News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mato Projects (mostly FF4/6 stuff)  (Read 60505 times)

Serity

• View Profile
Re: Mato Projects (mostly FF4/6 stuff)
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2021, 03:04:51 pm »
Quite honestly, I don't really see an issue with that screen. Maybe a "Press A to continue" or something. It's not much different than the old GBA safety warnings other than it being a consistent font. Maybe hide it once at least one save file has been made (or if the readme points at a patch, if the patch is installed by LDA checking bytes that the patch edits).

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2021, 07:29:08 pm »
Thanks, I'll try to put a "press any button" message in there and see how it looks. Here's what I have now after some adjustment last night.

It still feels unprofessional/warez-y/trainer-y/demo-y but I also don't want to put much work into it. The ideal solution would be to fix the broken music somehow but I think I'd go crazy trying to do that.

Kain Stryder

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2021, 08:00:08 pm »
Sadly the solution to the music is you'd have to remake it completely, as the emulator Tsushiy used had unlimited ram audio or something (I'm not technical in that area, but had several SNES music people explain it to me). Alternatively, you can do the SNES9x sound fix Tsushiy suggest but in his own words "it still sounds off/not perfect" and I'm not sure how hardware would work. The only real work around to his music is MSU-1 which we released/have available, which fixes ALL the music issues currently (it plays the music how it should sound, as if you were on uosnes (the emulator he coded it for), if you'd like to use that in your work, you're more than welcome to it (we host the files and everything, so nothing on your end would be needed). I believe we just need to inject some code based on your translation patch but that's pretty simple. Lemme know if that's something you'd be interested in :)

Oh, and a cool feature we're still play testing (but works in another mod flawlessly right now, Brave New World), we have a patch to allow 4 player FF6 via multitap. We had some hilarious bugs pop up in BNW when testing, but it was an absolute blast doing 4 way co-op, each person controlling someone and we got it working on T-Edition. When we're sure it's 100%, I'm gonna offer it to the Japanese community in case they'd be interested in it. 4 player T-Edition with all its content and new game+ features just makes for a good time in my opinion and I'd love to see streams of it down the road or how people co-op with each other, sort of like a MMO. If this is also something you'd be interested in lemme know :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 08:28:33 pm by Kain Stryder »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2021, 08:41:05 pm »
As I understand, the problem is that incorrect audio emulation assumes more RAM than is actually available, so on accurate emulation/hardware, the sound program overwrites itself and consequently crashes the APU.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2021, 09:37:05 pm »
Oh, I know the source of the problem thanks to everyone's explanations, but I imagine some of it might be feasibly fixable by modifying the amount of data that gets loaded before playing glitchy songs. That's how I would look into fixing it if I had the time. Kind of like how if a text script overflows into unrelated data, one solution is to trim the text until things do fit.

Speaking of which, a month or two ago during a stream I showed off my current build of T-Edition's translation. For some reason, enemies would just die immediately though, which confused me. It turns out my Bank 2 script had overflowed into some enemy data. Luckily I was able to get around the problem without any trimming.

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2021, 02:22:27 am »
Thanks, I'll try to put a "press any button" message in there and see how it looks. Here's what I have now after some adjustment last night.

It still feels unprofessional/warez-y/trainer-y/demo-y but I also don't want to put much work into it. The ideal solution would be to fix the broken music somehow but I think I'd go crazy trying to do that.

Any thoughts about giving it a background, maybe something simple like one of the battle landscapes?  Maybe have it be sepia-toned or something like that so the text pops over it more easily.
Ballzysoft Industries: Making rom hacks about once every 20 years. This decade's release: EarthBound MSU-1 Hip Hop Journey

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2021, 06:58:18 pm »
Any thoughts about giving it a background, maybe something simple like one of the battle landscapes?  Maybe have it be sepia-toned or something like that so the text pops over it more easily.

I second this! That's a nice simple way to give that screen more life.
Maybe even make a background based on the intro sequence.

Masaru

• lmao
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2021, 01:31:59 pm »
How much is done?

TheChristoph

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2021, 08:58:35 pm »
Since the music issues will be a big pain for people who aren't aware of them, I'm thinking of including a boot-up screen that mentions the issues, similar to what I did with my FF2c translation patch. Problem is, it looks pretty ugly and unprofessional right now:

This is all displayed in BG Mode 0 and is actual text data rather than a big image converted to tiles. If anyone has suggestions on how to improve this lemme know. I'll try to improve it on my own but I don't have high hopes, heh.

I think this is very charming.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2021, 11:41:28 pm »
Great work on translating FF6 T-Edition Tomato! :)

Ever since this was brought to my attention I've been waiting and looking forward to your project's completion so that I can finally give T-Edition a go! :thumbsup:

Cheers!! :beer:

8.bit.fan
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/
FF4 Ultima Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqjwJt

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2021, 09:12:37 pm »
Status-wise, I'm in the early testing phase, I've been streaming it on Twitch the past weekend or two.

I discovered that my splash screen code was causing the Equip menu to glitch out, so I decided to drop that idea since it was mostly someone else's code that I didn't fully understand myself. Instead, I decided to make a standard game text box open before the title screen panning, etc. so that I can then share info about the patch.

I've got it displaying properly, but for some reason, the game doesn't always recognize the A button when the the text box is showing, meaning it's not possible to progress the text/close the the box with the A button. Other times, it doesn't recognize other buttons. Sometimes, it doesn't recognize any buttons. WTF? This weirdness seems to change if you reset or reload the ROM, but I can't figure out why this happens. I've checked/watched/set various controller-related registers but with no luck.

Has anyone other FF6 hacker encountered this problem before? Basically, my custom title event script code now looks more like:

$96 (fade in)
$4b,$00,$80 (display Bank 0, Line 0, at bottom of screen)
$b2,$29,$5e,$00 (jump to the pre-existing title screen event script at $ca5e29 as is normal for FF6T)
$fe (return)

Everything

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2021, 07:37:54 pm »
By any chance did you modify the event script at CA/0001? Event command 4B has a hard-coded jump to a short subroutine at CA/0001 to make it wait for the dialog window to close.

Or maybe you need to add or remove character 0x12 (wait for keypress) at the end of your dialog message?

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2021, 11:14:35 pm »
Take a look at the original dialog scripts for the opening cutscene. They all have an ending character that allows them to be used either as a dialog you need to press "A" to advance, or as a dialog that clears automatically if it's part of attract mode. (In FF3usME, this character is listed as "<P>"). The event bits that controls these is either 2FE or 2FF (1EDD bits 6 or 7).

If I had to hazard a guess, when you reset the game, something happens to these bits that messes with how you have the new dialog box set up. Maybe it won't register the A button being pressed unless you have $2FF set?

You can check out the event that 2FE/2FF affect at CA/5E33. This is the event that shows the title screen and decides whether or not to go into attract mode. The actual cutscene where the dialog appears and is either cleared automatically or with a button press starts at CC/985E.

Everything

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2021, 02:09:33 pm »
PowerPanda might be on the right track (I think they meant 1EDF instead of 1EDD?).

Another idea, maybe the joypad settings aren't initialized when the message appears? Try forcing bit 6 of $1D54 to be zero when the game is reset (before the joypad gets initialized at C0/0053). That will force it to load the default button mapping when it reads the joypad.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2021, 01:10:18 pm »
PowerPanda might be on the right track (I think they meant 1EDF instead of 1EDD?).

I did indeed mean 1EDF. Thanks for that catch.

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2021, 04:16:25 pm »
I'm getting closer to releasing the patch, but have a few more questions for anyone familiar with recent versions of T-Edition:

• Does the Kaiser/Czar Dragon still exist in the latest release? There's a bunch of his text that I translated that I haven't come across yet in-game
  • Does the "complete every pub quest" achievement work properly? I could swear I've done them all already but nothing is showing up in the achievement room
  • In the Beginner's House, in the new secret area there's that room with the airship model, bone carving, talking chocobo, etc. What do I need to do to fill that room out?
  • Is there any new content that I'm liable to miss? I miss the old Dragon's Den and wish it was back, but the new place is pretty cool too
  • Speaking of which, is there still a secret gravestone in Eureka? I didn't see one when I explored it earlier

Raijinken

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2021, 06:11:14 pm »
I'm getting closer to releasing the patch, but have a few more questions for anyone familiar with recent versions of T-Edition:

• Does the Kaiser/Czar Dragon still exist in the latest release? There's a bunch of his text that I translated that I haven't come across yet in-game
  • Does the "complete every pub quest" achievement work properly? I could swear I've done them all already but nothing is showing up in the achievement room
  • In the Beginner's House, in the new secret area there's that room with the airship model, bone carving, talking chocobo, etc. What do I need to do to fill that room out?
  • Is there any new content that I'm liable to miss? I miss the old Dragon's Den and wish it was back, but the new place is pretty cool too
  • Speaking of which, is there still a secret gravestone in Eureka? I didn't see one when I explored it earlier

I'm pretty familiar with the hack, though I haven't played it since earlier in the year (right after the most recent release came out) so I hope these are helpful

1. You can fight Bahamut after beating the Dragons
2. Yes
3. You get a  few things from the auction House (Airship Model, Chocobo & Kappa), the Bone Carving's for completing a quest with Umaro, the Magicite's for collecting all Magicite, the Bouquet's either for recruiting Cyan in the WoR or completing the Dreams (I forget), Statue is for beating the Warring Triad, Magitek Armor's for either entering Kefka's Tower or defeating the Guardian (I forget)
4. Pretty sure it was just bugfixes
5. yeah, the gravestone's still there

Which version are you working with? The latest is 2.9.4 which came out in Feb.

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2021, 06:39:06 pm »
Thanks, regarding the Kaiser Dragon (which I consider separate from Bahamut in this context), here's a bunch of relevant text from the script, but I can't tell if he's still actually in the game or if it's just leftover text from an earlier version of the hack:

--------------------
The way is blocked by the
Seal of Earth.
--------------------
Seal of Fire.
--------------------
Seal of Death.
--------------------
Seal of Darkness.
--------------------
Seal of Curses.
--------------------
Seal of Wind.
--------------------
Seal of Water.
--------------------
It won't open! There must be a
switch somewhere!
--------------------
Defeated Cerberus!
--------------------
The Seal of Death is broken!
--------------------
The Seal of Darkness is broken!
--------------------
The Seal of Curses is broken!
--------------------
The Seal of Dragons is broken!
--------------------
The Seal of Earth is broken!
--------------------
The Seal of Water is broken!
--------------------
The Seal of Wind is broken!
--------------------
The Seal of Fire is broken!
--------------------
There is a distant sound…
--------------------
There's a weight here.
Push it off the edge?
[CHOICE] Yes
[CHOICE] No
--------------------
This is a one-way trip.
There won't be any way to get
back here…
[NEWPAGE]
Step into the portal?
[CHOICE] Yes
[CHOICE] No
--------------------
I am power itself.
--------------------
I am life itself.
--------------------
I am the overlord of all
dragonkind.
--------------------
The demon of salvation,
the god of destruction.
--------------------
I am… [LONGPAUSE]the Kaiser Dragon!

Serity

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2021, 07:36:48 pm »
None of the Kaiser Dragon or Dragon's Den stuff is in the game anymore, it's been replaced with Crystal Tower/Eureka. Kaiser is not even in the enemies list.

The Cerberus text might still be in for when you kill the bosses in Eureka, but I'm not sure off-hand...

Secret gravestone in Eureka is
Spoiler:
east of the shopkeepers.
The password is
Spoiler:
Ekmet Teloess, from FF2, and the password is found by talking to the brooms in Matoya's Cave.

For the collect-everything, don't forget Gau's Helmet from the Auction House (...since you did the pub quest and sold it, right?), you'll need all the types of Fish from the island as well, and also a spare pack of Sylkis Greens from the Phantom Forest. Nevermind, you were talking about the other room. Honestly, I'm not too sure what the triggers for a lot of the stuff in there is...

Most of the NPCs in the various developer rooms (including the bookshelf in the Namingway room) have different text if you bring certain characters to meet them, and one of the characters in the developer's music room has a different comment for pretty much every music track in the entire (vanilla?) game - by selecting a track from the music player and then talking to her - so don't forget to hit those.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 07:49:39 pm by Serity »

Kain Stryder

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2021, 10:17:36 pm »

Going off what Raijinken/Serity said, adding my info in:

Kaiser is gone/all that text is from an earlier version of the mod I guess, and he never removed it/you pulled it off the EX patch? If you glitch out of Narshe in EX (just load a save file on EX not in Narshe, like the world map), you can explore the game but it's heavily bugged (all battles are garbage/NPCs are the wrong sprites etc due to his tampering). He seems to have used an old version of his mod for the EX patch, because if you enter Eureka, it's actually Dragon's Den, fully coded, but battles are all garbage data etc. Feel free to explore, though :)

All the achievements work, yup, we've had a few players show it off recently/I've personally seen every statue in the collection room. Chances are you may've missed one, it happens, especially if it's the WoB like at South Figaro before the WoR (Protect Mt. Koltz! or something).

Raijinken explained the achievement room, yeah it's mostly the auction house stuff (you can buy the airship/kappa robot etc now) and I believe the magicite is from getting all the espers. Magitek armor is from entering Kefka's Tower.

The new content you might've not seen is the new tower east of dino forest. If you haven't explored it, go check it out :) it wasn't there when you played years ago. There's also the Soul Shrine north of Mobliz if you never checked that out as well. Otherwise, all the new content is listed in the new event html files and not missable (the dev room as Serity mentioned has a ton of stuff like interactions with npcs if you have specific people in your party, there's reactions to the bookshelf in the Namingway room (exit/enter to reset it) based on your party lead, and comments on the music player in the dev room/Maria comments or an NPC at the table if its an FF6 song only (there's like.... a handful of other songs as easter eggs also, try FF3 Aria the Maiden of Water and one of the Xenogears songs, Maria sings the lyrics to them if talked to).

All that "The seal of" stuff is Dragon's Den/not in the game. Defeated Cerberus! text to my knowledge isn't used either, as Eureka has a handful of FF3 bosses and none have "defeated xxxxx", it's something simple like you find an armor, click it, it says its name like "Illusionary Bracer" then the boss talks like "Defeat me and it's yours!", battle, win, "Obtained Bracer!" that's it.

Also one thing you may want to look into that we just had a player discover (and I can't notify Tsushiy yet since he's still MIA), is in new game+ if you take Relm to any inn or place you can change costumes and select her outfits, the game exits the dialogue and removes her from your party. She goes back to the airship and is fine, you can change outfits on the Falcon still, but if she's the party leader (or just in the party, it will stop the dialogue too/remove her) it gives you an invisible leader and the screen doesn't scroll correctly/can trigger the partyless party glitch if she's solo. Entering the menu/exiting with others in party just puts #2 in the lead and fixes this. I personally checked every other character, all of them can swap costumes, just it removes Relm. If you're able to look into this/fix it, definitely let me know, but I mentioned it in our read me/bug report.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 10:27:34 pm by Kain Stryder »