News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI - Retranslated for the SNES  (Read 13875 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI - Retranslated for the SNES
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2020, 12:50:21 pm »
I would also love to see this script transferred over to the original japanese if possible. :))

This may be the first time I've heard someone on this website request a translation from English to Japanese. :) Dang.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2020, 09:28:41 pm »
The project is abandoned? We still need to fix the auction for the Hero Ring and some other issues. Can't play this version without a fix.

About retranslations: there is still only ONE Final Fantasy VI retranslation for Super Famicom — well-known old English translation by RPGONE. Not without problems but at now it is the only translation of the original Japanese ROM. Other projects for some reason used American ROM. Why don't use the original ROM, if you translate from the Japanese language? It will be true retranslation, not questionable relocalization of already localized game with hundreds patches and restorations.

Spoiler:
Sorry for bad English. It is not my native language.

For the most part it's easier to work with the US rom instead of the Japanese rom. I wouldn't say retranslating something wholly from scratch automatically makes it superior to any of these other projects. Some of these relocalization projects are very good in their own right (this one is my personal favorite) and while nothing is stopping anybody from doing a brand new translation from only the original Japanese script, we're kind of at the point where it's not really necessary because there are so many other options out there. 
Ballzysoft Industries: Making rom hacks about once every 20 years. This decade's release: EarthBound MSU-1 Hip Hop Journey

KIL913

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2020, 11:49:26 pm »
This may be the first time I've heard someone on this website request a translation from English to Japanese. :) Dang.

Well, in all honesty I would play either US or Jap rom just retranslated without the bug fixes. Lol

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2020, 02:22:04 am »
I think they were saying that they wanted the English script for the project in question ported to the original Japanese ROM, but still in English (thus functioning as a translation patch for the Japanese ROM), as opposed to using the US Final Fantasy III ROM.
Creator of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jmatz1995