News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What to play next? (retro AA & ARPG edition)  (Read 2447 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: What to play next? (retro AA & ARPG edition)
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 06:59:39 am »
It's not from the late 80s-early 90s period and it's not an ARPG? :huh:

@cccmar:
Cool, I'll try the first but yeah ED2 does look way better.

I have tried Getsu but didn't enjoy it that much and got lost at some point. Might try it again sometime though.

Thanks!
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 01:38:08 pm »
i think the only Ultimas that could qualify as ARPGs would be the Underworld sub-series. i also recall Ultima 8 was criticized for being too action-oriented when it came out, so perhaps it could be considered here as well.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 01:41:03 pm »
There's also Ultima: Runes of Virtue 1 & 2. They were originally for the Game Boy, but the second one is on the SNES as well.  The first one got a lengthy writeup in the Nintendo Power Game Boy Player's Guide back in the day; it often intrigued me.

I hear the SNES version of U7 is also very different from the computer versions and is much more action-oriented. Likewise the SNES version of Savage Empire, but that's Japan-only.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KoopaTroopa76

• Soup-er Mario Sixty-Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 04:48:19 am »
I haven't played any of those games yet. I guess I have some work to do...
Every time I get an idea for a new romhack I always seem to run into a big problem that stops me from completing it.
So far I've had corrupted ROMs, damaged carts, load errors, import errors, BSOD errors, hard drive errors and more errors.
I wonder what will happen next...

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 08:26:20 am »
I haven't played any of those games yet. I guess I have some work to do...

Not all of them are gems but I'd recommend D/Generation (on Amiga) and Star Control 2 so far. You can get the port of the 3DO version of SC2 back to PC, Ur-Quan Masters, for free and it's mostly superior to the PC one.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 10:58:23 am »
I'd recommend D/Generation (on Amiga)
Is the Amiga version the superior choice?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 11:23:52 am »
when this first came out, Amiga had the best hardware in comparison to other platforms then (Atari and DOS). there are actually three versions of this game for Amiga computers. AGA (Amiga 4000 and newer) and Amiga CD32 versions feature 256 colours and better sound compared to the first 32-colour Amiga version of D/Generation. so i guess Amiga CD32 variant would be the best choice here.

the newly released HD version is criticized for its lack of polish, bugs, lack of charm and style, and some superfluous changes from the original.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 12:28:26 pm »
when this first came out, Amiga had the best hardware in comparison to other platforms then (Atari and DOS).
While that was certainly true at some points in the past, wasn't DOS mostly caught up by then?

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 01:50:02 pm »
While that was certainly true at some points in the past, wasn't DOS mostly caught up by then?
it's hard to follow the exact advances in hardware during these early years, the PC platform moved fast to outdistance the earlier microcomputer model. but i'd say in 1991 DOS-based PCs and late Amiga computers had roughly on par graphics. what Amiga really shined in was its high quality audio capabilities. the first Sound Blaster that could play CD-quality audio came out in late 1991. by then, Amiga could do better than that for years, thanks to its numerous audio expansions.
you can hear that by quickly comparing youtube playthroughs of both versions. there's high-quality Amiga audio compared with buzzer-like DOS sounds.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 02:04:45 pm by thr »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 03:55:41 pm »
thr is right about this game at least; I'd say PC surpassed Amiga from 1993 onwards (with Doom's release basically). Some adventure games like King's Quest 5 and Beneath a Steel Sky also looked better on PC.

But my reason for recommending that version was simply the arrow key controls which let you press two directions at once for easy diagonal movement - It's either not there on DOS or it's hard to activate, meaning you have to use 7, 9, 1, 3 on the numpad for diagonal movement and that kinda sucks.

It plays faster on DOS than in the original AMI version but this also makes some parts with tight timing harder, and the game is pretty hard already.

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2020, 04:15:39 pm »
It plays faster on DOS than in the original AMI version but this also makes some parts with tight timing harder, and the game is pretty hard already.
if you're using dosbox, your default timings may be set too high. they can be adjusted with CTRL+F11 (slower) and CTRL+F12 (faster).

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2020, 05:50:54 pm »
Yeah maybe you're right, I just compared it to some YT footage which could be too fast as well.