don't tend to hear music tracks that start with only a kick drum and hi-hat, during that era. But the idea is, yeah, Spider-Man is sneaking up on his enemy, in the middle of the night. You wouldn't want blaring horns, I guess.

The only real problem was that it was web-balls-to-the-wall hard. It does drive the point home that Peter Parker's life genuinely sucks a lot of the time, which is the whole point of the comics, but it doesn't make the game very enjoyable unless you are fully committed to learning every last bit of it.

I really wish someone would come along and make some kind of difficulty re-balancing patch for this game. It deserves it.
Yamero~~!