News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How did you find Mega Man boss order before the Internet?  (Read 1893 times)

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
How did you find Mega Man boss order before the Internet?
« on: April 08, 2020, 10:54:15 pm »
A lot of Mega man games were released prior to the Internet being popular, such as on the NES, or super nintendo. Did you just have to discover boss order yourself by testing, or were they listed in Nintendo power magazines, or the manual itself? Even though I started playing video games in the early 90's I never got into Mega man until the 00's and by that time I could search for boss order online.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: How did you find Mega Man boss order before the Internet?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 06:07:52 am »
Depends on the game, but I would either figure out with trial and error, common sense, or ask my brother-in-law who was also a hardcore fan of the series.

• Mega Man : It's obvious Fire Man wouldn't like Icicles attack, but Ice Man is weak to thunder and not fire as you'd expect. Cut Man has some garbage you can pick up with Guts Man's weapon, so this is a sign it's his weakness since other boss lacks this in their rooms. Ice Man and Elec Man are the only ones where using their weakness is really necessary to defeat them. Bomb Man, Guts Man, Fire Man and Cut Man are easy to defeat with mega buster.
  • Mega Man 2 : Why even bother, it's so easy to defeat the boss with your mega buster alone, except for Crash Man.
  • Mega Man 3 : Trial-and-error
  • Mega Man 4 : Same as 3
  • Mega Man 5 : Same as 2, except for Wave Man.
  • Mega Man 6 : Plants doesn't like to freeze, and snowmen doesn't like fire. However unlike in MM1 flame man is not weak to ice attacks.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:24:18 pm by Bregalad »

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 07:34:00 am »
Discovery of the optimal sequence was part of the thrill of the game. It was a clever mechanism for replay value. Sure, you could explore the stages in an order of your choosing, but if you hadn't learned the rock-paper-scissors relationships between weapons, the boss (or even the stage) would wipe the floor with you. So you had to determine if your failure was due more to lack of skill (try again) or lack of equipment (try another stage). Admittedly, this was sometimes more discernment than I had as a kid. Sometimes I hopped stages until I finally beat one. Then it was a matter of figuring out how and when to use the new weapon.

I'm probably just being a curmudgeon, but if you look up the recommended stage order instead of discovering it, I think you rob yourself of the satisfaction of figuring it out.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 11:58:08 am »
I think the great thing about Nintendo Power back in the day was that it really was the News You Could Use (as the old commercials went).  Nowadays it's trivial to find a FAQ that spills every last secret about a given game, but Nintendo Power and the like tended to give just enough clues about things you would take ages to figure out on your own.

Anyway, I might agree that there's some satisfaction in figuring out the boss order, but the difference in difficulty is just too vast – something like Elec Man in MM1 is completely trivial if you have Cut Man's weapon, and friggin' impossible otherwise.  I think the worst one that comes to mind is that one chamber in MM2 with the turrets that you can only blow up using Clash Bombs (and that is literally impossible if you run out of Clash Bombs).
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 11:58:28 am »
Replaying games dozens or hundreds of times to learn it was the norm back then. Also, this encouraged exchanging information with friends about hints and secrets in games. It was the meta game.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 12:14:45 pm »
  • Mega Man : It's obvious Fire Man wouldn't like Icicles attack, but Ice Man is weak to thunder and not fire as you'd expect. Cut Man has some garbage you can pick up with Guts Man's weapon, so this is a sign it's his weakness since other boss lacks this in their room. Ice Man and Elec Man are the only ones were using their weakness is really necessary to defeat them. Bomb Man, Guts Man, Fire Man and Cut Man are easy to defeat with mega buster.

I'm siding with Pokemon's decision that ice is not very effective against fire. Not going to create a fire to test it but since fire can melt ice it seems correct.
WOW I SOMEHOW GET INTO OFF-TOPIC RANT. I'm guessing Final Fantasy has fire and ice as equal opposites because of its limited elemental distribution. (they put in several elements that sometimes get relegated to gimmick spell lines) So its said that FF1 had a few elements but they were only "used" for like 15 different spells with the same novelty effect (instakill to enemies under 300 HP or whatever) :P Why FF6 can't have Water or a proper Wind attack "Magic"? Or maybe a single-target Earth? Did we really need Meltdown/Merton over those? (I'd say Flare except that had already become sort of an iconic spell by that point.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 04:33:36 pm »
I'm siding with Pokemon's decision that ice is not very effective against fire. Not going to create a fire to test it but since fire can melt ice it seems correct.
You're absolutely right, it would have make sense for Ice Man be weak to Fire Man's attack, and Fire Man to be weak against something else. Alas for you, that's now that the creators of Mega Man decided.

Discovery of the optimal sequence was part of the thrill of the game. It was a clever mechanism for replay value.
Absolutely, and it still is.

What is also interesting is that there is not one optimal order, but several. Take MM1 for example, you could start with either Guts Man, or Bomb Man, that would be the "normal" way to beat the game. You could also start with Cut Man or Fire Man if you want a good change and something a bit harder. But starting with Elec Man or Ice Man would be a really, really though challenge!

something like Elec Man in MM1 is completely trivial if you have Cut Man's weapon, and friggin' impossible otherwise
Agreed, I even tried with a save state before the fight to defeat it without any help, and even then I had to give up.

Also the OP mentions:
super nintendo
Mega Man 7 has the bosses coming in two rounds of 4 bosses, so the possible orders are more limited. Mega Man & Bass is similar on that it allows a limited number of bosses to be available to challenge at a time, and should be defeated to alow more stages to come.

Pluvius

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 08:32:22 pm »
The only MM game I played before having access to Nintendo Power was the original.  The first thing my brother and I figured out was that Cut Man was the easiest boss to beat using the blaster.  After that, it took us an embarrassingly long amount of time to figure out that Elec Man was weak to Cut Man's weapon.  (It's hard to believe now, but back then the idea of using bosses' weapons against them was totally novel; we thought that the purpose of the weapons was to get through the levels easier.)  After that, it was just educated guesses and trial and error.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 08:43:13 pm »
Mega Man 7 has the bosses coming in two rounds of 4 bosses, so the possible orders are more limited. Mega Man & Bass is similar on that it allows a limited number of bosses to be available to challenge at a time, and should be defeated to alow more stages to come.
Each of the Game Boy games is like that too.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 12:45:42 am »
The only MM game I played before having access to Nintendo Power was the original.  The first thing my brother and I figured out was that Cut Man was the easiest boss to beat using the blaster.

That's because Rock beats Scissors ;) *ba-dum tish*

But seriously, Mega Man games are kind of about figuring out which boss is weak to what weapon, just by charging into battle and then realizing "Wow this isn't doing anything." And that's just the 8 basic robot masters. I can usually recall which robot master is weak against which weapon in any Mega Man game, but sometimes it starts to get a little hairy during the "Fortress" stages in some of the later games. To my best recollection, Yellow Devil was the Elec Beam, Copy Mega Man is best dealt with using the Fire Shot, Bubble Boy is weak against the Guts Arm, and the good Dr. himself is usually Fire Shot and then Cut Blade for me.

But there are a lot of bosses in the Fortresses that you kind of have to improvise on. Take Bubble Boy, for instance. It's true that it's weak against the Guts Arm, but you only have 4 blocks in the room, and that isn't enough to destroy it. If you use all 4 for a quick kill on it as it keeps reforming its bubble shield and attacking you (it gets faster each time), then you have to deal the remaining damage to it using another weapon or your Plasma Cannon, and that takes time. So, the best strategy is to use your Plasma Cannon to weaken it first, then when 4 blocks will take it out, start chucking blocks at it.

It's these kind of intricacies to the gameplay that separate an ok game from a truly good game, in my opinion.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 05:42:14 pm »
It's hard to believe now, but back then the idea of using bosses' weapons against them was totally novel; we thought that the purpose of the weapons was to get through the levels easier.
Actually the more you advance in time in the series, the less useful are weapons in levels (aka outside of boss fights).

MM1, the weapons are very useful in levels, and they help a great deal. MM6, the weapons are basically your mega buster with a different graphical effect, they are of absolutely zero use other than damaging the boss who is weak against them.

That's because Rock beats Scissors ;) *ba-dum tish*
Good point, especially since this game was actually inspired by rock-paper-scissors !!

Copy Mega Man is best dealt with using the Fire Shot
I don't know, for me what works best is mega buster. Just stand there and shoot like crazy, not moving or anything, he'll be gone before you. (you will be hurt but who cares). For the rest you remember it the same as I.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 05:48:41 pm »
I don't know, for me what works best is mega buster. Just stand there and shoot like crazy, not moving or anything, he'll be gone before you. (you will be hurt but who cares). For the rest you remember it the same as I.

Presuming you have full health, I guess? I've never tried that before!

(Boots up Mega Man)

Edit:

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. It really does work. Thanks, Bregalad.

And it also provides an illustration of the answer to the topic title...on-topic. Who knew?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:54:53 pm by Spooniest »
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 04:39:19 am »
The first MM game I played was Megaman X and like most novices didn't know there was a "preferred order" so skipped the leg parts and got stomped by most bosses with the buster shot. I replayed the game after learning that some bosses had weaknesses.

But I avoided classic Megaman for a long time since I grew up with the snes and couldn't stand nes graphics. I agree Megaman 1 is not the best game to start with and recommend 2 or 3. I got the anniversary collection and usually look up boss order. Some people consider this cheating but whatever lol. It doesnt really make wily fortress levels much easier.

Interesting to read all your comments.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 04:46:15 pm »
Honestly, I used to power through the games, using continues, E-tanks, and whatever I needed to get to the end. Then, during the Wily Castle boss rush, when I had all of the weapons, I would experiment until I got it right, then write it down and use it on my next playthrough.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 05:39:14 pm »
Largely trial and error, minus the obvious ones, I think there might have been a few guides in one of the magazines I had as well, probably Nintendo Power.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Chicken Wings - Monikaze || https://youtu.be/11IKI36yDoo

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 08:31:54 am »
I actually got into the series for a short while in 2012.  I did look up what each boss is weak to in each game, but would roll dice (cubic and 8-sided) to determine which order I actually play the different stages in for each playthrough, just to vary it up.