News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Game Gear's first ‹RPG›, Eternal Legend, ‹translated›  (Read 2004 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Supper

An English ‹translation› for the Game Gear's first ‹RPG›, Eternal Legend, has been ‹released›.

‹Legend› tells of the ‹lost city› of 'Millennium', a golden ‹paradise› created to praise the ‹gods›. It is said that the bearer of the eight [Golden Knives] shall open the way to 'Millennium' and its long-lost ‹treasures› and ‹technology›. One day, «Arwyn», a young ‹treasure hunter›, unexpectedly finds himself caught up in the ‹search› for 'Millennium'. In a ‹journey› spanning the entire ‹world›, «Arwyn», together with companions «Ryall» and «Blue Moon», must solve ‹mysteries› and uncover ‹conspiracies› from across the ages in order to learn the ‹secret› of 'Millennium'...

Eternal Legend is a 1991 RPG developed by Japan Art Media for the Sega Game Gear. It's a very orthodox RPG notable mostly for being the very first one on the Game Gear. It features vast overworlds based on real-world continents, a simple monster summoning mechanic, and a highly idiosyncratic system of ‹text bracketing›.

As the first RPG on the console, the game is unfortunately a bit primitive in some respects. In an attempt to make it slightly more palatable to modern players, the translation also includes a complete game walkthrough and provides optional cheats to speed up movement and prevent random encounters, though players interested in the original experience can forgo these if they prefer.

This patch was the work of TheMajinZenki (translation), Supper (hacking), and cccmar (editing and testing). The authors hope that you'll enjoy the game, despite all ‹obstacles›.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Stifu

• View Profile
Why is everything in this post and the translation ‹written› like ‹this›?
Are those symbols in the original game? What do they even mean? Some kind of unusual emphasis tags, I guess.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
I think they really, really wanted to have colour-coded words in there, but couldn't figure out a way to make it work, since it's the very first RPG on the system... so, they went with a few different types of brackets instead, depending on what's being mentioned at a given time. There are different symbols for character names, towns, important key words etc.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Why is everything in this post and the translation ‹written› like ‹this›?
Are those symbols in the original game? What do they even mean? Some kind of unusual emphasis tags, I guess.

Like you wouldn't believe. We didn't add, or remove, any of this -- it was all like that in the original script. Seriously, TheMajinZenki deserves a lot of credit for having the patience to put up with all the ridiculous brackets in this game.

Note that there's actually a method to the madness: angle brackets are <key terms>, double angle brackets are <<character names>>, square brackets are [item/spell names], and single quotes are 'place names'. As cccmar mentioned, I'm pretty sure they wanted color-coded text but couldn't figure out a way to get all the colors they needed in the palette at once, despite using the entire screen for the dialogue window. It's really the least of the game's problems anyway... but don't get me started :(

aqualung

• View Profile
Nice! It was the last untranslated turn-based rpg on the Game Gear if I'm not mistaken (or at least the last which is not a dungeon-crawler, like the Madou Monogatari games).

Now if only a working prototype for Youhouden Hisuimaru appeared someday... Although I don't know if the game was fully finished or not.

Thanks a lot for this release, everyone!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:38:25 pm by aqualung »

reyvgm

• View Profile
‹Jesus› H «Christ» (...)

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
I was wondering what was going on in the screenshots.  Maybe someday, someone can hack the color-coding in.

Congrats on another release!

Darth Link X

• View Profile
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that the original Game Gear version of Shining Force Gaiden was ever fan translated. On the other note thank you guys for your great work on Game Gear games, as a fan of the system I greatly appreciate all your efforts.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:58:09 pm by Darth Link X »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Since you guys have pretty much translated most of the interesting games on the GG, there's really not much else left. Might be worth looking at some of the official translations and see how they hold up today. I also might as well mention the port of Gunstar Heroes...

I believe the first SF Gaiden was translated for the Sega CD Shining Force collection or whatever it was, so it technically has been translated, just on another system.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Yeah, the Mega-CD version was even somewhat expanded IIRC, with additional missions and whatnot. The best way to do this would be to use that script perhaps, but I don't think we'll be doing any other Game Gear games anytime soon, except for some fixes to the already existing translations here and there.

FeRcHuLeS

• View Profile
Thanks for translating Game Gear games, you already did several times don't you?

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
Thanks for the translation, I've been waiting to play this one for awhile now. Adding the option to fast forward and turn off random encounters was definitely a nice addition as well. :thumbsup:

By the way, this is obviously a turn based RPG, so why does wikipedia list it as "an action-RPG similar to the Legend of Zelda and Secret of Mana style of video games" when it clearly isn't? Very strange... There's even a screen shot of a turn based battle. I would say that this game is more similar to Phantasy Star Gaiden or the early Dragon Quest and Glory of Heracles NES games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Legend
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:42:00 pm by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

aqualung

• View Profile
Thanks for the translation, I've been waiting to play this one for awhile now. Adding the option to fast forward and turn off random encounters was definitely a nice addition as well. :thumbsup:

By the way, this is obviously a turn based RPG, so why does wikipedia list it as "an action-RPG similar to the Legend of Zelda and Secret of Mana style of video games" when it clearly isn't? Very strange... There's even a screen shot of a turn based battle. I would say that this game is more similar to Phantasy Star Gaiden or the early Dragon Quest and Glory of Heracles NES games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Legend

That's how Wikipedia is. They let lots of fake info on their articles without any shame, and when you try to put some true facts they undo them for no valid reason. I tried to add on a Last Bible article that Tom translated the second GB entry (the article said that GB Last Bible II was still untranslated) and they kept erasing my modifications because they needed "sufficiently trustworthy sources" (as if a link to Tom's patch itself on romhacking wasn't trustworthy enough).

TL;DR: screw Wikipedia.

By the way, I edit this post instead of writing a new one, so as to maintain the thread as uncluttered as possible. I've found a few interesting things about this game on the internet and I'd like to share them to anyone who might find it useful. One is the world map, a photo of the map that came bundled with the game (couldn't find a scan, just a direct photography. Better than nothing, I guess):

https://auctions.c.yimg.jp/images.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/image/dr000/auc0102/users/9ca75b8ce489d5df18b5c1820691d44ff81c5f39/i-img1200x1200-1581119537fnk21w223609.jpg

And in this page there's some info, although in Japanese:

https://www.pocketgamer.info/gameguide/eternal_legend/index.htm

I've found them by doing a search of the Japanese game name.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:00:44 pm by aqualung »

Griever_GF

• View Profile
Great! The more classic turn-based JRPGs are translated the better! :thumbsup:

Sarah Shinespark

• Creator of Arcana: Seal of Rimsala
    • View Profile
Oh, wow! The Game Gear RPG I spent the most time on was Defenders of Oasis, hadn't heard of many <others>.