News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with SNES Palette hacking  (Read 1982 times)

theguy1

• View Profile
Help with SNES Palette hacking
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:59:48 pm »
Hello, I apologise for creating a new thread if that's not allowed in this section, I've recently been trying to do palette hacks for a few SNES games. But I've hit a brick wall with being able to find the correct HEX strings that I'd be changing in HxD. I was able to do games like Donkey Kong Country that have the information out there successfully, but with other games I've tried stuff like Bizhawk, geigas Snes9x, SNES palette editor and I can't seem to be successful.

The game I'm trying to edit palettes for is WWF Royal Rumble (editing colours on most of the 12 playable characters) if that's pertinent.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

svambo

• View Profile
Re: Help with SNES Palette hacking
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 02:30:18 pm »
- Take the Mesen-S Emulator
- run the game and go into the debug-menu and choose palette viewer
- pause the game when the palette you are looking for is active
- click on some colors and write down the color values
- use a hex-editor to search for that values in the rom (switch lowbyte and highbyte, value 1234 means you have to search for 34 12)

Feel free to ask if you have any problems.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 04:04:18 am »
You can view palettes in some debugger. For example in bsnes-plus it is called CG-RAM and you find it in the memory tool. Then search for the values in the ROM.

When you can find the palette in a uncompressed format I would use TileMolester to view them as a colored pixel. This can be done by viewing the the palette with that offset you found with the codec 15bpp BGR 555 selected. Then edit the collor/palette in the png and insert it with Tilemolester again. Here I did talk about it in more detail.

CV ROM DiscordServer
https://discord.gg/PvFgxRg

eskayelle

• NBA Jam 2K20 TE / TMNT of Rage Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 10:38:47 pm »
I love Royal Rumble!  HBK and Razor are my go-tos.  Any plans to do other improvements within your hack?