News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Galaxy Fraulein Yuna Remix Translation Question  (Read 793 times)

Mafoo343

• View Profile
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna Remix Translation Question
« on: June 29, 2020, 04:41:06 am »
Hey guys, I've recently decided to take a little bit of a break from my Slayers Royal 2 translation project to start working on translating another Sega Saturn title, Galaxy Fraulein Yuna Remix.  So far the translation I'm working on is coming together well, with about the first half-hour of content translated already.  With that being said, I've run into a little bit of a snag regarding one line of dialogue specifically.  To give some context, there are two characters involved in the conversation, Yuna, the game's mecha magical girl main protagonist and Elner, her floating robot companion that accompanies Yuna throughout the game.  Yuna recently won a contest and as a bonus prize she won a star cruiser that was delivered to the local airport.  In order for the airport authorities to hand over the cruiser though, Yuna has to present them with her license which she somehow misplaced.  Due to this, Yuna and Elner backtrack to Yuna's house and go through her room in order to try and find the license.  At one point, Yuna is looking through her desk and notices a test she got back from school, at which point she remarks to Elner,

Yuna: "Heh-heh-heh, the other day, I got an 85 percent on an English test.  What do you think, pretty amazing, right Elner?"

In the context of the game Yuna isn't exactly the brightest individual and as a result Elner makes the following skeptical remark in response,

Elner:"85点?
ユナにとっては 夢のような得点ですね
雪でも 降らなければ いいですが"

Now for the first two lines of this, I think I get the general idea.  From what I understand, Elner is basically saying, "85 percent?  You could only dream of getting a score like that Yuna."  For that last line though, I'm not really sure I quite understand what Elner is trying to say.  Elner appears to be making a sarcastic remark regarding snowfall (the scene in question takes place during the summer, where there's literally zero chance of there being any snow).  This leads me to believe that this is supposed to be some sort of Japanese expression, possibly similar in meaning to English expressions like "when pigs fly," though I'm not entirely certain that that's the case here. If anyone could possibly help explain what Elner means by that expression in this context I would greatly appreciate it.

Momochi

• View Profile
Re: Galaxy Fraulein Yuna Remix Translation Question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 10:43:02 am »
You guessed it right, in Japanese you expect some unusual precipitation (typically: 雨 rain, 雪 snow, 赤い雪 red snow, or 槍 spear) when something unusual happens, especially an out-of-character good deed.

Mafoo343

• View Profile
Re: Galaxy Fraulein Yuna Remix Translation Question
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 12:15:44 pm »
Thanks for the help Momochi, I really appreciate it.  :thumbsup: