News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X 1~3 Relocalization Project  (Read 14651 times)

Naldrag

• View Profile
Mega Man X 1~3 Relocalization Project
« on: April 08, 2020, 05:44:08 pm »
Introduction
Hello, this is my first proper series of text hacks / relocalizations, so what does this project entail?  It's an overall project to relocalize Mega Man X within it's currently existing ROM size.  Since Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3 already have existing relocalizations done by Thriteen 1335 and co. for Mega Man X2 and Solid One for Mega Man X3.  In the case of Mega Man X2 any changes in regards to that will just be a fork of the current patch V1.4, since I believe further updates will be using a VWF by DarkSamus993... which if it's like Her-Saki's Rockman X translation would increase the ROM size, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.  The reason behind wanting to keep the current ROM size is that this will also ultimately be a patch for the Mega Man X Legacy Collection as well, which needs Mega Man X1-3 to be the same as their original ROM sizes.  This is also being done as a sort of practice before I tackle the Mega Man Zero series for the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, and maybe do my own series of relocalization hacks there too, I'm not sure yet.

There will be two main variations of this patch and it's in regards to the series' terminology which for simplicity purposes will just be referred as the Maverick and Irregular versions.  The Maverick version will stay consistent with the series existing naming terminology so there won't be any changes in that department.  The Irregular version will be more in line with the Japanese naming terminology so Maverick = Irregular, Reploid = Repliroid, etc.  For the purposes of this project, I'll be basing them on both NectarHime and Hondoori Game Center's translations.

Features
Overall Changes
  • Relocalize the script for Mega Man X
  • Make addendum's to the Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3 relocalizations to adhere to a consistent manner.
  • Implement coloration for character text similar to Her-Saki's Rockman X translation.

Maverick Ver.
  • Revert name changes from Thirteen 1335's Mega Man X2 relocalization, thus Sageese = Serges and Counter Hunters = X-Hunters.  This is mainly for consistency sake for the Mega Man X Legacy Collection.
  • MMXLC Only: Have a patch for Thirteen 1335's X2 relocalization, without any changes.

Irregular Ver.
  • Change all terminology to match the Japanese ones.
  • Make the boss names the same as their Japanese counterparts. // EX: Flame Mammoth = Burnin' Noumander
  • Separate patch to change Mega Man X to Rockman X and Dr. Light to Dr. Right.

MMXLC Patchers
Since there's going to be various patches to fit someone needs I'm going to try to set up a form of patcher along side the base patches for customization purposes of trying to match everyone's sensibilities.  Which will feature the over all changes mentioned above along with DarkSamus995's title screen patches and perhaps other oddities.  This is primarily for the Mega Man X Legacy Collection since there are separate patches included with the ROM relocalization / relocalization addendum hacks.

Mega Man X Relocalization Spreadsheet
The following contains a spreadsheet with the original USA script, my current relocalization script, NectarHime's retranslation script, and Hondoori's literal translation script.  These have all been put there for input on what should end up in the relocalization.  With all that said... here it is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tPjDHgfAFewXuIosZLWAqT7pFoWQPolvIZcBmcdS2q4

Mega Man X2 Relocalization Addendum Changes
All Patches
  • Minor script changes to allow for consistency between both patches.
  • In dialog Dr. Light and Dr. Cain are labeled as "LIGHT" and "CAIN" instead of "DR.LIGHT" and "DR.CAIN" for simplicity's sake and to allow for more room in the script overall for changes.
  • Consistent character text colors for the most part. Due to palette issues though Agile, Serges, and Violen's dialog are the default blue outside of cutscenes.  Otherwise everything else is consistent.

Maverick Version
  • Changes Sageese back to Serges and Counter Hunters back to X-Hunters.

Irregular Version
  • Changes "Maverick" and "Reploid" to "Irregular" and "Repliroid" respectively.

Mega Man X3 Relocalization Addendum Changes
All Patches
  • Script changes to allow for consistency between both patches.
  • In dialog Dr. Doppler, Dr. Light and Dr. Cain are labeled as "DOPPLER", "LIGHT" and "CAIN" instead of "DR. DOPPLER" "DR. LIGHT" and "DR. CAIN" for simplicity's sake and to allow for more room in the script overall for changes.
  • Consistent character text colors... at least for the THREE whole consistent text palettes Mega Man X3 has...

Irregular Version
  • Maverick = Irregular, Reploid = Repliroid, Bit = Vajarila FF (V.FF), Byte = Mandarela BB (M.BB), Dopple Town = Doppel Town, and Vile = VAVA

Screenshots
Mega Man X

Mega Man X2

Mega Man X3

Mega Man X Legacy Collection

Conclusion
I'm hoping this project will aim to be a fairly enjoyable project not for just those in the ROM hacking community but those who are fans of the Mega Man X Legacy Collection on PC as well and have been hoping for mods for the overall collection (not that it's going to improve input latency in MMXLC... har har har...).

Downloads
Mega Man X Relocalization (v3.0): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xGm-5QVWTYBruwJzl3lJO6Zx1HmN9L9G
Mega Man X2 Relocalization Addendum (v3.0): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e-ozp11Vpyw8KXMENICH0q-DP5LW4JIk
Mega Man X3 Relocalization Addendum (v3.0): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E9sNJ-SJnbPWGXSHxHHBRv-xlLILox5B
Mega Man X Legacy Collection Relocalization Patcher (v1.7): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L09941zEgwukhv1vu4Y28vNlLnw5DXJA

Credits
Thirteen 1355: Their work on the Mega Man X2 Relocalization had inspired me to work on similar projects for other Mega Man titles that haven't had any work done yet.
Solid One: Their work on the Mega Man X3 Relocalization.
Metalwario64: Their updated Mega Man X title sprites along with sprite fixes to X's Second Armor in X2 regarding charging and buster sprites.
DarkSamus995: Their work with Thirteen 1335 and porting in Metalwario64's title sprites and Rockman X1~3 boss name porting and for the Rockman X1~3 title logos.
Hondoori Game Center: Their work translating the original Rockman X1-6 scripts to English is definitely something to admire and part of the basis for this project.
NectarHime: Their work localizing Hondoori Game Center's translation into something closer to western sensibilities is also a big inspiration for this project and the main basis for the work done here.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 05:20:41 am by Naldrag »

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X 1~3 Relocalization Project
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 02:34:20 am »
It's great that you're giving the first trilogy a rundown with consistent criteria. Best of luck, hope it all goes well!
A shame that you're limited by filesize. It would be great if X3 Zero Project could be included in a relocalization project like this in the future.

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 04:29:31 am »
I've compiled a release candidate for the first version of the Mega Man X Relocalization, it has both the Maverick and Irregular patches in the zip file, when ever possible I've tried to stick to NectarHime's script so there will be parts where it's that script verbatim and then others where there isn't enough room where it's interpreted the best I could think of at the time.  Later today, I do plan on posting a spreadsheet consisting of the differences.  There's a few lines I feel like could use some work still which is why for now this in RC status, because I'd like to get other people's input.

You can download the MMX Relocalization here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UccX83hOiK-NOUEMORB6RDEs8WLr1cMc

Later today, along with creating a spreadsheet to document changes, I'm going to be updating the front post further with revised screenshots to reflect the changes in this build.

In regards to the Zero Project, a relocalization patch wouldn't be out of the question.  It'd be something I could do after as an aside, I imagine for the most part as far as porting over X's text it should be fairly simple and then just making up dialog to go with Zero shouldn't be that hard.  Obviously there wouldn't be anyway of patching this into the X Collection BUT... it'd be kinda insane not to improve the best way to play Mega Man X3 in that department.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 05:51:39 am by Naldrag »

jim35

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 12:21:05 pm »
can you after your done with x 1 2 3 work on x4 5 6 7 8 then after that mega man 3 4 5 both Japanese dub and script of mega man 8 and last if you could after that translate the japanese version of streets of rage 1 and 2 if you can't with any of these games i understand
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:49:55 pm by jim35 »

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 03:19:30 pm »
 This looks cool, but I think I will wait for all 3 to be done before checking it out.  :D
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 03:50:07 pm »
Keep in mind X2 is already done, so 2/3rds of the trilogy is mostly done.  I'm only going to me making a minor fork just so it'll be in line with the patches I'm working on for X1 and X3.

Also, I'm working on a spreadsheet right now with all the text changes if anyone wants to provide input that way, so they won't have to run through the whole game just to be like "oh is this line is kinda bad, chief"

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 04:18:28 pm »
There's also a Mega Man X3 Relocalization project, by Solid One, released back in january.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29848.0

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 04:36:22 pm »
The Zero Project is open source with everything, including I think all the Atlas files too. So it's very easily doable to do the relocalization for anyone at this point.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 04:51:41 pm »
I wasn't actually aware about the X3 Relocalization, well very good.  I can use that for a basis as far the Zero Project goes then.  So I guess my main concern will be just X1 and then whatever changes I need to make for consistency with X2 and X3.

The spreadsheet detailing dialogue changes for Mega Man X can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tPjDHgfAFewXuIosZLWAqT7pFoWQPolvIZcBmcdS2q4/edit?usp=sharing

Update: Mega Man X Relocalization v1.0 has been uploaded: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jNz4nZ0g9Ar1zDSl-Ye0-bHkbXlScrtQ // It has also been submitted to the main site.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:16:45 am by Naldrag »

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 09:54:54 pm »
I've been doing a playthrough of this, and so far I'm loving it! I'm also happy to report it's fully compatible with Capsule Remix (patch a headered rom with Capsule Remix, remove the header, and then patch this on top).

Solid One

• Silent Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 10:50:15 am »
Congratulations for your project. Now we have relocalizations for all MMX SNES games.

BTW, guess I'll submit my X3 relocalization hacks to the site. I was waiting for the progress of DarkSamus993's VWF implementation on X3 in order to finish them for good, but it's better to submit them in their actual state, and include this feature on future updates.

anthroxdq32

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 11:18:18 am »
I feel like the English versions are the worst from X2 and onward. The dialogue is horrible. Things like (MEGA MAN) and Doc just make you think that some typical fan was making the scripts the way they were.

I could care less for a relocalization of the USA games honestly. I'd rather see true translations of these games based off the Japanese ROMs, with the Rockman title screens used and Japanese naming just for people that hate the way the English titles are as a whole. I'm all for quality here.

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 02:43:33 pm »
Work has been finished on my Mega Man X2 addendum which can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13yD7Bj1upB3bBZf-3KIzYuxUNMzepTUu
I have also uploaded it to the main site, but it's going to be a bit goofy because I thought of a better fix for a certain line of dialog so this one is v1.1 and the one current in the queue is v1.0 after it's uploaded I'll update it to v1.1 on the site.

I've been doing a playthrough of this, and so far I'm loving it! I'm also happy to report it's fully compatible with Capsule Remix (patch a headered rom with Capsule Remix, remove the header, and then patch this on top).

I'm glad you're enjoying it, if you have any dialog recommendations that you think will work better, I'm still open to suggestions and I'm glad it works well with other patches.

Congratulations for your project. Now we have relocalizations for all MMX SNES games.

BTW, guess I'll submit my X3 relocalization hacks to the site. I was waiting for the progress of DarkSamus993's VWF implementation on X3 in order to finish them for good, but it's better to submit them in their actual state, and include this feature on future updates.

Thanks! Yea I'd say it'd be a good idea to go ahead and upload it.  Since I've finished the MMX2 Relocalization Addendum, I'm going to be working on my addendum for it (there shouldn't be many changes aside from term and name changes, and maybe colors).  I think it's still enough differences to have both versions uploaded to the site though, especially since in the long run there will be enough differences between the two.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:58:13 pm by Naldrag »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 03:08:29 pm »
Also please consider the correct french spelling : Violent, not Violen.

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 03:20:43 pm »
Also please consider the correct french spelling : Violent, not Violen.

I might look into it after I do tweaks with X3 for my addendum of that.  Granted it seems minor but with the "Irregular" patch it'd be a pain to actually change it since any lines with his dialog so far don't have any extra space, but if I can think of something satisfactory to allow that change I'll do it.

I feel like the English versions are the worst from X2 and onward. The dialogue is horrible. Things like (MEGA MAN) and Doc just make you think that some typical fan was making the scripts the way they were.

I could care less for a relocalization of the USA games honestly. I'd rather see true translations of these games based off the Japanese ROMs, with the Rockman title screens used and Japanese naming just for people that hate the way the English titles are as a whole. I'm all for quality here.

Well, Her-Saki has been working on a translation for Rockman X2 so that's probably what you'd be looking for whenever they get the bugs worked out.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:57:28 pm by Naldrag »

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 01:06:34 am »
I just finished my playthrough of the X1 relocalization, and the script changes really do work to the benefit of the game. It feels much more polished. I can't think of anything I would change personally, except maybe instead of having Zero say "Halt, X" when encountering Vile, changing it back to "Stay back, X", but I realize that choice may be for space reasons.

I'm planning to give a go to the X2 relocalization tomorrow. How much of it was changed from Thirteen 1355's relocalization? Because if I were to have one ask from it, it would be an alternate Maverick version that kept their name change for Serges to Sagesse while still maintaining the rest of the localized names.

Great work, and I'm looking forward to seeing X3 (and the Zero Project)!

Naldrag

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 02:27:30 am »
I just finished my playthrough of the X1 relocalization, and the script changes really do work to the benefit of the game. It feels much more polished. I can't think of anything I would change personally, except maybe instead of having Zero say "Halt, X" when encountering Vile, changing it back to "Stay back, X", but I realize that choice may be for space reasons.

I'm planning to give a go to the X2 relocalization tomorrow. How much of it was changed from Thirteen 1355's relocalization? Because if I were to have one ask from it, it would be an alternate Maverick version that kept their name change for Serges to Sagesse while still maintaining the rest of the localized names.

Great work, and I'm looking forward to seeing X3 (and the Zero Project)!

Yea, I used "Halt, X!" for space reasons because I wanted to be a little bit edgy and have Zero call Vile a bastard like in Her-Saki's Rockman X patch. :V
If I can I might try to change that to something that doesn't sound as forceful.

The main difference in the X2 addendum is that all characters for the most part have a consistent dialog color aside from when encountering the X-Hunters in stages, and that all the original Englsih terminology was restored.  Since, I worked from a version with the Japanese terminology though I did have to redo the dialog a tad bit to make room for "Irregular" and "Repliroid", if I decide to go a bit further and have that version call "Violen", "Violent" there will end up being a few more slight changes done, but for the most part it's most the same, the biggest change would probably be my interpretation of one line where Serges is first communicating with X providing him with the challenge to collect Zero's parts.

Update: So I was unaware that Solid One actually used an expanded ROM size for their X3 relocalization so my addendum will be quite a bit different in some areas, since I'm using the original ROM size... I might be a bit mad for insisting on getting something to fit in MMXLC.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:40:14 am by Naldrag »

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 10:59:30 am »
Maybe instead of "Halt" it could be "Stop, X" or "Wait, X"?

I'm planning on giving your addendum patch a playthrough later today, I'll check that out!

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 01:10:34 pm »
Maybe instead of "Halt" it could be "Stop, X" or "Wait, X"?

I'm planning on giving your addendum patch a playthrough later today, I'll check that out!
"Wait, X!" sounds the most natural to me, but I haven't yet played it to know what the following line is.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 05:00:05 pm »
Nice. The Relocalizing of the original trilogy will be something for me to try.