News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Robot Wars GC English translation- nearly done!  (Read 986 times)

Oppai Missile

• View Profile
Super Robot Wars GC English translation- nearly done!
« on: January 27, 2020, 07:17:24 pm »
Note: this is the same project as the one announced by Dashman in this topic from several years ago. I thought about just resurrecting that topic, but it's really old by now and Dashman is no longer around to add new information to the opening post, so I figured it would be better to start a new topic myself. Hopefully this is okay.

For context: this project died a few years ago, which I suppose was mostly my fault as I was the story/dialogue translator and I sort of abandoned everything due to burnout and other life issues. By late 2018 I was fine though, and decided to try to bring the project back to life. Unfortunately I was unable to gather the old team, as Dashman didn't show up to my threads on /m/ (and even his profile on this forum says he hasn't logged in in years, so I don't know what he's up to), and the other members could only help intermittently. I continued on my own for a bit, not sure of what to do, until I was joined by Arc Impulse, or AI for short. He took over the hacking/programming side of the project and just tore into it, solving pretty much every issue we had and bringing this project to a whole new level of professional polish. Most importantly, he made it possible for us to abandon the custom texture loading through Dolphin method that we had been using; now the entire translation can be contained in a patch, and even works on real hardware, as AI tested the modified game on a Wii and it worked. He implemented the menu translations and other assorted text, while I completed the dialogue/story translation and then moved on to the character and robot library (character library is now complete, robot library still has a ways to go).

The project seems pretty close to completion now, so we thought it might be good to announce it here and get the word out a bit. Below is a video showing what the translation looks like now- it's similar to the video posted on Dashman's old topic, but this one shows the translation implemented entirely through game hacking, without loading external textures through the emulator.

Video here: https://youtu.be/l2-dm70SL1w

I think AI might drop in later with screenshots of his latest progress.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Arc_Impulse

• Beep boop
    • View Profile
Re: Super Robot Wars GC English translation- nearly done!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 12:18:39 pm »
Heyo folks! Arc/AI here, and I've been the one handling a bunch of the tech related stuff since the project came back. I've been doing a bit of everything, like fixing up some of the existing tools, doing some assembly stuff to help smooth out issues, and recreating and inserting every single image so the game isn't reliant on Dolphin to run (though this was still thanks to Dashman's tools, I was just the one crazy enough to dive into it at the time).

First of all, to accompany the video, here are a few general screenshots of the game:

At the moment I'm currently going through the menus and making adjustments, since the font we've switched to is a lot smaller then the original, meaning that the majority of the stats, funds, etc that were right-aligned are now all over the place. As I'm doing that, I'm also taking the time to expand/fix some other things to fit the English text, since there's more space to play with. Here's some comparisons of the more recent menus I've taken care of on that front:

If anyone has any questions or anything on the project, fire away, and we can see what we can answer for you!

DragonSpikeXIII

• View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 03:30:54 pm »
Just dropping by to wish you guys the best of luck in this new chapter of your project. :woot!:

I used to follow your progress on /m/ way back in 2014, and Dashman played a crucial part in bringing my own project back to life. In fact he used his experience with your project to help me and my team edit our game. Like I said to one your team members, we last spoke in late 2016 where he said he was in the process of moving and that he'd be back soon. And that was it.

I hope your project can find the support it needs so you can reach the finish line.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 03:46:11 pm »
Hey that looks pretty impressive. Though I noticed that the width of the cursor on the name screen is a bit wonky with the thinner font. I suppose you could cut it in half or do some custom programming solution. Good luck!

Raph_friend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 05:07:43 pm »
Jesus, i can't believe it!

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 08:37:41 pm »
Excellent news!  Wish you the best of the best for the sake of the completion for this amazing project :thumbsup:

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 08:44:36 pm »
Congratulations! Looks like you've done an outstanding job of it! I'll be sure to give it a go when it's ready.

Oppai Missile

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 03:31:19 am »
Looks like AI's post popped into existence just below mine at the top, after others had already replied. I guess it had to be approved. Anyway, look to him for any technical questions or advice, I just translate.

Here are some random screenshots I took while I was going through the game, just to show some stuff that's beyond the first mission.

And here's a gallery with some entries from the character and robot database (they're a bit too big to insert in the post): https://imgur.com/a/ks2qKEG
These database entries are not written within the context of the game, instead containing raw information from the original series the character or robot is from. They also tend to totally spoil the series in question without a care.
The character database is complete as I mentioned above, the robot database is just about one third done at this point.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 03:55:35 am »
Note: this is the same project as the one announced by Dashman in this topic from several years ago. I thought about just resurrecting that topic, but it's really old by now and Dashman is no longer around to add new information to the opening post, so I figured it would be better to start a new topic myself. Hopefully this is okay.

For context: this project died a few years ago, which I suppose was mostly my fault as I was the story/dialogue translator and I sort of abandoned everything due to burnout and other life issues. By late 2018 I was fine though, and decided to try to bring the project back to life. Unfortunately I was unable to gather the old team, as Dashman didn't show up to my threads on /m/ (and even his profile on this forum says he hasn't logged in in years, so I don't know what he's up to), and the other members could only help intermittently. I continued on my own for a bit, not sure of what to do, until I was joined by Arc Impulse, or AI for short. He took over the hacking/programming side of the project and just tore into it, solving pretty much every issue we had and bringing this project to a whole new level of professional polish. Most importantly, he made it possible for us to abandon the custom texture loading through Dolphin method that we had been using; now the entire translation can be contained in a patch, and even works on real hardware, as AI tested the modified game on a Wii and it worked. He implemented the menu translations and other assorted text, while I completed the dialogue/story translation and then moved on to the character and robot library (character library is now complete, robot library still has a ways to go).

The project seems pretty close to completion now, so we thought it might be good to announce it here and get the word out a bit. Below is a video showing what the translation looks like now- it's similar to the video posted on Dashman's old topic, but this one shows the translation implemented entirely through game hacking, without loading external textures through the emulator.

Video here: https://youtu.be/l2-dm70SL1w

I think AI might drop in later with screenshots of his latest progress.
Any feedback is appreciated.
This is beautiful. More games to play!  :thumbsup: