News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Merging ips file with a ROM?  (Read 1018 times)

xorxfon

• View Profile
Merging ips file with a ROM?
« on: March 29, 2020, 02:18:30 pm »
Is there a way to merge an ips file with a ROM and end up with one file to deal with instead of have two files named the same with different file extensions, or is that not legal?

nattou

• View Profile
Re: Merging ips file with a ROM?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 07:00:07 am »
Is there a way to merge an ips file with a ROM and end up with one file to deal with instead of have two files named the same with different file extensions, or is that not legal?

TL;DR: distributing IPS files rather than ROM files (merged or otherwise) involves comparatively little legal risk. No one, or else almost no one, gets "busted" or sued for distributing patch files, whereas this clearly hasn't been the case for ROM files.

If you've a legal right to the ROM file, you've a legal right to the merged file, so that's fine to deal with on your own private machine.

The problem is distributing that ROM file - if you're distributing a ROM file (whether or not it's modified by an IPS), you're distributing it illegally (with a very few exceptions). This, too, is pretty much okay to do privately, as long as you understand and take responsibility for whatever legal, moral, ethical issues, and any potential consequences.

It is generally understood that distributing the patches on their own is not as legally encumbered as distributing a ROM file. The truth is probably that some patches are in more legal doubt than others (some large ones for instance almost certainly include portions of the original code), but even with these patches, the possible legal repercussions are believed to be low, since if you distribute a patch to a ROM instead of an actual ROM, you are not (directly) affecting any business's bottom line: that is, they still have to already possess the game's ROM file in the first place.

So yeah: basically it'd be a lot easier, at least for the consumers of patches, to pass ROM files around instead of patches. But by only agreeing to host or distribute patches, the website and/or patch authors do not assume unnecessary legal risk or liability.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 07:15:29 am »
I don't quite understand the question. When you apply the ips file with a patching program, its changes become part of the ROM you apply it to. You can delete the patch after you apply it and just keep your patched ROM. The ips file and ROM may have unrelated file names, if you prefer.

The purpose of the patching process is to avoid exchanging copyrighted material, with the benefit of keeping the amount of data exchanged small.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 07:46:22 am »
use Lunar IPS tool or similar to merge. I won't tell on you  :-X
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 03:19:50 pm »
I am similarly at a loss and started thinking about some of the steganography approaches. In that case I guess you could do a copy cat or copy /b between the two files and stick the IPS at the end, possibly with a third file that you can search for that is unlikely to come up in the ROM (that way you have the start of the IPS and hopefully the EOF to end it or just end of the ROM.

No existing emulator or patcher will likely support it though (and some systems might have issues if they do size detection of ROMs, though I would expect that to be the exception) and it solves very few problems*, especially in the modern world where anything likely to be patched with IPS can just as easily have a whole second ROM made for it and take up no space.

*it might help with the "ew what is this file_id.diz and .nfo file I will just delete it" set but I am not inclined to care much about them.