News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: I am wondering if somebody can change NES Music For A Game?  (Read 2909 times)

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
I am wondering if somebody can change NES Music For A Game?
« on: January 26, 2020, 09:04:21 pm »
I am wondering if there is a way anyone can switch out NES Music with other soundtracks or tunes

in the NES game Blaster Master.

I haven't seen a hack do this yet, is there a tool that can do this?

I mean i see people do it all the time for Mega-man hacks. 

I heard Nes games use different sound engines also so maybe somebody can look into changing the music in Blaster Master rom games.

I have thought about a project based on Blaster Master Zero 2 is why for the Nes.

So if some steps could be taken, there may be a possibility of a Zero 2 Demake for the Nes is why.

But until i can edit graphics, i am first of all looking into changing music soundtracks.
Blaster Master Hacker

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: I am wondering if somebody can change NES Music For A Game?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 09:32:08 pm »
With VERY FEW exceptions of some developers recycling the same music engine for several games, music engine for NES games (and therefore their data) are not at all interchangable.  You will not be able to take music from one game and drop it into Blaster Master -- that just ain't gonna happen.

It's possible Sunsoft reused this music engine for other games, but that's iffy.  I suspect Journey to Silius, Gremlins 2, and Hebereke all share a driver -- but even if that's true I'm not sure I'd buy that it's the same driver as Blaster Master.

The best you can probably hope for here would be to figure out how BM stores it's music data and then modify it by hand.

But until i can edit graphics, i am first of all looking into changing music soundtracks.

Editing graphics is about a million times easier than editing music.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 02:33:10 am »
I've seen you create a whole bunch of threads recently, asking about all sorts of things, so instead of making any more, I'd suggest you need to slow down a bit, and do a bit more searching before asking specific questions.

I get that you're interested in ROM hacking all of a sudden, and that's great, but you need to, as the saying goes, "lurk more". A bit of reading the forum and looking at other hacks will answer most of your questions.

If someone could post the required reading list, it'd help (I don't have it to hand). :)

until i can edit graphics, i am first of all looking into changing music soundtracks.

This is revealing. I see that you made a couple of level hacks for Blaster Master, but in all fairness, that isn't really hacking: it's using someone's level editor to make new levels. The very first hacking most people do is graphics editing, because it's the easiest thing in the world.

You download Tile Molester or Tile Layer Pro, open Super Mario Bros, and draw a new hat on Mario's head or something. Boom, you're done.

The next thing most people do is text hacking, which can vary in difficulty. In some cases (editing English games) you can just open it in a hex editor like HxD and write over the existing text (as long as you overwrite it, keeping everything in its place). In other cases, you'll need to learn assembly.

If you REALLY want to get into ROM hacking, ask yourself this question: will I spend hours hacking a game that I couldn't care less about, just because it's a good learning experience? If the answer is yes, you could be a ROM hacker. :)

And to answer the question of the thread, forget about sound/music hacking. I know what I'm doing, and even I wouldn't bother with that mess. ;)

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 04:31:02 am »
I really do want to learn about hacking the music and graphics both but also other things.

I Did download Tile layer pro, and i did try to do something with it.

Also, it seems you are getting a bit upset because i am poking around trying to ask questions also.
If it agitates you i am sorry.. Idk if i am reading you wrong or not.

There are tens of thousands of threads on this site, i can spend all day digging through them as i actually have already, i am just seeing if newer possibilities have opened up yet.

I am fighting to see what i can do with the current skills I have and I am trying to learn more things.
I do have the unusual drive to keep at things in case you are wondering if i don't.

A number of 'Various projects' i return back to later once i have more skills, i cannot tell you what those projects are here. 
Even if i did use a user friendly level editor somebody else made to make level hacks, there aren't too many people working on other certain specific games i have noticed, lack of interest with people or what, i don't know, i am looking into possibility for many different kinds of games not just one series.
  Highly beloved games get tons of user friendly hardware utilities made for them
I understand that.

Thank you anyways though for what you have to tell me i just wanted you to know.
Blaster Master Hacker

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 04:37:46 am »
I wish my girlfriend was interested in romhacking too. I also wish I had a girlfriend  >:D
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 04:50:30 am »
^Lol, .. I can understand that.

My boyfriend is thrilled am trying to hack/change video games.

I gotta learn one thing at a time, i don't mean to put an entire project on the line right away.

Graphic editing,

then music editing etc.
Blaster Master Hacker

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 05:10:41 am »
Don't worry, I'm not annoyed - I'm actually pleased that we have a new member of the community who is keen to learn. I was just suggesting you slow down a little, maybe try to grasp the basics first. Walk before you can run, as it were. :)

I just suggest that you take a NES game with some but not much text, learn how tables work, edit some text, draw stuff in TLP or TM, it'll all become clearer after that. Keep it up! ;)

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 05:19:36 am »
Oh ok, .. Thank you.

:)  I do want to get better at alot of things.

I was worried, i don't want to upset people.
Blaster Master Hacker

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 11:36:30 am »
I really do want to learn about hacking the music and graphics both but also other things.

I Did download Tile layer pro, and i did try to do something with it.

Also, it seems you are getting a bit upset because i am poking around trying to ask questions also.
If it agitates you i am sorry.. Idk if i am reading you wrong or not.

There are tens of thousands of threads on this site, i can spend all day digging through them as i actually have already, i am just seeing if newer possibilities have opened up yet.

I am fighting to see what i can do with the current skills I have and I am trying to learn more things.
I do have the unusual drive to keep at things in case you are wondering if i don't.

A number of 'Various projects' i return back to later once i have more skills, i cannot tell you what those projects are here. 
Even if i did use a user friendly level editor somebody else made to make level hacks, there aren't too many people working on other certain specific games i have noticed, lack of interest with people or what, i don't know, i am looking into possibility for many different kinds of games not just one series.
  Highly beloved games get tons of user friendly hardware utilities made for them
I understand that.

Thank you anyways though for what you have to tell me i just wanted you to know.

I feel like one great way to learn hacking is to go on the datacrystal website and look at the RAM map for something like mario bros 3. Once youve done something like find the address for the lives, put a CPU write breakpoint on it using the FCEUX debugger to find the routine in ROM, then edit the routine (i.e, make it so that dying increases your lives, or getting hit changes you into a frog (or drops your lives by 2)). Part of what makes that fun is if you don't have space to put in your new routine, you can make the space by jumping elsewhere then returning (this might not always work). Keep practicing like this and eventually you might start learning what all the shit on the debugger actually means, and how to follow it, etc. If you didnt have stuff like Datacrystal, there are ways to identify the lives counter address yourself, but I wont get into that.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 10:07:08 pm »
Thank you, i was actually working on a Mario 3 hack, but i halted it for now.

One of the Powerup Ideas was going to be something very unusual, Mario would get A Big Paper looking Sword and a Newspaper looking hat very similar to those bonus Coin Ships with the Logo you see when you unlock them by doing something specific in each mario 3 level.

It can only be described as this pic below: if i was to hack a mario 3 powerup.
Plus the Ability to spin like with the Star powerup.

-----

Blaster Master Hacker

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 06:28:22 am »
I also wish I had a girlfriend  >:D

Man down, man down! :P

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 10:01:42 am »
I wish my girlfriend was interested in romhacking too. I also wish I had a girlfriend  >:D
I hear you dude.

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 07:49:44 pm »
Another easy way to find music data is to load NSF file on the game that you want to test out and use CDL to find the music data. Blue - the byte is data. And try to find that logged data in the ROM file in a HEX Editor. This only works with older FECUX versions such as 2.2.2. For some reason, this does not work with NSF files in version 2.2.3.

Edit: It was working until it got to SVN Build r3386-x86. After that build, it stopped working ever since including GIT Builds Fceux-20200117-x86 & x64 bit.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:36:17 am by Dracula X »

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 09:47:46 pm »
Thanks for your support guys  :)

this does not work with NSF files in version 2.2.3
Indeed. I've reported that issue just now  :police:
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 11:37:04 pm »
One of the Powerup Ideas was going to be something very unusual, Mario would get A Big Paper looking Sword and a Newspaper looking hat very similar to those bonus Coin Ships with the Logo you see when you unlock them by doing something specific in each mario 3 level.
I'm sure it's very clever, but have you seen anything resembling that in an SMB3 romhack before?

Because many, many very smart people have done an awful lot of very difficult things with the SMB3 rom already and if no one has done something like that by now, you're probably a very long way from being able to do it yourself.  This applies to many things – not necessarily everything, but quite possibly to things like hacking music for a game that hasn't been music-hacked before.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 11:16:30 pm »
Indeed. I've reported that issue just now 

Thank you very much! They have fixed the problem for NSF files! The Git file version have been released.

Koopa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 10:48:50 pm »
If you know how to solve a puzzle and how to write notes, changing the music shouldn't be too hard for you.
The music data consist of Instruments, Lengths, Notes, Loops, Jumps...etc just like real music.

In Blaster Master (U) [!].nes rom you can find the Intro music's Square 1 channel's music data start in rom offset 0x017d1f

As Dracula X said, you could use the CDL (Code/Data Logger), if you are using FCEUX.
It doesn't need to be .nsf file, you can use .nes rom as well.

1. Debug -> Code/Data Logger...
2. Debug -> Hex Editor...
3. In Hex editor: View -> ROM File
4. In Code Data Logger: Press Start / Pause / Reset Log to control your logging
5. In emulator window: Use pause key on your keyboard if you want to stop / resume the music
6. Use save states

Logged bytes will change color to blue.

I would recommend you to start from an easier music data format, for example Super Mario Bros. 3 or Mega Man 3-6.
I learned music hacking by using tutorial made by za909. You can find it from this link http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=7844.
Music data formats are different depending of the game, but they have similarities. After doing that tutorial and understanding it you should be able to learn hacking music in any game.