News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Solstice Randomizer (NES)  (Read 6838 times)

pbandpickle

• View Profile
    • PBandPickle
Re: Solstice Randomizer (NES)
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 05:27:54 pm »
Well, the magic boot randomizer being broken makes complete sense as I am incapable of fixing anything without breaking something :P I’ll review this later today.

I will review my detonator code again and will implement the room change that you have suggested.

EDIT:
-The magic boot randomizer appears to be working as intended. Please note that there are currently only 10 spots where the magic boots will spawn and 3 of them are in A3. So currently, there is a 30% chance the boots will be there. This will not be as prevalent once magic boot randomization is expanded.

-Detonator randomization is now disabled for the time being.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:45:58 pm by pbandpickle »

pbandpickle

• View Profile
    • PBandPickle
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 09:06:04 pm »
Slight update. I fixed up the graphics a bit in rm 0x30. It's still a bit jacked but much better than before. I probably won't be touching it any further as solstice graphics are kind of complicated.

If playing on Random Start, room 0xFC has received a complete redesign to prevent a softlock while also making the room not boring. If you do not use random start, this room stays vanilla.

Here is the current roadmap:
   1. Fix detonator randomization
   2. Fix color correction
   3. Expand magic boots randomization
   4. Any other goofy things I can think of.

I haven't had as much time to work on it as I would like but I'll still be updating periodically.

Also, one randomization quirk i need to fix:
   Both rooms 60 and 5E are valid locations for Cave of the Doomed Souls key. This means if you happen to drop down the wrong shaft, it's a softlock. I may adjust this so that it can not spawn there but I dunno.

Another note, I am very curious what bytes 0x01A371 -> 0x01A3FE are used for. These bytes are strangely sandwiched between data for room 0x45 and 0x46 but is definitely NOT room data. I'll like to look into that some day....

pbandpickle

• View Profile
    • PBandPickle
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2020, 10:34:21 pm »
Not much to add except detonator randomization has been fixed. All this time I assumed there was something wrong with my randomization code when it was actually a side-effect of the game's programming.

Detonators are still only randomized with detonators but they should work correctly now. The only sideeffect is that you can hit the same detonator multiple times (doesn't do anything extra). It will never show a trigger detonator. Also, detonator randomization is forced on at the moment. I'll fix it during my vacation next week.

pbandpickle

• View Profile
    • PBandPickle
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 07:44:35 pm »
***NEW UPDATE***

Expert Mode! - Start with 0 lives, cannot gain more lives, start with 1 use of each potion. Cannot hold more than 1 usage of each potion
New "Bottomless Hole" in the Caves of the Doom Souls when playing rando (to prevent softlocks)
Teleporter randomization now works instead of just pretending to work! wow!
Other miscellaneous bug fixes and text changes

detonator rando is still forced on. That will be a included in my next update.

pbandpickle

• View Profile
    • PBandPickle
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 08:33:29 pm »
I was hoping to get detonator randomization done today but I ran into some issues. My next update will be out probably next weekend and will feature full detonator randomization and a greatly expanded magic boots randomization.

September 05, 2020, 10:50:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
*** New Update is now live and contains the following features: ***

-Full detonator randomization (optional)
-Greatly expanded Magic Boots randomization (10+ more rooms it can appear in)
-"Fix object color palettes" actually works now

There are a few important notes about this latest update:

-Detonators will NEVER be replaced with a "triggered" detonator but they still work
-Enabling Magic Boots randomization will also apply the Random Start room edits. Sorry.

I pretty much break something every time I update it so plz let me know if something is not working or seems strange. Also, some room edits will seem strange (that's on purpose).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 10:50:22 pm by pbandpickle »