News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit Demake v1.1 update  (Read 5202 times)

Spud

• Kind of obsessed with Mario games
    • View Profile
Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit Demake v1.1 update
« on: April 20, 2020, 08:57:25 pm »
My very first hack ever completed. Super Mario Kart - Super Circuit Demake is finished. Featuring all 20 tracks from Super Circuit, as well as edited color palettes to make the tracks more resemble that of Super Circuit's, and a slightly altered item probability table. All of the Mushroom Cup tracks look like this:

Peach Circuit

Shy Guy Beach (which uses Cheep Cheep Island's colors)

Riverside Park

Bowser Castle 1 (which has a shortcut to make use of the feather)

and Mario Circuit

One more note, in Mario Kart: Super Circuit Yoshi Desert and Bowser Castle 3 are both in the Star Cup, in my hack Star Cup ends with Bowser Castle 3 and Yoshi Desert is at the beginning of Special Cup. That way there isn't two Bowser Castle courses in Special Cup and finally I did not do Super Circuit's Battle Courses in my hack cause I wanted to focus on just the race courses. That is all

Download link for patch: https://mega.nz/file/x4t1mSBY#YrugcjdB7I0wuSfB4msh8RG13tIVCx-WEn3A8OYfm4c
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:38:15 pm by Spud »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit Demake Release
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 02:22:22 pm »
Awesome!
Were you able to also implement the backgrounds from Super Circuit into SMK?

Also, would you mind if I make a hack release page with your patch?
Of course, with your name as the creator, I would simply make the page.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 03:13:58 pm »
Neat. I'll give it a spin as soon as I get a chance.

Spud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 03:36:39 pm »
Awesome!
Were you able to also implement the backgrounds from Super Circuit into SMK?

Also, would you mind if I make a hack release page with your patch?
Of course, with your name as the creator, I would simply make the page.

Not exactly. I've only edited some colors of the backgrounds to make them look more like Super Circuit. Such as making the sky purple in Snow Land and changing the color of the hills to yellow in the Choco Island tileset to make it look more like Cheese Land. I don't know how to create all new backgrounds for Super Mario Kart, the entire hack was made in EpicEdit and right now I only know how to do things in the confines of what EpicEdit offers. As for making the hack release page, I say go for it!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:27:40 pm by Spud »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 08:49:42 pm »
Submission for the romhack page is now in queue :)
It should be live in some hours!

And... it's live!
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5091/

If there are any updates, you can update the download link with the updated patch later on :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:16:24 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Spud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 12:11:04 am »
Submission for the romhack page is now in queue :)
It should be live in some hours!

And... it's live!
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5091/

If there are any updates, you can update the download link with the updated patch later on :)

Thanks a lot dude!

hahaae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 01:20:32 pm »
made a forum account here just to comment on this (i'm a pretty avid MKSC and SMK player)

first off, looks amazing. Does it have TT's? I'd imagine there's no way to make the tracks 3 laps instead of 5 (nor include a mushroom in TTs) -- tbh who cares about that anyways.

I was wondering if it's possible to load this on to a SNES cartridge to play. Looks like a blast, and something I would play the hell out of when burnt out on grinding SMK.

is it PAL or NTSC?

Anyways, again, looks fantastic. I've contacted Su/cstrakm to see if he would be interested in completing a GP TAS of this (he's the guy who did the GP TAS'es of MKSC and SMK, as well as a top MKSC player dating back to 2003 or so).

Spud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 09:40:31 pm »
made a forum account here just to comment on this (i'm a pretty avid MKSC and SMK player)

first off, looks amazing. Does it have TT's? I'd imagine there's no way to make the tracks 3 laps instead of 5 (nor include a mushroom in TTs) -- tbh who cares about that anyways.

I was wondering if it's possible to load this on to a SNES cartridge to play. Looks like a blast, and something I would play the hell out of when burnt out on grinding SMK.

is it PAL or NTSC?

Anyways, again, looks fantastic. I've contacted Su/cstrakm to see if he would be interested in completing a GP TAS of this (he's the guy who did the GP TAS'es of MKSC and SMK, as well as a top MKSC player dating back to 2003 or so).

Hey! thanks for taking a look at my hack! To answer your questions: Yes of course it has Time Trials. However currently every track has coins scattered throughout when playing in Time Trial Mode (which I can get rid of easily if it is bothersome). I've never seen any way to make each track 3 laps instead of 5 so I won't imagine that'll be in my hack anytime nor the ability to have a Mushroom at the start of each Time Trial. You could probably play this on a flash cart that plays ROMs on an actual Super Nintendo (such as Super Everdrive) and it is NTSC. By all means if you want to TAS this hack go for it! I used to Time Trial MKSC hard back in 2008-2010 or so and I used to submit my times at the Mario Kart Player's Page too. Good times!  :laugh:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 01:02:49 am »
Hey dude, just a heads up!
In case you are interested in being more in-line with Super Circuit, user @gridattack managed to make custom backgrounds for his SMK DX hack.

Here's the post:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30511.msg393375#msg393375

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 10:35:41 pm »
Hey there, I will be replying here. Hope you don't mind. 🤔

Yeah I knew about editing backgrounds in EpicEdit as I tinkered with changing some colors a bit in my own hack. I just want to know how would I be able to get a png of a background from MKSC and fit it into SMK's 8x8 tiles while using the limited colors

There's no tool that will automate that. Instead of looking into full rips PNGs of the backgrounds, download a MKSC ROM and fire it up on Visual Boy advance. IIRC, the tools that emulator has lets you see the background graphics that are loaded in, and export them into a png file.

Since it only exports the actual graphics (and not the runtime placement of them), you can then begin sectioning the pieces you need. Since SMK is limited, you will have to edit them manually with any image manipulation tool and confine them between the available space the game has, along with making sacrifices in color details too.

I remember looking into other BGs from that game I could use here, but most of the assets are bigger than 24 px (and even the small ones are in that height), so you will surely need to manually scale them down, break them into pieces of 8x8 and only use 3 colors so they keep the same dimensions the MKSC background had.

It's a long process, but basically that covers it if you want to attempt porting MKSC backgrounds into SMK.
My other concern if you are trying to import the backgrounds for MKSC to SMK, remember that SMK only has 8 themes, so not sure how things like Cheese Land or Ribbon road will fit in 🤔

Each background layer in theory has 1 page dedicated to the palette (with 4 unique palettes, each of 3 colors for each BG), but I noted that Epic Edit lets you use  the colors from the page next after their original palette page. While this looks great in paper as you could indeed cram more objects with different colors into a SMK theme, the colors from the next palette pages are used somewhere else (I don't remember what items/objects/HUD/sprite did use them)

TL;DR, you need to manually downscale and re-sprite the backgrounds to fit into SMK background space.
Hope this info helps in give you a general idea on how to change the BGs 🙂

Spud

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 11:20:03 pm »
Hey there, I will be replying here. Hope you don't mind. 🤔

There's no tool that will automate that. Instead of looking into full rips PNGs of the backgrounds, download a MKSC ROM and fire it up on Visual Boy advance. IIRC, the tools that emulator has lets you see the background graphics that are loaded in, and export them into a png file.

Since it only exports the actual graphics (and not the runtime placement of them), you can then begin sectioning the pieces you need. Since SMK is limited, you will have to edit them manually with any image manipulation tool and confine them between the available space the game has, along with making sacrifices in color details too.

I remember looking into other BGs from that game I could use here, but most of the assets are bigger than 24 px (and even the small ones are in that height), so you will surely need to manually scale them down, break them into pieces of 8x8 and only use 3 colors so they keep the same dimensions the MKSC background had.

It's a long process, but basically that covers it if you want to attempt porting MKSC backgrounds into SMK.
My other concern if you are trying to import the backgrounds for MKSC to SMK, remember that SMK only has 8 themes, so not sure how things like Cheese Land or Ribbon road will fit in 🤔

Each background layer in theory has 1 page dedicated to the palette (with 4 unique palettes, each of 3 colors for each BG), but I noted that Epic Edit lets you use  the colors from the page next after their original palette page. While this looks great in paper as you could indeed cram more objects with different colors into a SMK theme, the colors from the next palette pages are used somewhere else (I don't remember what items/objects/HUD/sprite did use them)

TL;DR, you need to manually downscale and re-sprite the backgrounds to fit into SMK background space.
Hope this info helps in give you a general idea on how to change the BGs 🙂

Yeah. All backgrounds have to be shared, some more than others. Cheese Land, Sunset Wilds, and Yoshi Desert all use Choco Island tiles and Ribbon Road shares the same tileset as Riverside Park and Lakeside Park so sacrifices were made. Hell yes this is great help thank you so much!  :)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 09:18:52 pm »
Sounds like SMK could use and expansion so more background graphics could be added as needed.

robg1979

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 04:43:43 pm »
Been giving this hack a try tonight, it looks and plays gorgeous, you've done a great job of show showcasing the Super Circuit tracks! Thanks for your time and effort doing this, it's really appreciated. I wish we could get a music maestro to make new Mario Kart tunes in the style of the original game to complement it  :)

Spud

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 05:40:25 pm »
Been giving this hack a try tonight, it looks and plays gorgeous, you've done a great job of show showcasing the Super Circuit tracks! Thanks for your time and effort doing this, it's really appreciated. I wish we could get a music maestro to make new Mario Kart tunes in the style of the original game to complement it  :)

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm really glad that you like it :)

segwayspeedracer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 10:16:40 pm »
Are you familiar with the SMK Workshop discord? Mr. L is the lead developer and probably 2 months ago was manipulating the Mode 7 angles to make the courses larger. Like, so if you link up with that discord its possible that you might be able to get these tracks to fit to original super circuit size.

I had to pull back from modding myself but I genuinely think your color choices and design are spot on, and with proper track size this hack would be insanely fun.

Spud

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit Demake v1.1 Update
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 05:34:28 pm »
I am here today to proudly say that I've updated my Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit Demake hack which now includes all 4 Battle Maps from Mario Kart: Super Circuit as well as a few changes to make the game a bit more polished. Here is the list of changes:

1. In Bowser Castle 4 I mistakenly had some of the road colored red when I released this hack to the public which blended in with the color of the lava. Any road that was red is now colored dark brown to make it more distinct from the lava and it more closes resembles the Super Circuit counterpart as it should

2. The thwomps in Rainbow Road are now more of a threat. Originally I only placed thwomps in the same place as the clouds in Super Circuit that shocked you if you got underneath them which were way off to the side and any good player probably wouldn't get hit by them. Now I've placed them in spots where they will be a bit tricky to avoid and also added thwomps on the straight stretch where the stars fall onto the course in Super Circuit

3. In Sunset Wilds I added piranha plants as obstacles in place of the Shy Guy teepees which would cause the player to spin out if hit. Now they are changed to Monty Moles so you would get the same effect from running into them as you would running into the Shy Guys in Super Circuit

4. Some of the ai paths in Sky Garden were incorrectly numbered at the finish line so your placement would jump a bit upon approaching the finish line even if you didn't pass anybody or if a CPU passed you. This has been fixed

5. The Shy Guy Beach courses, Boo Lake courses, and Bowser Castle courses have different colored backgrounds to make them a bit closer to Super Circuit

Finally here is a look at the four Battle Courses from Super Circuit that are now in the game:
Battle Course 1

Battle Course 2

Battle Course 3

Battle Course 4

When on the Battle Course Select Screen, the Battle Course names will show as Sky Garden 1,2,3 & 4 due to the limited amount of different track names that is possible to change in EpicEdit. For example I didn't want Sky Garden to be Rainbow Road 1 and then the actual Rainbow Road be Rainbow Road 2 so I changed *Battle Course* to *Sky Garden*

Here is the download link for update 1.1: https://mega.nz/file/09kikIwa#8SLvulethMvrPkGIT4vR3-XQxxE4m7owz48Eiuux2bY

November 25, 2020, 05:52:04 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Are you familiar with the SMK Workshop discord? Mr. L is the lead developer and probably 2 months ago was manipulating the Mode 7 angles to make the courses larger. Like, so if you link up with that discord its possible that you might be able to get these tracks to fit to original super circuit size.

I had to pull back from modding myself but I genuinely think your color choices and design are spot on, and with proper track size this hack would be insanely fun.

Hey thanks for your feedback! I am not familiar with the SMK Workshop as I'm not very active on Discord at all but to be honest, I feel like the track sizes are fine for Super Mario Kart. Sure there are some corners that are very tight to manage on 150cc and may require using the brakes but I feel like if the tracks were the same size as in Super Circuit, races would end up being a bit too long because of the fact that Super Mario Kart is 5 laps instead of 3
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:20:17 pm by Spud »

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit Demake v1.1 update
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 09:02:12 am »
Really looking forward to trying this, but it seems like neither link for 1.1 is working?

Spud

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit Demake v1.1 update
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 04:52:09 pm »
Really looking forward to trying this, but it seems like neither link for 1.1 is working?

Download links have been fixed!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:51:23 pm by Spud »