News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What do you do with .bin files?  (Read 641 times)

hypercoffee

• View Profile
What do you do with .bin files?
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:27:08 pm »
So, I'm trying to make a ROM hack of Harvest Moon 3D: A Tale of Two Towns. I want to switch the sprites for male and female and do some dialogue changes. I unpacked the Rom using HackingToolkit9DS, and have an extractedromfs folder. I've found a lot of graphics (though not the over-world sprites yet) and some animation files, but all other files are stored as bin files.

From what I've gathered, bin is a general file type, and these files are any kind of file, and I should look at the header to the files to find out what kind they are. Thing is, I'm not quite sure how to do that, and searching the first few bytes of a file gives me nothing when I look at file header type lists. I also am not sure if the files are compressed, I don't think they are, since, as someone mentioned in another thread, the number of times each byte occurs is not the same, so it's probably not compressed.

I would really appreciate if someone could explain or link to an explanation of how to properly look at headers, since there don't seem to be any documents here that explain them (not that I've been able to find). Thanks in advance :)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with .bin files?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 12:12:01 pm »
and I should look at the header to the files to find out what kind they are.
I'm not sure what you read, but like you said, "bin" is a general file type and a .bin file is not required to have any kind of recognizable header.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

hypercoffee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 03:07:55 pm »
Okay, I wasn't sure about that, thanks. But I still don't really know where to go from here. How do I figure out what files are in the bin and get them out, or change them into a form I can use? Like for script dumping, or finding the rest of the graphics? Actually, what can I even do with bin files when it comes to rom hacking?

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:39:01 pm »
Okay, I wasn't sure about that, thanks. But I still don't really know where to go from here. How do I figure out what files are in the bin and get them out, or change them into a form I can use? Like for script dumping, or finding the rest of the graphics? Actually, what can I even do with bin files when it comes to rom hacking?

That's the $64,000 question isn't it.

I'm not the best person to get you started answering this question, but think about it like a computer program. If it's a compiled language, you write out the code and then you compile it into a binary.

I think what you are hoping to find is the equivalent of the written code, but that code is gone now. All that's left is the result of the instructions that code gave. So everything we do from here is what's called reverse engineering.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 11:27:40 pm »
Well, there's always this for starters:
The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.

Maybe you can try opening the files in https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1471/ or some other editor that supports Japanese text encodings, and see if you can find something recognizable?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

hypercoffee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 06:31:12 pm »
Maybe you can try opening the files in https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1471/ or some other editor that supports Japanese text encodings, and see if you can find something recognizable?

By recognizable, do you mean English? I've looked through a lot of the files with CrystalTile2, which supports Shift-JIS, and there are no English words. Any Japanese text is also just one or two characters, and don't seem to say anything. This should lead to a small capture of what it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/cljX6a6

I've already gone though those links, and read quite a few documents, but I went though a few more again to try and figure out where to go, specifically "The Definitive Guide to ROM Hacking Tables" and I managed to edit the text in the demonstrated ROM, but when I try to do the same with the ds ROM, CrystalTile2 won't let me save anything, so I'm not sure why that is. I'll keep trying though.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 04:29:41 pm »
By recognizable, do you mean English?
Oh, oops, I assumed you were looking at a Japanese game, but of course you aren't. And it would be odd if it was using Shift-JIS for English text, I suppose.