News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

About the last picture, a stylistic question: What color do you like for the Merman?

Marine Blue (obviously, marine style)
1 (50%)
Standard Blue (Seems natural on a dark stage)
0 (0%)
Green (gives it a putrid look)
1 (50%)
Gray (Shark style)
0 (0%)
Red (Magikarp style!)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: April 02, 2020, 04:59:19 pm

Author Topic: Evil Dead: Ash lives!  (Read 3619 times)

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
Evil Dead: Ash lives!
« on: March 26, 2020, 11:51:54 pm »
Working hard on my latest hack: My personal tribute to Bruce Campbell and the Evil Dead series. The plot? Simple: Ash's daughter is kidnapped by the Necronomicon itself, and now, he must do what he does best to save her: kill deadites!

The changes made to the original game (Wanpaku Graffiti) affect:

·Title Screen

·Intro

·First three levels (100%)

The idea is to make the game feel like something completely original and not just a simple hack. Practically everything will be replaced, or modified (with special emphasis on maintaining the humorous style, but less cutie).

How's it looking so far?

March 31, 2020, 04:49:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:49:44 pm by CryinOnion »

altoiddealer

• View Profile
Re: Evil Dead: Ash lives!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 10:08:21 am »
Surprised no one else has commented - I think this looks like a great project.

I'm not familiar with the source game but I am with the source material, and everything looks very well done.

Keep up the good work!  Looks like you are onto something here.

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 11:22:14 am »
 I love Splatterhouse! And I love Ash! Any hack combining great things is always welcome.  :thumbsup: Is this the first hack of wanpakku? I don't remember seeing another. BTW if you are a fan of Evil Dead, have you played the Evil Dead hack of Zelda 2 yet? It's definitely worth a look.  ;D
Insert "Witty Text" here.

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 09:54:13 am »
Thanks for your support! Source game is the 2nd installment on Splatter House series, and a pseudo-prequel. Has a solid gameplay, and tons of horror/pop culture references so, as a mixture of horror and comedy, it's a great start for a Evil Dead game. The only problem is that it seems that the developers were obsessed in making everything too cute: Imagine the Chestburster scene in the first Alien movie... with "kawaii" eyes XD, yes, that's what I'm talking about. That's why I'm replacing 90% of the sprites, and fixing the other 10% to make them funny, and scary at the same time.

Yes, it's the first Wanpaku hack (and it's not strange, because the way the sprites work, makes it more complicated than other hacks I worked on)... and yes, I played Zelda hack XD. Adding Bruce Campbell to a game makes it instantly better!

I hope to finish the project by the end of this month, I'll appreciate your support with new updates in this post.... And remember, shop smart, shop S-Mart!

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 10:42:12 am »
This is a great idea. And I can't wait to see the final results.

Pleiades7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 11:53:12 am »
Great so far.

But replace the hammer house of horror classic movie monsters (e.g. Frankenstein) with monsters from the movies...like a demonic old woman (if you can get the sprite) or Evil Ash...stuff like that.

Also, make it bloody.... include quotes "Hail to the king" and some cursing where appropriate. My 2 cents.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 06:03:29 pm »
You gotta send these pics to Bruce Campbell on his Twitter account, I'm sure he'll love it. The changes are great and I can't wait to play this when it's released. :D 

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 02:43:32 pm »
Of course there's a demonic old woman!XD, and I draw my own sprites. A little bit of them:

Also as a movie lover I have left many references to classics and not only that: In the game, many are veiled to avoid copyright infringement I supose and now, well, are non-veiled XD.

If I finally don't include more references to the movies (for which I apologize in advance), it will be to maintain "coherence" of what I'm doing, because I see the hack more as a continuation of the official line (the old Ash from the TV series) than a mix of the movies. Trust me by now.

P.S. Show my work to the Bruce himself!? I'm not worthy of it!

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 01:37:34 pm »
Thanks for your support! Source game is the 2nd installment on Splatter House series, and a pseudo-prequel. Has a solid gameplay, and tons of horror/pop culture references so, as a mixture of horror and comedy, it's a great start for a Evil Dead game. The only problem is that it seems that the developers were obsessed in making everything too cute: Imagine the Chestburster scene in the first Alien movie... with "kawaii" eyes XD, yes, that's what I'm talking about. That's why I'm replacing 90% of the sprites, and fixing the other 10% to make them funny, and scary at the same time.

Yes, it's the first Wanpaku hack (and it's not strange, because the way the sprites work, makes it more complicated than other hacks I worked on)... and yes, I played Zelda hack XD. Adding Bruce Campbell to a game makes it instantly better!

I hope to finish the project by the end of this month, I'll appreciate your support with new updates in this post.... And remember, shop smart, shop S-Mart!

LMAO! Personally I really liked Army of Darkness.  :thumbsup: There are a few OpenBOR games out there referencing Evil Dead as well. Keep it up man!  :laugh:

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 03:43:33 am »
AoD was the definitive turn of this saga into comedy. It was a shame that his profits were modest, cause director had big plans for the sequel (in a future "Mad Max" style). Still, my favorite is Evil Dead II, because it has a unique balance between comedy and horror. If you haven't done it yet, check out his TV sequel, "Ash vs. Evil Dead", it's outstanding.

Concerning video games, it's weird that no company showed interest in licensing the franchise for consoles when they were at the zenith of their popularity (where was LJN then? XD). That's what I want to fix with my hack.

A picture better than a thousand words: Tomorrow night I'll share some screenshots of the latest progress. Luckily, levels 5 and 6 are not giving me much work, which will allow me to catch my breath for level 7, which is intriqued as hell!

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 02:50:19 pm »
 I believe I saw that it was on Netflix. I'll have to check it out. Keep up the great work man. LJN was just the start of a long line of 'Pac n Sac Dave' Hacks that I played. lol. I agree, they should have been around during the height of the NES era.  :thumbsup:

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 06:52:47 pm »
Hi!

As promised, here are some pics of the project's progress ;D:

Here she is, the diabolical old woman

And here's a example of how I work to replace a sprite

I've finished this right now. When I was 100% sure it was a variation of the normal animation (with a bucket) it was a piece of cake. Anyway, the most important thing ever, is to understand how a sprite works before replacing it.

A hint of the new level 4 boss. Could it be a reference to the famous "Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash" crossover? :happy:

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 01:16:56 pm »
 Keep it up man! Can't wait to play it.  :thumbsup:

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 06:01:52 pm »
Taking a little break before giving the final push to the project.

Yesterday I remembered that although the animated gifs I created can't be seen properly here, I can share the Twitter links so you can have a look:

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1225904001146904576?s=20

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1230584650864746503?s=20

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1243386409454452741?s=20

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1245699463873810432?s=20

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1250225594715058177?s=20

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1251628531408347136?s=20

On the other hand, I have also published some of my NES covers for the hacks I have created (and other people's). Take a look at them. If you like them I accept requests.

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 11:12:20 am »
Looks amazing!  I think the book rotation looks great.

Metal64

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 04:06:15 pm »
Are you going to edit the levels?

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 02:28:50 pm »
Nope. Even though I have improved my skills with practice, I still have a lot to learn.

I've spent the last 4 months on this project, and even though I know there is room for improvement, I will publish it in 24-48 hours. Who knows, maybe in version 1.1, after a looong break to focus on creating content for my youtube channel. I also have some projects in mind. One of them smells like a classic ( and also a lot of hours of effort), and the others are more modest.

April 23, 2020, 07:25:25 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And here's finally, my personal tribute to Bruce Campbell and the Evil Dead franchise:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5087/

I created some covers for the game, for those of you who use a game launcher or NES Classic with Hackchi. Here's the link:

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1253463499541565441?s=20

Thanks for your support and suggestions. I hope you enjoy it! :beer:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:25:25 pm by CryinOnion »