News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Extract midi from the NDS Game "Fort -Boyard"  (Read 662 times)

TradFr_R

• View Profile
Extract midi from the NDS Game "Fort -Boyard"
« on: July 08, 2020, 10:48:55 pm »
Hello!

I need help to extract midi's files of "Fort Boyard - le Jeu" and "Fort Boyard - Casse tete et Enigme" on DS...
I have try with MKDS MODIFIER and VGMTRANS but the files can't be open.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Extract midi from the NDS Game "Fort -Boyard"
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:19:14 pm »
There is no reason to expect these games to use MIDI.  While you can find MIDI rips for other games online, I understand those are usually made by meticulously reverse-engineering whatever sound format is used by the game and then converting it to MIDI.  And if the games happen to use streaming music (like MP3 or something similar) then there is no hope of getting anything like a MIDI without manually transcribing.

I see you already made a post at http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30537 .  There is not much to add to that in regards to extracting files from NDS roms.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

TradFr_R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 11:30:59 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvZUuGbjUk&t=2261s 31:22 it's sound like it's compressed like the midi format

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 12:22:57 am »
Just because it sounds that way doesn't mean it has to use standard MIDI.

Synthesized music is just a series of instructions to play various instrument samples at different pitches and for different durations.  MIDI is just one way of laying out those instructions.  It could just as easily be something like MOD.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 09:27:49 am »
Someone actually played those games? I thought the only reason anybody ever watched the show was because they stuffed attractive young ladies in low cut tops and got them to lean over a lot, that but in the DS' 3d...

Anyway the standard DS format for sound is SDAT which is most of what MKDS Course Modifier (these days it does more than just Mario Kart) and VGMtrans (hopefully you used the newer versions from loveemu) will do. Crystaltile2 and vgmtoolbox probably round out most of the things I would use there.

Still there are games that eschew use of those formats, though such things can also be buried in other files, and they do crop up somewhat more often among the cash in games for a TV show fad type games.
I have a little list of the various formats we found that are not SDAT before
https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-various-audio-formats-of-the-ds.305167/

They typically fall under the banner of known format, close to the DS audio hardware (which does support PCM and ADPCM audio natively) and one of a handful of more custom formats.

Had a quick scan of 1373 - Fort Boyard - Le Jeu and in the DATA/music/ directory there are files.

4 muteinfo.dat
  4 mute.ls
  8 piste12info.dat
 16 piste12.ls
  8 piste14info.dat
 40 piste14.ls
  8 piste1info.dat
 20 piste1.ls
  8 piste4info.dat
 24 piste4.ls
696 sound_data.sdat
Numbers are size in kilobytes.

I don't have SDAT hacking gear here right not to test it on, in a hex editor it looked fairly standard and the following files are listed which might be a lot, but also might be missing something you want (or it could be that the extra files are things the developer left in when they failed to clean up the ROM -- you would not believe how common that is).
Code: [Select]
SEQ_GLOBALNOTEON
GLOBAL_NOTEON0
GLOBAL_NOTEON1
GLOBAL_NOTEON2
GLOBAL_NOTEON3
GLOBAL_NOTEON4
GLOBAL_NOTEON5
GLOBAL_NOTEON6
GLOBAL_NOTEON7
GLOBAL_NOTEON8
GLOBAL_NOTEON9
GLOBAL_NOTEON10
GLOBAL_NOTEON11
GLOBAL_NOTEON12
GLOBAL_NOTEON13
GLOBAL_NOTEON14
GLOBAL_NOTEON15
BANK_mute
BANK_piste1
BANK_piste4
BANK_piste12
BANK_piste14
BANK_sfx_asile
BANK_sfx_awalee
BANK_sfx_bonneteau
BANK_sfx_boulet
BANK_sfx_Classicalinterfacesound
BANK_sfx_debarras
BANK_sfx_enigmesduperefourras
BANK_sfx_excalibur
BANK_sfx_generiques
BANK_sfx_manolier
BANK_sfx_Marteau
BANK_sfx_menottes
BANK_sfx_pierresexterieurs
BANK_sfx_salle_dutresor
BANK_sfx_tonneau
BANK_sfx_varappe
WAVE_mute
WAVE_piste1
WAVE_piste4
WAVE_piste12
WAVE_piste14
WAVE_sfx_asile
WAVE_sfx_awalee
WAVE_sfx_bonneteau
WAVE_sfx_boulet
WAVE_sfx_Classicalinterfacesound
WAVE_sfx_debarras
WAVE_sfx_enigmesduperefourras
WAVE_sfx_excalibur
WAVE_sfx_generiques
WAVE_sfx_manolier
WAVE_sfx_Marteau
WAVE_sfx_menottes
WAVE_sfx_pierresexterieurs
WAVE_sfx_salle_dutresor
WAVE_sfx_tonneau
WAVE_sfx_varappe
GROUP_GLOBAL_NOTEON

But the other files being there are small enough and they compress really well (the 16K piste1 became a 2.3K zip file) and in the hex I am seeing PAD in ASCII a lot at about the sort of distances I would expect to see commands. To that end I am not sure they are wave. The .ls files themselves start with LS_SOUND in ASCII. The .dat files are mostly blank (indeed other than a single byte the mute dat is all 00, the 40 a few bytes in is shared with most of the other dat files save for one) and several of them are the same in the last few bytes.

Never met it before, does not look like anything I have seen either. Searches reveal not a lot and did not run the game to see if the credits include some kind of splash screen or note for the audio format.
If you just want to rip it then might be time to bust out an emulator and loop back. If there is no audio test you can pull from then hopefully you can mute things in the SDAT or drop channels in the emulator to lose whatever is going to be annoying (the overlap in names of files there did not escape my notice).