Hello again to all, I'm back at it again and this time things look quite different, some aspects of the project are being reworked and how I'm working on this has also changed a bit. So, onto the new SMW NES Improvement update:
On the technical side, progress on the disassembly is good, 6 banks have been fully disassembled so far and PalaceSwitcher has been working hard to understand this game's inner workings, finding many useful RAM addresses that the game uses for various things. The disassembly can be found here: https://github.com/palaceswitcher/SMW-NES-Disassembly
and there is also a Discord server (https://discord.gg/3rJSuzqzmE
) for those who would like to help out with the project. We would much appreciate any technical assistance you could lend to us if you would like to do so as it would speed up the disassembly process if there were more people working on it as it is currently only PalaceSwitcher working on this task.
Now onto the graphical side of things, there are 3 main changes to how this is being designed now, 1; completely new and more flexible palette sets, 2; Graphics are now being organised in ROMs ready for later insertion, and 3; I'm aiming for a far more legitimate looking game than before.
Here are Some sprites in the new art style:
As promised, Bowser has also been worked on:
And here are all the stage objects I have drawn so far:
As you can see, things are looking a little prettier now, we have a more diverse colour set and, like some of you asked for, Mario now uses only one palette just as he did in the real NES games. This new set of palettes will not only allow for the graphics to appear more accurate to the SNES originals as a whole, but also prevent any palette clash issues when playing as the Luigi or when riding a non-green Yoshi.
Following this new art direction, PalaceSwitcher and I have officially merged projects, so I am now the lead artist of the project as a whole.
The reason that graphics are now being organised and arranged into graphics ROMs is because we realised that all of the work done to the Mapper 90 version of the game will later have to be transferred over to the MMC5 version (as that will be a conversion of the base game) and also, with the MMC5 version we should be able to achieve a far greater level of accuracy with more frames and more memory, so continuing to graphically improve the mapper 90 version seems pointless. Instead all graphics used in the game will be drawn in colourised and ready to insert form, including banking design for said graphics, meaning that when the MMC5 version is ready, we will be able to insert everything as needed.
Anyway, that's it for this update, I hope you like the changes we've made and I look forward to hearing your thoughts,
Thanks for reading and take care everybody!