News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Cross platform Nes emu?  (Read 1518 times)

ggallin

• View Profile
Cross platform Nes emu?
« on: March 22, 2020, 02:43:39 pm »
Hi everyone, i hope this place are correct for my question.

Exist some portable nes emulator who can run on mac and windows?

If the answer is no, can you recommend me the best portable nes emus for both systems?

Thanks!

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: Cross platform Nes emu?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 04:19:53 pm »
What do you mean the best? I use nestopia, fceux and mednafen. Nestopia can run on both I guess
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

ggallin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 04:32:54 pm »
Thanks Cyneprepou4uk I mean a portable and lowlight emulator, my idea is create a rar archive with the romhack and the emulator to private send for friends betatesters of my romhack for testing in the most easily way possible.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 05:29:55 pm »
I'm not really sure why you'd send an emulator with it, seeing as they'd need a patcher to play a romhack anyway and they could just download what they need while they're at it.  Unless you're distributing roms. :o

Anyway.  The ideal target for "just put it in and run it" is Mesen by far, and it's also the best target for development/most accurate NES emu.  Another good point about bundling it with stuff is that it auto-updates.  The worst part is that there is only a Windows binary, however it exists as a RetroArch core that works just as well but last I checked there were issues with it working on Mac (this was also quite a while ago).  Nestopia would be an alright replacement if the mapper is in there, but the binary for that is also rather old as Nestopia UE is the continuation of it.  Keep in mind that Mac has OpenEmu with both Nestopia and FCEU cores out of the box; it's easier to use but RetroArch is still there.  Sure there's Mednafen, but not having a GUI is usually a good way to get first-timers confused no matter how easy to use it is.

One thing though: do not make a romhack with the officially released FCEUX found on their website in mind as it is four years old, use devbuilds compiled elsewhere instead.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:40:09 pm by Chronosplit »

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 09:52:47 pm »
Trough the line there is also puNES, along with MESEN, which I don't recommend to send packages like that because it is not "simple enough". But if you are in such usability rush, I would never ditch FCEUX as it is the easiest one to put together, unless it is a well-known problematic game (I have a list of some, just in case). ;)

ggallin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 09:14:47 am »
Trough the line there is also puNES, along with MESEN, which I don't recommend to send packages like that because it is not "simple enough". But if you are in such usability rush, I would never ditch FCEUX as it is the easiest one to put together, unless it is a well-known problematic game (I have a list of some, just in case). ;)

I'm not really sure why you'd send an emulator with it, seeing as they'd need a patcher to play a romhack anyway and they could just download what they need while they're at it.  Unless you're distributing roms. :o

Anyway.  The ideal target for "just put it in and run it" is Mesen by far, and it's also the best target for development/most accurate NES emu.  Another good point about bundling it with stuff is that it auto-updates.  The worst part is that there is only a Windows binary, however it exists as a RetroArch core that works just as well but last I checked there were issues with it working on Mac (this was also quite a while ago).  Nestopia would be an alright replacement if the mapper is in there, but the binary for that is also rather old as Nestopia UE is the continuation of it.  Keep in mind that Mac has OpenEmu with both Nestopia and FCEU cores out of the box; it's easier to use but RetroArch is still there.  Sure there's Mednafen, but not having a GUI is usually a good way to get first-timers confused no matter how easy to use it is.

One thing though: do not make a romhack with the officially released FCEUX found on their website in mind as it is four years old, use devbuilds compiled elsewhere instead.

hi thanks for the data, the problem is the people i send the rom hack not are gamers and not have emulation experience, so my idea is create a lightweight zip file with the romhack and the emulator with a simple txt instructions, for that reason i search a nes emu portable that runs on mac and windows, but i think this is imposible so i create a zip with the rom and two folders: one with nestopia mac and other with nestopia ue for windows.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 09:27:01 am »
the problem is the people i send the rom hack not are gamers and not have emulation experience
If they're not gamers, why would you expect them to be any good at beta-testing your hack..?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ggallin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 06:43:04 pm »
Hi because the content of the rom i want to test have more relation with design,  aesthetics and translates... If anyone want to test the hack just let me know and i will send the patch of the original game (Krazy Kreatures)... Thanks for the answers!