News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X 1~3 Relocalization Project  (Read 14641 times)

G30FF

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X 1~3 Relocalization Project
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 06:31:21 pm »
Playing through X2 relocalization addendum, and so far so good. I did find one typo though. When you collect all of Zero's parts, Dr. Cain's line should be "some time" instead of "sometime".

EDIT: Finished my playthrough. When Zero appears to save you in X-Hunter Stage 5, "Sorry I have kept you waiting" would sound better as "Sorry to keep you waiting".

Otherwise, good stuff here!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:33:32 pm by G30FF »

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2020, 11:21:24 pm »
Maybe instead of "Halt" it could be "Stop, X" or "Wait, X"?

I'm planning on giving your addendum patch a playthrough later today, I'll check that out!
"Wait, X!" sounds the most natural to me, but I haven't yet played it to know what the following line is.

I think I'm gonna stick with "Wait, X!" overall I feel like I want to add a sense of slight overconfidence on Zero's part since I feel that's probably what the original intention was, shame there's not as much text room to get that across.

Nice. The Relocalizing of the original trilogy will be something for me to try.

Solid One's relocalization patch for X3 should be out on the site soon if you want to check that out since there's still some things I have to work with as far as porting that script over and doing some personal touches and what not.

Playing through X2 relocalization addendum, and so far so good. I did find one typo though. When you collect all of Zero's parts, Dr. Cain's line should be "some time" instead of "sometime".

EDIT: Finished my playthrough. When Zero appears to save you in X-Hunter Stage 5, "Sorry I have kept you waiting" would sound better as "Sorry to keep you waiting".

Went ahead and fixed the "sometime" typo and I'll probably change that last line too.  Tempted go with NectarHime's translation of the scene which has "Kept you waiting, huh?"  :X

Also, you might want to go to Thirteen 1355's X2 reclocalization thread and suggest that since "Sorry I have kept you waiting" is in their relocalizaiton. but either way I'll fix that up to sound better.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2020, 11:34:14 pm »
Good idea. I've replied to that thread to suggest the same change.

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 12:08:50 am »
Honestly, if you're going to change "Violen" to the proper French spelling, "Violent," then what's the point of retaining "Serges" when the proper French spelling is "Sagesse?"

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 12:57:28 am »
Honestly, if you're going to change "Violen" to the proper French spelling, "Violent," then what's the point of retaining "Serges" when the proper French spelling is "Sagesse?"

Because there's two versions of the patch, one with the English terminology and one with the Japanese terminology and it'd be a consideration for the "Irregular" version, that said I don't know if I'm going to bother since it's still "Baioren"/"Violen" in Japanese while in the case of Serges it's "Sāgesu"/"Sageese".  The only thing I haven't really bothered with so far with the "Irregular" patch is renaming the eight bosses for each game because when I tried for X1, it resulted in the game crashing.

In other news:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 01:43:35 am by Naldrag »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 02:04:52 am »

Me, I would've gone with the "Sorry, I've kept you waiting" or something like that.

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 04:14:02 am »
Both the Mega Man X Relocalization and Mega Man X2 Relocalization Addendum have been updated, get your weapons ready!  These have also been submitted for update on the main site.

Mega Man X Relocalization (v1.1): https://drive.google.com/open?id=142T168bxQPobEgeu0edGF2JrgAziNctV
Mega Man X2 Relocalization Addendum (v1.2): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XD_-pk9aMXh-GMoXFk_IxwjOYutQPavI
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 04:32:13 am by Naldrag »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2020, 01:20:34 am »
There's also a Mega Man X3 Relocalization project, by Solid One, released back in january.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29848.0

That's cool, though it looks like from when I tried it, it still needs some work. At least in my opinion.

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2020, 03:43:17 am »
That's cool, though it looks like from when I tried it, it still needs some work. At least in my opinion.

I'm having to make some personal changes for my addendum of it, so perhaps you'll find it more suiting.  Also, Solid One took advantage of the extended script from the Zero Project so it wasn't actually compatible for editing, I'm keeping in what works/fits in the base ROM and if there's something I feel needs changing I've been taking personal liberties with, primarily going off NectarHime's script but also taking notes from Hondoori's translation like pretty much all of these have done.

Also, had to make Vile/VAVA be edgy, because I feel that's the law also a certain phrase is in the literal translation and it was too good not to pass up. :V

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:29:20 am by Naldrag »

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 03:14:57 pm »
In regards to the Zero Project, a relocalization patch wouldn't be out of the question.  It'd be something I could do after as an aside, I imagine for the most part as far as porting over X's text it should be fairly simple and then just making up dialog to go with Zero shouldn't be that hard.  Obviously there wouldn't be anyway of patching this into the X Collection BUT... it'd be kinda insane not to improve the best way to play Mega Man X3 in that department.
I will be waiting for this, Zero Project would be even more perfect with this. ;D

Solid One

• Silent Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2020, 05:07:32 pm »
I agree that some parts in Hondoori's translation are a bit too much literal, and rephrasing some of them in order to make them sound more natural is a good idea, such as the example above. However, I don't think using bad words here is a good idea.

I'm not sure if even the "pain in the ass" part is a precise translation. Maybe, in the original, it was something similar to "mendokuse [面倒くせー]", which means literally "troublesome", and that's why I put this sentence as something in the lines of "capturing him alive is a troublesome task".

Besides, even if indeed Vile / Vava meant to use a bad word here, I haven't seen a single bad word in the entire megaman series (at least not in the original localization). And the classification for most megaman games are Rated "E" (everyone), not "M" (mature). IMO, avoiding bad words would be wiser.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2020, 06:37:42 pm »
Sure, Hondoori's translations (and DuoDynamo's, in the case of X6) sound very literal, but I get the feeling that's what people looking for a retranslation are most likely interested in: a script that expresses the original's meaning as directly as possible.

As a non native english speaker, some of the usual rewrites to make translations "sound more natural" only sound more "american" to me, and leave me wondering what was the original dialogue like, just like the official localizations do. Expressions like "pain in the ass" definitely have that effect.

If that's what you want though, that's totally fine. You just have to be very conscious about at which point you're standing on in the spectrum between "as direct a translation as possible" and "stylized rewrite".

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2020, 06:56:09 pm »
Both the scripts I'm referencing (NectarHime's and Hondoori's) use the phrase "pain in the ass", and I mean with the X series being meant to be "edgier" Mega Man, I feel like a few instances of swearing isn't too bad.  Her-Saki's Rockman X translation and Thirteen 1335's X2 relocalizations have also had slight swearing in them.  It's definitely nothing that's going to surpass the series current "T" standing anyway.  That said, the series has had multiple instances of mild swearing in the past and still got the "E" slapped on it.  Mega Man 7, Mega Man X (specifically the GC/PS2 version), and Mega Man X3 all have usage of "damn".  Mega Man X4 had multiple instances of "damn" and there's also the infamous Double scene... and then there's the infamous Mega Man Battle Network 2 translation, which had sex jokes, several instances of swearing, and is still to this day rated "E".  I don't really plan on going too much farther than that in terms of language though.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2020, 03:04:41 pm »
Is there any chance of making a version for Project Zero?
See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2020, 03:30:43 pm »
Is there any chance of making a version for Project Zero?

It's in the cards, but it's not something I'm immediately going to tackle after I finish Mega Man X3, as I've been working on some stuff regarding Mega Man X4 in the Mega Man X Legacy Collection.  Speaking of which... there is something I need to look into that might make that mod better in the long run.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2020, 04:57:17 pm »
Great. Though when I tried to run the re-localized X1 with the Capsule Remix hack, the game kinda crashed (fortunately, I made a copy to test it before I patched it). Kinda weird, though.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2020, 05:16:42 pm »
Great. Though when I tried to run the re-localized X1 with the Capsule Remix hack, the game kinda crashed (fortunately, I made a copy to test it before I patched it). Kinda weird, though.

Capsule Remix requires a headered ROM to work. You need to add a header to your X1 ROM, apply Capsule Remix first, then remove the header from the ROM, and then apply the relocalization. Then it should work fine.

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2020, 05:24:16 pm »
It's in the cards, but it's not something I'm immediately going to tackle after I finish Mega Man X3, as I've been working on some stuff regarding Mega Man X4 in the Mega Man X Legacy Collection.  Speaking of which... there is something I need to look into that might make that mod better in the long run.

Great work really. It is super appreciated. So glad to finally have X games that aren't dumbed down for us USA yuppies. lol  :thumbsup:
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2020, 06:10:24 pm »

I can look into making a version that's compatible with the Capsule Remix from the get go.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2020, 10:38:09 pm »

I tested it here, first I applied the relocalization patch, then Zero Project patch and finally the MSU-1 and apparently it is working well, I have to play until the end to see the result.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:22:50 am by darthvaderx »
See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos