Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using one vs. the other? I ask this as a complete noob.
I haven't used Atlas or Cartographer much, but here it goes.
* Seems rather primitive.
* I couldn't get it to compile.Atlas
* Widely used. More or less a standard
* Kind of a pain to work with flat files. As in, you're working with plain txt files.
* I looked at Cartographer's source code and couldn't really follow it.
* You have a decent amount of examples and source at your disposal.
* The developer of Altas is fairly active.
* There's a steep difficulty curve.
Cypro Ace and Spiro
* Currently, behind closed doors because I still add features from time to time, so I will have to set up the environment for you.
* It's been awhile since I did benchmarking, but the script dumping and insertion is faster than Atlas and Cartographer.
* I think the source code is good.
* The utility supports autolinebreaking. It's incredibly tedious to add line breaks manually to every dialogue line.
* The utility allows writing your script to multiple regions. I've heard Atlas is really limited to where it can write to the rom.
* It doesn't support writing to multiple files like Atlas. I just never found the need to program it in, since I never needed to.
* The preview option makes it easier to edit scripts that are heavy with control codes.
July 09, 2020, 05:17:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I may be able to help. I have a decent disassembly of the game, and it shouldn't be too hard.
I looked at the python script dumper and got a script dump.https://mega.nz/file/5jABmQRR#CGyV_RVe4goONxCeOskFTPlAb6q_iV31QYQpINdwr7s
So the game uses 4 byte pointers which point to "RIFF" "files". The RIFF files contain "src code" "jump" and script data. Quite an interesting format. It's no wonder the game was never fan translated...
In any case, the src code junk is not a big deal, however
, I need some more info on the "jump" data. I tried No$GBA's debugger, and ARM7 is much different to 6502. It's more similar to Intel processors which I don't have much experience with. I hypothesize that data after "JUMP" contains embedded pointer data. I know for a fact the game uses embedded reads, but I need some more info on it.
Hi! Years ago I translate this game to Portuguese.
By the way, your tool doesn't dump / insert all dialogue in the game.