News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mario Mania (The Best SMB3 Hack you'll ever play) COMING SOON!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 10736 times)

ActionGamer

• View Profile
Dear Fans of Super Mario Bros. 3,

My name is ActionGamer, and I'm here to present to you a new SMB3 hack that pays homage to Mario games new and old while still keeping that same Mario feel. It's called "Mario Mania". Which is basically Sonic Mania but for Mario games, and if it were on NES.

Features (so far):
  • New graphics for levels and enemies from other Mario games and some original graphics too.
  • New levels from other Mario games rebuilt into SMB3, and some other games as well.
  • New worlds from other Mario games and some new worlds too.
  • New music from other Mario games new and old. (Some songs were composed by JaSp, and some were composed by me thanks to JaSp's smb3 music midi inserter).
  • New Power Up called Cape Mario (Flying lasts longer than Raccoon Mario)
  • Item Slot from Super Mario World.
  • Animated blocks with 16 frames of animation
  • Save Feature
  • New enemies including: Birdo, Shy Guys (cosmetic only), Pidgit (who throws bombs now), Kyororo (cosmetic only), and so much more.
  • The ability to re-enter past levels in the world your in.
  • You can get random power-ups at the end of some levels.
  • A Recreation of Star Road from SMW for World 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • New Poison Mushroom (replacing the star)
  • 100 coins equal INVINCIBILITY
  • New secrets in some of the world maps
  • UNLIMITED LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Planned Features:
  • The name of each world on the bottom HUD where the level cards would normally be.
  • Tanooki Fire Mario (instead of the blue shell mario).

Features that are no longer in the hack:
  • Straight Fireballs and Ninja Mario (In order for the save feature to work I had to omit those features, I'm very sorry).
  • Invisible Mario.

Screenshots:

Title Screen:

Level 1-2

World 4: Mushroom Kingdom

STAR ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

World 2: Birabuto Kingdom

(More info and screenshots coming soon).

Also, if anyone would love to help me work on this hack to get the planned features for this hack in there, just message me on the forum.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:09:40 pm by ActionGamer »

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Looks like an ambitious project. Note that your screenshots don't work. Bad link?

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
golden boy over here uploaded the screenshots to scratchpad

that is not what it is for

use imgur or some other sort of image host that allows hotlinking

ActionGamer

• View Profile
I fixed the screenshots

WebSlinger

• View Profile
Can ya add the bouncy ball power-up from Mario Land and Bunny hat from ML2? I've always loved those power-ups. Also mario 3's Star Man only lasts nearly 8 seconds... Such a rip-off... I like how long it lasts in mario 1 and 4 (World)

ActionGamer

• View Profile
I can’t do the first two but I can make the star last longer

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
I like how long it lasts in mario 1 and 4 (World)
Super Mario World isn't really "Mario 4", so technically there is no "Mario 4", at least not yet. The subtitle "Super Mario Bros. 4" was only put on the Japanese box art, etc. to get the game to sell more copies in Japan. If Super Mario World should be considered Super Mario Bros. 4, Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World 2) should be considered Super Mario Bros. 5!

I'm sorry that's kind of off-topic here, but I just wanted to make that point.

Vanya

• View Profile
It was also called Super Mario Bros. 4 in lots of beta screenshots.
So despite ultimately being removed from the game, it was officially considered and it is the 4th mainline SMB game to be released. (That is ignoring the GB games which are all side stories at best.)

Now, I agree there technically isn't an SMB4, it might as well be.
However, most people will understand SMW to essentially be SMB4 the same way A Link to the Past is understood to be Zelda 3 despite it never being referred to that way in-game.

Sorry to extend the off topic-ness.

Back on topic...
I love the idea of a Mario Mania.
Eventually, you might want to look into adding in some of the powerups from the other games.
I think that will be a bigger draw to this hack than just having stages from various Mario games alone.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing this project develop.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
This looks really cool, can't wait to see more. :thumbsup:

Redd

• View Profile
Super Mario World isn't really "Mario 4", so technically there is no "Mario 4", at least not yet. The subtitle "Super Mario Bros. 4" was only put on the Japanese box art, etc. to get the game to sell more copies in Japan. If Super Mario World should be considered Super Mario Bros. 4, Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World 2) should be considered Super Mario Bros. 5!

I'm sorry that's kind of off-topic here, but I just wanted to make that point.
Sorry but I don't agree. SMW is SMB4 since it was officially given that name in Japan. You know, the country where it was made. Saying that this would make Yoshi's Island SMB5 just because it's called SMW2 in English is utter nonsense, as that was nothing more than a title NoA gave it. The original titles used in the country of origin take precedence over localizations' titles, as they better reflect the devs' intentions. If YI was meant to be SMB5, they would have called it that in Japan.

If a random country like Brazil had retitled SMB3 something like "Super Mario Adventure", would you say that disqualifies it from being SMB3? If China had retitled Super Mario Land "Super Mario Bros. 4", would you say that makes it a real SMB4? I bet you wouldn't. It's the same principle as with Final Fantasy IV/II and FFVI/III.

Besides, the logic behind your comparison is questionable at best. Even if you consider YI to be SMW2 per the English title, that doesn't make it SMB5 anymore than Wario Land 2 is Super Mario Land 4, or WL4 is SML6.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:56:50 pm by Redd »

Vanya

• View Profile
No, his logic is sound if you assume the SMW2 title.
It's sort of like the transitive law, in essence. If A=B and B=C then A=C.
Only in this case it's: if A = B and A+1 = C then C = B+1.
Thus if you assume SMW = SMB4 and SMW2 = YI then logically YI = SMB5.

The problem here is that assumption at the start.

Personally, I agree that the Japanese versions of things are generally the closest to the original intent of the creators.
Sometimes, though, the creators are the ones that ask for things to be changed during localization.
However, to the best of my knowledge, I don't think the SMW2 title in the US is a case of the creators asking for something to be changed in localization.

This is really one of those agree to disagree things in the end.
So let's just move along back on topic, no?

Mario's face on the title screen looks a little off, I just noticed.
Looks like his sideburns were shaved off and his eyes look wierd.
Could use a little work.
It's based on All-Stars bonus room graphics?

Googie

• View Profile
There's an old SMB3 hack called "Bio World" it's a dead hack now, Bio was the author. Anyways, he added this power up and it was really cool to use it in SMB3. If you ever want the hack lemme know and I can give it to you. :) 

ActionGamer

• View Profile
There's an old SMB3 hack called "Bio World" it's a dead hack now, Bio was the author. Anyways, he added this power up and it was really cool to use it in SMB3. If you ever want the hack lemme know and I can give it to you. :)

Okay give it to me

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
Okay give it to me

I, too, am interested in this hack. May I have a patch of it in .ips format?
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

Googie

• View Profile
werewolfslayr925: Sure, I can hook you up. Get the IPS patch at the following link.

https://uploadfiles.io/48ghaxe8

I used the PRG 0 version of the SMB3 ROM, enjoy. 

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Video of the actual powerup, if anyone wants it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OtWHUn2S6U
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ActionGamer

• View Profile
I, too, am interested in this hack. May I have a patch of it in .ips format?

sure

KevvyLava

• View Profile
This looks pretty awesome already. Would you consider switching the Koopa Troopas back to the SMB3 style? I know I'm just some random guy on here, and maybe people disagree with me on this, but I never liked when people tried to cram SNES sprites into NES. It always just ends up looking stale.

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
Would you consider switching the Koopa Troopas back to the SMB3 style? I know I'm just some random guy on here, and maybe people disagree with me on this, but I never liked when people tried to cram SNES sprites into NES. It always just ends up looking stale.

I second this, actually. SNES sprites are nice, but look weird on the NES.
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
The blue shell hack is pretty jank, but a new Mario 3 is always welcome!
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds