News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with editing text in genesis games  (Read 1506 times)

Pacsonic

• View Profile
Help with editing text in genesis games
« on: March 26, 2020, 05:19:53 pm »
I'm working on a My Hero Academia themed Streets of Rage Rom Hack but I don't know how to change the text and voice clips and I can't find anywhere that says how. Does anyone know how to do this?

eskayelle

• NBA Jam 2Kxx / TMNT of Rage / Pong de las TMNT Dev
    • View Profile
Re: Help with editing text in genesis games
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 10:39:34 am »
Hey, Pacsonic.  Much of the text in SoR2 is ASCII and can be found via a search in the rom.  The titles in the credits appear to be compressed images.  I haven't really tried to locate them, but running tracelogs and looking for LEA functions might get you there.

The names in the player select screens are sprite tiles, four per letter.  Modifying the bytes in a few offsets will help revise these.

For sounds, try downloading gsaurus' MDV utility.  It's part of his Pancakes of Rage suite.  There's a guide in it that has all the banks and offsets for voice clips.

If you're looking at SoR1, not sure I can be of help there.  Never played it.

peixemacaco

• 70 65 69 78 65 6d 61 63 61 63 6f
    • View Profile
    • Old peixemacaco site found
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 01:45:02 pm »
If you're looking at SoR1, not sure I can be of help there.  Never played it.

This surprises me, eskayelle.
Streets of Rage 1 deserves a play from you...

And PacSonic, success... This utility, MDV, is really a great tool, I'd used in a hack that I didn't published "Ruas de Furia"

Nelson
Super Monaco GP... It garnered an at-the-time unprecedented 10–10–9–9 rating from Electronic Gaming Monthly's Review and wasn`t a F Indy title.

eskayelle

• NBA Jam 2Kxx / TMNT of Rage / Pong de las TMNT Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 01:54:21 pm »
Ha, indeed!  You're very likely right.  I grew up an Atari 2600/NES/SNES kid, so I didn't get my hands on Genesis games till college.  Being a TMNT buff, one of the first games I checked out was Hyperstone Heist.  I do love a good beat-em-up...

peixemacaco

• 70 65 69 78 65 6d 61 63 61 63 6f
    • View Profile
    • Old peixemacaco site found
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 01:58:49 pm »
Yes, you'll be amazed with the music, the whole game feel and with....everything

Nelson
Super Monaco GP... It garnered an at-the-time unprecedented 10–10–9–9 rating from Electronic Gaming Monthly's Review and wasn`t a F Indy title.