News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mato Projects (mostly FF4 stuff)  (Read 22305 times)

CO_Andy

• View Profile
Re: Mato Projects (mostly FF4 stuff)
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2020, 04:00:22 am »
Thoroughly enjoying this bizarre rom hack. Thanks a bunch, 'Mato  :thumbsup:

Not related but are you no longer working on translating FF VI T-Edition?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2020, 06:47:38 am »
Alright, back to it then...

So Bafsk is Fabul proper, an interesting idea, certainly.

I made a little money on the way here so I picked up a collection of Fire/Ice/Lightning arrows.

It's weird to see the Crystal Room is still just... there. I do like the idea of Borghen actually commanding people from a throne instead of aimlessly running around town.

And suddenly the Mist Dragon.

Cold Mist is ridiculously weak now. Ah, Maria gets the Mist Dragon this early, neat! Wasn't much of a fight unfortunately though.

Oh hey! Leonora joins quite early! That's nice to see.

Mt. Ordeals in the Northern Desert instead of non-descript cave in the frozen Tundra, interesting, but necessary change.

Josef is, indeed, basically Yang, haha!

They did an incredible job with the Leonora sprite, both in and out of battle. As my favorite TAY character they did a great job with her all around.

Hmm... there is a mountain pass that you can only reach with a Chocobo right now, which, coincidentally is right by Desert Mt. Ordeals, I can't resist. I'll check it out.

After I take one step, I'm put right outside of the Mythril Mine, I guess I'm not supposed to be here... as noted by the Readme, alright then. At least I savestated so I can just go back on the Chocobo.

Ah, Flame Rod right on the steps of Mt. Ordeals, quite nice.

Oh...! Despite this place being called Mt. Ordeals, the monster layout is still Mt. Hobbs, fair enough. Though I feel like buying that Flame Claw was a trap now, heh.

The MomBomb fight was actually rather well done. It wasn't anything too difficult, but it nearly came close to killing some of my party members.

Firion just learned Debris Storm, I'm glad to see some legitimately new spells being learned.

How interesting, so in this continuity because of Leonora's presence, Josef doesn't die. What an interesting idea and it makes sense from what had been established before. Leonora is slotted in so well in the story, without having played FFII you wouldn't know she wasn't originally in the game. It is also worth noting that her struggles are switch from TAY. Instead of struggling to learn Black Magic, here she struggles to learn White Magic. A nice role reversal.

I think that will do it for today though. Next stop will be Kashuan Keep.

I have to say, that Hovercraft is Amazing and possibly may make this mod better than the actual FFII due to having so little downtime between dungeon locations, I should also note that so far this game has done amazing with making every Gil worth it, which the original FFII and FFIV have both struggled with, so kudos to the creator. So far I'm still not optimally set up.

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2020, 01:40:21 pm »
Not related but are you no longer working on translating FF VI T-Edition?

No, I actually never started a proper translation project for it, although I did do that live translation series of it a few years back, and later made that Wanderbar plugin that translates everything but the new dialogue text (just needs someone to go fill in the blanks at this point):

I also heard there's someone else doing their own Lua-based translation, but I don't know the details.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2020, 08:08:29 am »
Hmm, there may be a slight issue in Kashuan Keep. As it is basically just Eblan Castle with the Goddess Bell to open the other doors, you can go down to the lower levels. The issue is that the game assumes you have Gordon at this point, but he's not required to reach this point.

Well... I do wish it was a little later, considering my Level 5 Gordon was immediately turned into a Paladin, but that's a nice scene. I only wish it was having used "Edward" Gordon for a longer period of time. The Paladin sprite for him looks good as well and in battle I think it is completely original.

I do wish I knew that scene was coming, so I could have dequipped the former Gordon, ah well.

I rather like these new scenes, Hilda thinking of ways to assist, instead of just being a damsel in distress at this point is quite neat.

Just one slight translation error I noticed. You still have that enemies are "weak to projectiles" when you use Libra, however it seems that Arrows are no longer Wind elemental in this, so you may want to change that "weak to Wind".

Well now! I did not expect to fight the CPU so early, oh dear...

A rather well-balanced fight, I'm impressed.

How... interesting, with the King's death the full recovery panel stops working. Hah.

And that will do it for the day. I think this game moves at a more brisk pace than the original due to the amount of transport options you have. It's refreshing.

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2020, 02:21:06 pm »
Yeah, I tried to fix issues with the original hack where I could, like that trigger tile thing from a few days back I was asking about. I ran into that Egil's Ghost thing before getting Gordon too, but couldn't think of a way to fix it. I did manage to change it so the Dreadnought chased the airship though in that 1 second animation though, which I'm kinda proud of  :P

July 22, 2020, 04:19:38 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I've uploaded all of my files + data + source code, you can get it here:

http://tomato.fobby.net/ffc2/Final%20Fantasy%20C2%20translation%20files.zip

Fellow FFIV hackers will probably find it interesting and/or hopefully helpful in some way. It'd be easy to retranslate the game now and use all of the text enhancements + extra storage space that I set up. Or maybe there's stuff in there that original hack creators might find cool too.

Anyway, if someone wants to submit the patch + the tools to RHDN's database feel free to do so.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 04:19:38 pm by Tomato »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2020, 09:47:38 pm »
Oh wow! You made that scene? I guess in the original hack it was unchanged from Vanilla of normal Airships chasing after the main one, from the Underworld? That is quite impressive! It was a cool scene, undoubtedly.

I think to require Gordon, you could *slightly* change the plot and have the Bell's success also require him in the party (perhaps have him ring it). It's very silly that his big class change can occur right after you get him.

Thanks for uploading your files, I will have to take a look at those later.

----------

I really like that Leila joins in the fight after taking out the Pirates. She's also no pushover. Her spamming Thunder/Thundara does actually require you to pay attention to what's going on and she has a healthy amount of HP. For a fully new and custom fight, well done!

"Ships don't work without Chocobos to propel them", really...? That's an odd choice to make, but it makes sense in context.

How bizarre. Leila starts at Level 20 with not full HP/MP, implying she just came from a battle. A nice touch.

I was not expecting Deist to be Troia for... obvious reasons, but I guess we are running out of castles now, though I suppose Baron... or Damcyan... would have worked, quite an odd choice, even odder is the treasure you can stumble across there.

Well, Deist had quite the haul! I am now paranoid that I missed similar special treasures in the other castles though, heh.

I can't say finding the Pendant was very difficult, but then again it was in the next room over in the original FFII as well.

Whoa! Was not expecting Maria to just be tossed the four Rydia return Summons just like that.

Wooden Hammer, eh? I guess I'll be heading to the Magnes Cave equivalent soon.

Oh my goodness! The Antlion fight was actually quite challenging. The Antlion's physical attacks are relentless and I really have to give credit to the maker of this. They made Protect (repeating casting of increasing your base defense by 8) useful for this one fight! I am impressed!

Queen Lamia was neat. She had a unique steal of a Lilith's Kiss which is a pretty good item, all things considered. She wasn't near as difficult as the Antlion, though I may have just gotten lucky since she did use Charm on Leonora, which thankfully she broke before Leonora could deal any real damage. A Bio here and a Fira with a Charge attack there and she was finished.

And that will do it for the day. Again, this mod continues to impress.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2020, 12:09:29 pm »
Grimoire LD, thanks for leaving your progress updates about the hack! When I found this a couple years ago, I thought the new intro was super cool but when I saw vanilla levels I kinda lost interest--I thought it was just vanilla FF4 with a new overworld and rearranged levels. I didn't realize there was so much new stuff in these old locations!

It didn't help I don't understand Japanese lol. Thank you Mato for your work on translating and fixing up this hack, too!

I'm definitely gonna have to give it a go soon.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2020, 07:54:46 pm »
I wasn't sure what to expect at first either, Celice, but it seems the creator really put their heart into making this a stand-out work. I wonder if perhaps they didn't have the tools available to modify maps themselves at the time?

So making it to the Palamecian Desert wasn't that difficult, but there was a surprise waiting for me in the desert. The Desert Devil hits hard and attacks fast, lulling the player into thinking they're fighting an optional boss. Nope! He has less than 2000 HP, haha.

The constant fighting in the desert has actually weakened me enough to the point where I have to use a Tent before reaching my destination. Kudos on that! I think this is the first time FFIV has ever asked that of me.

So the Coliseum is Damcyan? Well, it had to be used somewhere. The normal treasure place is alright. I have Leonora more inline to be a Sage, rather than a White Mage, so I can't say I found the Priest Miter to be terribly useful.

Fighting Calco and Brena in the Coliseum is interesting! They are made to be much more fleshed out enemies, Brena in particular are resilient and they counter with magic but they are susceptible to status.

I rather liked that the Coliseum wasn't just an Emperor plot, but also Leon too, it helps integrate him into the story just a little more.

"We'll draw the guards attention while you escape!" But... there are no more guards, in fact Damcyan is as barren here as it is in the actual FFIV. A slight bit disappointed there. That could have been a cool section to use the Magnes Cave theme (After all a high security prison that doesn't allow its prisoners to hold metal would be a way of keeping thematic sense) ah well.

On returning to Altair, it's almost surreal to see the Rebel Hideout has been cleared out. It's another good attention to detail.

Now this is a slight bit of wizardry... how did the creator manage to change the world state to add a village here? Unless that was here the entire time and I just ignored it.

Castle Fynn as Baron is fitting.

Haha! I like that the commander of Fynn is just Baigan, no setting up... whatever his name was from the original.

Baigan wasn't very difficult. The tactics remain generally the same as the normal game, except this time you have a Summoner which lets you break through his Reflect easily enough, I was careful to take both Baigan and his Right Arm down at once.

I am glad to see that the mod maker didn't forget his own lore and had Leonora know how to open the way to Mysidia Tower.

And I explored a little too far, ran into Odin, and he murdered me... great. I didn't save either, like a fool, bah.

I think that will do it for the day then.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2020, 12:29:33 am »
I finally got around to playing this on my flashcart. This difficulty smacks! But it's fun so far.

I noticed a small bug with the dialogue window. Sometimes the fourth line doesn't display. I think it might be a sprite limit? If I try moving around the NPC and talking again sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't.

The music sounds a little different too. I think the sound font was tweaked a little?

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2020, 05:20:46 pm »
I don't think the music was changed, I'm not sure any solid FF4 music hacking tools exist now that I think about it. Would've been cool to hear the rebel theme in FFC2.

For the flash cart stuff, some people have played it on sd2snes just fine, while others have had the same problem. It seems if you change a setting or two in the flash cart it fixes it, but I don't have one myself so I can't really say much about it. There's some relevant info on this thread:

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1286238252522000384

August 03, 2020, 02:55:41 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh, a couple people have pointed out the "Porky" spell in the game, but that's not a reference to the EarthBound games or anything else at all - the spell is literally called "Porky" in Japanese in FFIV so I just translated it that way. I didn't realize the "Piggy" name was so beloved though
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:55:41 pm by Tomato »

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2020, 02:22:33 pm »
Turns out it was my right speaker going out on the CRT. I didn't realize so many instruments played on a specific left or right output in this game!

I recently picked this back up, but I feel a little stuck. I just got the White Mask and gave it to the statue in Mysidia, but I'm a little lost on how to get to the Black Mask location. I thought I'd use a Black Chocobo, but there's no forests. I went to check Cid, but he's no longer in the town you first find him in.

I haven't played the original FFII in a looooong time but I'm pretty sure I need to get the Black Mask from an island. Anyone have any tips?

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2020, 08:48:30 pm »
I don't remember off the top of my head but I think you need to take a ship from that town with the port, I forget its name.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2020, 11:24:22 pm »
Yup, that was the solution.

And wow!! I finished the hack just now. Final time: 27:15 with 396/403 treasures discovered. What an amazing hack!!

I loved seeing the credits mention all the tools used.

This was a ton of great work by the original author(s?). I'm super thankful you spent the time to translate and share this hack with us, Mato.

I ended up with three of the secret crystals. I never managed to get the special mythril sword to be upgraded, either; I also found an oases that ended up never used in my playtrough.

The Golbez lyrics were super funny and they matched his theme song perfectly  :laugh:

I was never a big fan of the original NES version's leveling system, so this was a really cool way to replay the game, and as a big FFIV fan, seeing the way the two games complemented each other was super rad! There was some really imaginative asset repurposing.

This is definitely worth a playthrough for any fan :) I dropped you a DM with a little extra thanks, too!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 11:33:29 pm by Celice »