News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: TileShop and ImageMagitek (v0.95 preview)  (Read 1542 times)

Klarth

• View Profile
TileShop and ImageMagitek (v0.95 preview)
« on: April 05, 2020, 12:00:26 am »
Overview
TileShop Github
Install Instructions and Usage Wiki

TileShop is a tile and pixel-based graphics editor for Windows made with C# and WPF. It supports project-based graphics editing for most common systems with game-based palette colors, game-based palette editing, and exporting of images. SNES is the best supported workflow with improvements coming to PSX (TIM loading) and full support coming to NES (palettes) in the future.

ImageMagitek is the currently unreleased cross-platform graphics library that TileShop builds upon. ImageMagitek is situated to allow non-Windows users to import/export data from TileShop project files and edit them with external tools.

Note: The previous TileShop for WinForms project has been abandoned. It included some features that are not yet available and designs that have been obsoleted.

Help Wanted
* UI Designer/Themer - The WPF XAML needs tidied so that the project can be themed. Requires the Designer to compile the project (with guidance) on their own computer to design and test.
* Icon Designer - TileShop is still missing icons for several bits of functionality. Prefer vector icons to match the existing ones which are taking from MahApps.Metro.IconPacks.
* Unsupported Graphic Examples - Need a larger range of unsupported or complex graphics to test with. All should be supportable via codecs written in C#/.NET, but XML codecs need a rewrite to support scattered graphics.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:40:13 am by Klarth »

Risae

• View Profile
Re: TileShop and ImageMagitek (v0.90 preview)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 06:19:26 am »
Hi Klarth,

pretty cool program!
I am currently working on the translation of a PS2 game and i was able to view the games font file.
The game uses a very strange font file, heres what it looked like using the PSX 4bpp:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

But it looks like it can't display it perfectly.
I believe the file is neither TIM2 nor a normal font file.
The only program i was able to previously use to display the font okay-ish was Tile Molester Mod with the settings

Code: [Select]
###### 2bpp ######

Settings JPN:

Codec: 2bpp linear, reverse order
Mode: 2 dimensional
Stretch: Columns 48, Rows 54

Settings ENG:

Codec: 2bpp linear, reverse order
Stretch: Columns 64, Rows 118

###### 4bpp ######

Settings JPN:

Codec: 4bpp linear, reverse order
Stretch: Columns 24, Rows 42

Settings ENG:

Codec: 4bpp linear, reverse order
Stretch: Columns 32, Rows 80

Here is what it looks like in Tile Molester:

Spoiler:

Do you think you could take a look at that font file?
It might be one of those exotic images that no Tile Viewer can display perfectly as of now.

A bug i noticed while testing:
If i go over a certain amount of "arranger height in pixels" the screen suddenly only displayed black:

Spoiler:

Also, do you plan to support TIM2 image files?

Klarth

• View Profile
Re: TileShop and ImageMagitek (v0.90 preview)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 06:47:18 am »
> Do you think you could take a look at that font file?

Sure. PM, email, or ping me on RHDN's Discord. If possible, please also include an in-game screenshot of the font's appearance.

> If i go over a certain amount of "arranger height in pixels" the screen suddenly only displayed black

That's intended behavior (at the moment) if rendering an element takes you past the end of the file. It beats immediately crashing.

> Also, do you plan to support TIM2 image files?

I haven't looked at TIM2, so I'm not sure what is necessary to support them. I would first have to gather docs and a comprehensive set of sample images.

Klarth

• View Profile
Re: TileShop and ImageMagitek (v0.93 preview)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 06:38:55 am »
TileShop v0.95 preview has been released

Changes are most noticeably UI/UX-related with a Dark Theme and restyled controls. More work to be done there.

There are some feature additions as listed on the release page. The bulk of the work since last release has been in refactoring code to support multiple opened projects and in anticipation of more advanced features (external code-based codecs and external plugins).

Help Wanted

I am looking for someone with good knowledge of some games with extensively documented, uncompressed graphics/palettes outside of SNES (particularly NES/GBA) so I can have enough reference material for when I implement better support for those systems. The ideal candidate is someone who is actively working on such a game, are in the process of doing/planning significant graphics work, and can work with/test TileShop as new features are developed.

Codecs

I am also looking for opinions on changing the codec system. The XML-based codec system has served well so far, but is in need of changes. In particular, the shortcomings are apparent when the graphics "flow" across many subtiles (like this FF5 font which TileShop can currently handle as 2 separate 8x12 tiles. The worst scenario is if graphics don't flow at all. That scenario is currently not supported except with internal C# codecs.

The first option is my original plan: double down on XML codecs, implement subtiles, and the ability to explicitly remap pixels. This is complicated for both myself to design/code and for the end-user to learn/use. I don't think there will be much value here for the time investment. The biggest benefit of the existing codec system has been that tiles can resize to anything, but subtiles and explicit remaps are a fixed-sized tile feature.

The second option is to not improve the XML codec spec and force users to implement support via external C# codecs once they are designed and available.

The third option is to implement a codec capable of reading Feidian PHP files (or a similar, proprietary version) to deal with peskier, fixed-size tiles.