News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Translation J to E] Looking for help with an SNES translation  (Read 4649 times)

svambo

• View Profile
Hello everybody,

I need help with the translation of an SNES game. The hacking part is finished but I need someone to help me translate the level-intro texts. There are 20 texts like this:

The game is a casual game - nothing big and fancy, just a little fun project.
If you want to help feel free to contact me.  :thumbsup:

Greetings
Svambo

nattou

• View Profile
Re: [Translation J to E] Looking for help with an SNES translation
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 10:42:11 am »
It mostly looks like something I could handle, though I'd probably want to find a manual for it to provide additional context.

The first line pictured makes zero sense to me, though. It seems to start with complete gibberish, and then sort of merge into more "normal" Japanese. The first couple of words at the top in particular - まにををか isn't something you'd normally see written in Japanese - is it perhaps from a name-selection screen where things were just arbitrarily typed in? Or a password code or something? The を character doesn't appear within words in modern Japanese, and even in old Japanese I don't know that you'd find it doubled like that, and the rest of the text doesn't support any idea that it might be the result of "older Japanese text" anyway (which in any case is exceedingly rare to encounter today).

What's the game in question?

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 12:53:59 pm »
What's the game in question?
Is that... could it be?

It's Olivia's Mystery! :D

I randomly stumbled upon that game some time ago. All the Kanji just made my brain give up, so I have no idea what it's all about, who Olivia is, or why the masked guy is climbing buildings, riding trains, and visiting nuclear power plants to find her. It's basically just a series of jigsaw puzzles like the minigames in the Banjo-Kazooie series. I'm guessing the pictures have something to do with the story.

Good luck to you, svambo. :)
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqSB4xw29TTKlia5E0NYtQ

nattou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 04:24:19 pm »
The best approximation I can give of the sample text without broader context is something like (I'm skipping the first sentence because it's half of a complete thought, and too difficult to translate without the rest of the sentence and broader context):

..However, what's more interesting is the question of whether this incident was in the end merely a simple accident, or whether it might have been the deliberate act to further the aims of some nefarious person.

That was in the summer time.

Then there was an explosion at the Waterworks Bureau building. The building crumbled into ruin, and the mains pipe was destroyed as well, causing the amassed water to burst forth from the ruins. Adding to the calamity, the military rescue team's dispatched vehicles were engulfed in the waters as well. And finally, the ultimate blow saw even the valiant rescue team watching dumbfounded as their own building became submerged in the flood.

Some license taken to make the wording flow, and maintain drama.

And here's the transcribed Japanese text:

まにををか だかえをさ  れこれとかんが[/approx end of gibberish - perhaps translated random data or code?]えるのは、まだおきていないことについて心配するのとおなじくらい意味のないことだともいう。
しかし、気になるのはあの事件は結局、ただのじこだったのかそれとも何者かがわざとやった事だったのかということだ。
それは、なつのことだった。

ある日、水道局のビルで爆発があった。局のビルはくずれ、給水パイプもだめになった。ためてあった水がどっとながれでてしまい、まずいことに軍のレスキューチームの車も水のなかへしずんでしまった。
あまりのことに、さすがのレスキューチームも、ただぼうぜんと水につかった自分たちのビルを見ているしまつであった。

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 01:39:44 pm »
When Polinym posted the game name, I looked at a video of it. Compared to it, that first row in svambo's image was corrupted.
すぎさってしまったことをあれこれとかんが
All the other text seemed to match.

svambo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 06:27:24 pm »
Yes, the game is Olivia's Mystery - I was bored one weekend and hacked around in it for fun.
You're right - something went wrong with the first line of text ... it should have been like this:

Thank you very much for the translation nattou  :thumbsup:

nattou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 08:42:53 am »
Thanks for the fixed line guys. The first sentence is a little more challenging, and might still benefit from further context since it seems pretty clearly to be a follow-on to something, but my attempt would be:

"It could also be said that scrutinizing past calamities* isn't the same thing as anguishing over things that have not yet occurred. [However, what's more interesting is the question of...]"

*calamaties isn't present in the text, just "things that have come to pass", but there's an implication that those things are unpleasant, and given the context we do have I think using "calamities" could be permitted.

svambo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 10:47:02 am »
Well, this is the first text in the game so there is no real context in that moment.

If you want to get an idea try this patch  ;)

Perhaps things get clearer when the story continues. I uploaded the other textblocks of the game here...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:22:23 pm by svambo »

nattou

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 01:22:18 pm »
For anyone who's curious, here's a link to the ongoing translation work on Google Drive for this game (there are only ~20 screens to be translated). The initial translation given here has been significantly reworked in light of better understandings that came after; you can see the latest version at that link.