News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Front Mission 2 Fan Translation  (Read 767 times)

XebraBoy

• View Profile
Front Mission 2 Fan Translation
« on: May 31, 2020, 04:44:30 am »
Try as I might, I can’t seem to get this to work and it’s mainly because the xdelta3 application that comes with it opens and immediately shuts

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Front Mission 2 Fan Translation
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 01:51:11 pm »
Rather than leaving us to guess, perhaps you could provide us with a link to the page for this translation?

I suspect it includes a readme with detailed instructions.  You will probably have to run xdelta3 from the command prompt.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

XebraBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 03:36:26 pm »
Sure and it does come with a ReadMe

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1750/

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 08:35:34 pm »
Okay... And the readme says that the xdelta patch is for converting older releases of the game to newer releases and vice-versa, not for applying the translation. Or did you not read that part?

A few more minutes of Googling suggests you need ImageDiff.
https://opticalgarbage.com/misc/

The instructions there refer to Front Mission 5, but there doesn't seem to be any alternative. Why exactly this is buried so deeply is a good question.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

XebraBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 01:17:56 am »
I thought the patching utility did that (the Windows Batch file)?

XebraBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 02:10:01 am »
So I’ve tried running xdelta3.exe from the command prompt and I have the same issue, it briefly shows the outline of the windowed box and then closes immediately.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 11:27:40 am »
I would agree this patch is not laid out in a particularly comprehensible fashion, but did you not understand something in my previous post?

The download (FrontMission2_PatchF-1.zip) contains a second Zip file named "Data Conversion.zip".  That Zip file contains "DataConversion_Readme.txt", which tells you that it "contains two patches (in xdelta format): one for patching an original version to become identical to the reprinted versions. The other one is for patching a reprinted version to become identical to the original version." If this is not what you are trying to do, then you should not be using xdelta at all.

XebraBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 10:33:25 pm »
I understand that, I was just confused at first. But for now I’m struggling to apply the ImageDiff patch file to the ISO I’ve created. I’ve tried XDelta GUI but it doesn’t work so now I’m gonna try the 2 way merge using Guiffy.