News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Lighting the dark side of the Moon: Sailor Moon for PC-Engine CD translation released  (Read 6216 times)

SuperrSonic

• View Profile
Awesome, this was way up in my want-to-play-but-can't list.

I have a few questions, track 1 sounds like the CD player error, but track 2 seems to also be related to CD. I imagine it's fine to remove them if the game is always meant to be played correctly?

The other issue is track 13 which has Rei talking about something for 2 minutes, at around minute 1:08 a 'pop' noise is heard and the next thing she says sounds distorted for about a second. I thought the rip I had was bad but it seems the redump one has it too??

For anyone playing on a Wii, because the duplicate game part is removed, it's become a lot better to insert the game into a Wii VC game. The game bin now compresses to 39.7 MB, with the audio tracks at a low rate (I avoided going as low as possible) the whole thing now takes up 414 blocks. At that size it's a lot more reasonable on Wii. Original was around 870 blocks.

There's no huge advantage to using it over say wiimednafen, the biggest difference is the game is centered properly, in wiimednafen some of the screen gets cut off by the border on top, for some reason the height is 232 (like the screenshots posted here), on VC it's 224.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Track 1 is, as you surmised, a dumb skit to inform you that THIS DISC WILL DESTROY YOUR CD PLAYER, DON'T PLAY IT. It's not used in the game, so we didn't bother translating it.

Track 2 is actually the message that plays when you try to run the game on the wrong System Card version (not 3.00), and is basically just an advertisement for the game. We did subtitle it, so if you're curious, try running the game on a version 2.1 or lower BIOS.

Tracks 10-14 seem to be brief "interviews" with the voice actresses for the five main characters. They don't play during the game either and are just bonuses for anyone listening to the audio tracks. I hear the issue you're talking about on track 13; as you say, this is on the Redump-verified dump, so it seems to be an editing or mastering error from the original disc.

Removing these tracks should work fine as long as you run the game correctly, though I can't absolutely guarantee it.

And if you really need to save space, you could probably cut tracks 17 and 18 down to about a minute or so. They decided to loop both of them for five full minutes, even though you'd never hear them for that long under any normal circumstances.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
I've updated the patch to v1.1. This release fixes a few minor translation errors, corrects some formatting mistakes, tweaks a few lines here and there, and adds patching support for the "split BIN" format disc image that many people seem to be trying to use.

Detailed list of changes:
Spoiler:
  - Fixed the message displayed at startup if the Backup Memory is too full to hold a save file, which had accidentally been left untranslated. Thanks to ran on the RHDN forums for reporting this.
  - Added support for the common "split BIN" format used by certain archival sites to the patching process.
  - Miniscule art touch-ups (e.g. subtitle outlines that had a few pixels missing).
  - Various small translation fixes and tweaks, courtesy of vivify93 and mzlab:
    - Corrected one of Zoisite's lines: during the scene at Naru's house, he should have referred to the Black Crystal rather than the Silver Crystal.
    - One of Queen Beryl's lines should have referred to Tuxedo Mask choosing Serenity over her; it said the opposite instead.
    - Removed a stray "onii-san" that had been mistakenly left in the no-honorifics version of the patch.
    - Changed instances of "akuryo taisan" to "evil spirit, begone" in the no-honorifics edition of the patch.
    - Changed Rika Fukami's name in the credits to "Rica Fukami", which seems to be how she styles her name in English.
    - A few extremely minor changes to wording here and there.

Most of the meaningful updates in this version are due to immensely helpful feedback by vivify93 and mzlab, either one of whom probably knows Sailor Moon better than our entire translation team combined :thumbsup: Major thanks to the both of you, and to everyone else who's played this in spite of how horrendously cumbersome it is to patch and play a PC-Engine CD game. I'm hoping that with this version, most of the disc formats in common use are now supported by the patcher. As always, let me know if anything isn't working right and I'll do my best to fix it.

julayla

• View Profile
Great. Glad to hear that there are translators who are big Sailor Moon fans out there like I was.