News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help! Castle in the Sky (SMB1 hack) - bug fixes and general questions  (Read 1731 times)

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
Hey guys! I just released my newest hack of Super Mario Bros based on my favorite movie, Castle in the Sky. But while I was bug testing, I found a palette error in one of the "Treetop" stages (I went back and checked and I'm pretty sure it was 6-3), does anybody know how to fix this and align it with the correct palette for the rest of the treetop stages?

This is my first hack and I used a lot of tools with this one, so I believe the solution to be a simple hex edit, but I'm not sure exactly where to look. I also might be able to fix it myself (after watching John Rigg's color edit video), but I can't specifically find the line of hex that would pertain to that level.

If anybody needs the link to my hack, here it is: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5280/
(I promise this is not self-promo, just trying to be helpful)

Thanks for any help and guidance you guys can provide! :thumbsup:

What it should look like (color wise):

What it currently looks like (color wise):

The main issue I have is with the trees, ground, and platform palettes, the black Background and character palettes seem to be fine.

EDIT: added pictures to Imgbb. Thanks Jorpho! First time user mistake I guess.  :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:14:01 am by Supergamerguy »
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Castle in the Sky (SMB1 hack) - bug fixes and general questions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:08:38 pm »
You'll have to upload your images somewhere other than the RHDN Scratchpad.  That's not what it is for.

May I suggest imgbb?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
Re: Castle in the Sky (SMB1 hack) - bug fixes and general questions
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:26:40 pm »
On a similar note, I would also like to move the "Sky" section of my title screen up a few tiles, but SMB Title Editor wont let me, despite it seeming to not add or subtract any of the file size from the available space.

If anybody could give me some technical info on why this is this case or direct me on how to move it without compromising the rest of the title screen, I would much appreciate it! :)
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

THiN_CRUST_1992

• View Profile
Re: Help! Castle in the Sky (SMB1 hack) - bug fixes and general questions
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 08:31:17 pm »
Wouldn't it be better if it was Sonic 3 for Castle in the Sky? using SMB1 for Castle in the Sky doesn't make any sense.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 02:29:18 pm »
Wouldn't it be better if it was Sonic 3 for Castle in the Sky? using SMB1 for Castle in the Sky doesn't make any sense.

I mean yeah Sonic 3 is partially inspired by it, but not all the zones correspond and fit like SMB1's do. Also, this was my first romhack, a good place to start (as SMB is very easy to hack), and I already had some old concept pixel art I did a few years back that helped serve as a basis for this idea.

Besides, this hack is already finished (in terms of playability). If you want to make a Sonic 3 Castle in the Sky hack, then more power to you, but I'm not ready for that yet and I prefer to do NES hacks anyways.

THiN_CRUST_1992

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 06:15:54 pm »
I know "Carnival Night" "Ice Cap", Launch Base", "Sandopolis", and "Death Egg" don't fit with Castle in the Sky, but I can tell that Sonic 3 would fit more with Castle in the Sky as a game moreso than SMB1, due to how Castle in the Sky is a more complicated story than Mario's. Word of advice, find a story that fits with the hack in terms of simplicity than just taking characters from a complicated background, giving it a simple hackneed slap, and calling it a day. Because that's what it looks like to me, and I didn't even play the hack.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:21:20 pm by THiN_CRUST_1992 »