News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: BS Zelda - Link Restoration  (Read 1321 times)

Asaki

• View Profile
BS Zelda - Link Restoration
« on: August 01, 2020, 01:55:13 am »
Addendum patch for MottZilla's v0.95 patch.

• Adds official Link sprites back into the ROM as the default character option.
  • Custom art cobbled together for Link's one-handed fanfare, stray pixels removed from Link's shield in one downward-facing frame.
  • Link's palettes changed back to their original colors.
  • Zelda's hair changed back to brown.
  • Shopkeeper sprite/palette returned to original.
  • Girl Mascot's hair changed to brown, and character select screen re-adjusted (both to account for palette change).
  • Link and Zelda added to intro sequence.

v1.0 https://www.mediafire.com/file/s0ftdqc4plf698q/file
v1.1 https://www.mediafire.com/file/fuk19q676wu561l/file

I just submitted it for approval, but it says that addendum patches have to link to the original patch, and the original patch has to be hosted at RomHacking, and it is not...so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to fix that? Do I just include the original patch in with mine??
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 01:47:13 am by Asaki »

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
Re: BS Zelda - Link Restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 04:39:36 pm »
Very cool, I was hoping for this as soon as the official Link sprites were revealed.
Fraid I can't help about the submission process, that's a bridge i've still yet to cross myself.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 04:49:01 pm »
I'm using the pre-patched version of MottZilla 0.95 available at the main site, and the BPS gives me a checksum error.  Is there a specific setup I should be using to apply this?

EDIT: Nevermind, just had to remove the header.  Normal SNES stuff. :P
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:13:07 pm by Chronosplit »

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 05:08:46 pm »
Just don't call it an addendum patch. Label it as an Improvement, because arguably, it is. Then you can just link to the MottZilla patch in the description :)

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 05:44:10 pm »
I'm using the pre-patched version of MottZilla 0.95 available at the main site, and the BPS gives me a checksum error.

That's weird, because that's the exact same ROM I'm using.

I've never made a BPS patch before though, so maybe it's my fault.

Then you can just link to the MottZilla patch in the description :)

I'm hesitant to do that because all kinds of ROMs are easily available at the same link, and I'm not sure that's allowed.

I guess maybe I could upload his patch to ROMHacking for him?? I really don't like to do that though, I assume he had a reason for not doing it himself.

Worst case scenario, I make patches for the original ROMs and hope all the other patches play nice (but I have a feeling that they won't). Or I do that, and add the MottZilla addendum patch as a bonus prize. That should work, I think.

August 02, 2020, 01:45:24 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well here's to worst-case scenarios, I figured I'd just do it up real quick, so here's v1.1: https://www.mediafire.com/file/fuk19q676wu561l/file

Two patches for clean ROMs (headered and unheadered), the MottZilla patch, and a patch that should work on Complete/Upgrade/Restoration.
I also changed Link's outline from dark grey to true black, because it seems like an oversight to me on Nintendo's part. The "leak" palettes all have dark grey, but in the "final" ROM, almost all of them were changed to black.

I don't think there's a way I can cancel my original submission, so I guess I'll just wait to see what happens.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 01:45:24 am by Asaki »

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 02:44:25 pm »
This is great. What is the source for this? Is it from one of the leaks? I've done some searching, but haven't found anything yet.

I personally prefer the "Third Quest" and "Fourth Quest" roms, rather than the Map 1/Map 2 versions. I think they did a really good job of converting the games to work without pre-timed events. I tried using your patches there, but I'm getting a lot of stray pixels. Can I request that this be added to those 2 roms too?

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 03:55:20 am »
What is the source for this? Is it from one of the leaks?

Ehhhh, maybe??

Can I request that this be added to those 2 roms too?

I don't know if I can, there's a lot of custom graphics in here. 0x00040600 has some custom Link sprites (looks like he's punching in his sleep or something?) and I don't have anything to replace them with.
Actually, now that I think about it, those are probably the "Link being rescued by Zelda" sprites.

And they changed the Girl Mascot into Zelda. A lot of misc. graphics have been changed, like the Magic Book, the shields, the swords, the compass, the Triforce pieces...so do I revert those too? Or just the Link sprites? Or what?

I feel like it would be better to contact the author of those patches and ask. But if you just want something quick and simple right now, I can cook it up and send it to you in a PM.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 09:59:04 am »
I don't know if I can, there's a lot of custom graphics in here. 0x00040600 has some custom Link sprites (looks like he's punching in his sleep or something?) and I don't have anything to replace them with.
Actually, now that I think about it, those are probably the "Link being rescued by Zelda" sprites.

And they changed the Girl Mascot into Zelda. A lot of misc. graphics have been changed, like the Magic Book, the shields, the swords, the compass, the Triforce pieces...so do I revert those too? Or just the Link sprites? Or what?

I feel like it would be better to contact the author of those patches and ask. But if you just want something quick and simple right now, I can cook it up and send it to you in a PM.

I didn't realize there was so much changed. In that case, don't worry about it.