News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

How should Super Mario Bros 1 backgrounds look?

Darker like the NES game
Stay lighter like All-Stars

Author Topic: Super Mario All-Stars Redrawn ( SMB2 Demo now available in OP )  (Read 163912 times)

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario All-Stars Redrawn ( SMB2 Demo now available in OP )
« Reply #540 on: December 23, 2020, 08:59:00 am »
As for the poll at the top, I voted for "Darker like the NES game". It seemed to me that that was the better choice, considering it would be truer to the original NES version of SMB.

For a little while, that choice appeared to have more of a commanding lead over the other option, until three users in a row (evidently) voted the option of "Stay lighter like All-Stars".

Could someone please explain to me why one would think a lighter color theme would work better?

Hellfire

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 27, 2020, 08:36:11 am »
Well, I'm back. On the topic of SMB1, there are some things I don't really like about the bros., like the hair being brown.. I suppose you based it on the newer artwork, but Classic Mario had black hair. You can keep the brown hair in SMB2 and SMB3, but brown hair in SMB1 feels weird.
I've edited the idle stances with my own edits, changing what I felt was weird. I also made Luigi slimmer and taller.
Also, if changing the palletes are possible, I'd like the darkest color to be more dark so that it doesn't mix in with the bg or other stuff much.

https://imgur.com/a/dcFBZhe
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:44:53 am by Hellfire »

Justamariofan

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 27, 2020, 09:35:29 pm »
Update time for me: I'm still working on Peach's and Toad's sprites for SMB3 (I still don't know if you've taken care of that), but I have updated the unused SMB2 sprites. Here's what I did:

-Changed Toad's throwing expression
-Changed the shading on Mario's and Luigi's gloves in the character select sprites
-Added one pixel to separate Luigi's shirt and glove
-Fixed Mario's foot on his small throwing sprite

I already inserted these into my copy of the rom if anyone is asking.
https://imgur.com/a/REnfiuR
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 09:41:14 pm by Justamariofan »

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 27, 2020, 11:01:39 pm »
As for the poll at the top, I voted for "Darker like the NES game". It seemed to me that that was the better choice, considering it would be truer to the original NES version of SMB.

For a little while, that choice appeared to have more of a commanding lead over the other option, until three users in a row (evidently) voted the option of "Stay lighter like All-Stars".

Could someone please explain to me why one would think a lighter color theme would work better?
Because that's more natural. The NES colors were the way they were due to the NES having very few colors to choose from. The lighter background helps separate the BG and the FG details better. I've played hacks that have backgrounds with similar colors to the foreground and it tends to be a bit visually confusing, or obfuscates details.

If this was to follow the NES colors literally, then Mario should have his brown shirt, moustache and eyes like his sprites (and that looks like it's going to be an optional patch).

Justamariofan

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 28, 2020, 12:42:54 am »
As I was saying, here are Princess Toadstool/Peach's and Toad's SMB3 sprites. I didn't have the All-Stars rom open when I made these sprites but instead had the NES SMB3 rom open. Luckily, I remembered the color palettes from All-Stars.

However, Toad had a purplish vest color in the Japanese boxart of SMB3 so I don't know if you want to base it off that or keep it blue like All-Stars.

Oh, and if you're wondering where the unused Toadstool sprites are located, they should be with some of the castle sprites.
https://imgur.com/4qxSz04

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 29, 2020, 11:35:28 am »
Because that's more natural. The NES colors were the way they were due to the NES having very few colors to choose from. The lighter background helps separate the BG and the FG details better. I've played hacks that have backgrounds with similar colors to the foreground and it tends to be a bit visually confusing, or obfuscates details.

If this was to follow the NES colors literally, then Mario should have his brown shirt, moustache and eyes like his sprites (and that looks like it's going to be an optional patch).
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the explanation. :)