News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sutte Hakkun Level Editor (searching a competent programmer)  (Read 1058 times)

Raccoon Sam

• Left is Right and Right is Wrong
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Hey!
I've done a large amount of research regarding the SNES game Sutte Hakkun (all versions, including the Satellaview ones)

I've cracked the compression and understood the principle behind it thoroughly, cracked the level format, found most relevant pointer tables and generally have an excellent understanding what's going on inside the games. I've also made a ROM map of the NP/ROM version and written a file decompressor in Python that works on all versions of the game (it runs once and spits out all the files inside).
Additionally, I'm the person who previously translated the game and just recently ripped the stage maps.

Now that I've understood the compression better and have gathered enough information I think the time is ripe for a general editor for the game(s) but my programming skills are simply not good enough.

I'm looking for someone to program a cross-platform GUI program that could do the whole shebang - file extraction, decompression, editing, re-insertion/re-compression and pointer recalculation.

I'll gladly elaborate on some ideas I have and I think we should brainstorm a bit before diving deeper anyway. You can contact me on Twitter or Discord, whatever works best for you.

Edit: For what it's worth, I released the uncompressor just now. It's not perfect but should give some insight if you're into that. I feel much more comfortable explaining this in detail though but ehh
https://github.com/vervalkon/unpakkun
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:41:09 am by Raccoon Sam »

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Re: Sutte Hakkun Level Editor (searching a competent programmer)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 11:56:45 pm »
Can you explain the compression format and show the assembly for it?

I seen your translation(nice work) and you posted 4 pictures for it:
1. 2.
3. 4.

In the 3rd picture what is up with the letter m for them and from? It doesn’t look right.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 12:22:03 am by slidelljohn »

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Re: Sutte Hakkun Level Editor (searching a competent programmer)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 07:09:02 pm »
Raccoon Sam: I've added some code to your decompressor so it accepts command line arguments, if you'd like to use that: http://hhcard.org/ws/nikc/unpakkun.py
Run it with unpakkun.py -r "ROM FILE HERE" -o "OUTPUT FOLDER HERE"

If I have some time over the next few days, I'll see if I can study the rest of the code and make a recompression script. My life's pretty busy right now, so I couldn't commit to making a GUI for you - but I'm happy to help with scripts and smaller programming projects if you'd like.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 07:22:38 pm by USC »