News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: Perils of Darkness is RELEASED! ( Go Download! :D )  (Read 63740 times)

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: Perils of Darkness is RELEASED! ( Go Download! :D )
« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2020, 11:22:34 pm »
That is a double yes
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2020, 12:55:07 am »
That is a double yes

Ultima, I still have yet to test the palaces in fires of the shadow. I will tell you my thoughts when I get around to playing it more. I don't want to leave ya hangin.
~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2020, 01:01:44 am »
Ultima, I still have yet to test the palaces in fires of the shadow. I will tell you my thoughts when I get around to playing it more. I don't want to leave ya hangin.
No worries. I decided in between everything I have going on to make some necessary corrections. I'll probably send you the update between today and tomorrow and let you know how much is fully playable.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2020, 01:51:05 am »
No worries. I decided in between everything I have going on to make some necessary corrections. I'll probably send you the update between today and tomorrow and let you know how much is fully playable.

I'll be on lookout.
~The3Dude~

Sam Atoms

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2020, 01:52:20 am »
Night palettes:  B >> A

Fire palettes:  B > A > C (although this is quite a bit closer...)

By the way.... I'm not very far in, just on my third level in Quest 1, but in retrospect a subtitle has come to mind for this hack and I think it would have been a good one:

"Perils of Darkness: Another Song of Ice and Fire"

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2020, 12:55:33 am »
V1.3 - Palette Update!
The dark, lava, and ice palette have been modified for better viewing.

1.The dark area isn't too dark anymore, now it looks like a forest in the night. The lava is darker in the lava area and therefore the area looks less "orange-ish". And the dark blue used in the ice palette which is also shared with the HUD has been made slightly brighter, so the numbers aren't as hard to see.

2. Fixed a crash at the screen behind the old man in the lava section of hard mode.

3. Players no longer have to die to see what the old man says in Lv6 of Quest 2.

Be patient, as it is in queue status :angel:
~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2020, 09:13:07 am »
I would definitely like to see changes like yours in A Link To The Past.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2020, 12:52:12 pm »
V1.3 - Palette Update!
The dark, lava, and ice palette have been modified for better viewing.

1.The dark area isn't too dark anymore, now it looks like a forest in the night. The lava is darker in the lava area and therefore the area looks less "orange-ish". And the dark blue used in the ice palette which is also shared with the HUD has been made slightly brighter, so the numbers aren't as hard to see.

2. Fixed a crash at the screen behind the old man in the lava section of hard mode.

3. Players no longer have to die to see what the old man says in Lv6 of Quest 2.

Be patient, as it is in queue status :angel:
Not seeing it in the queue, so it should be live. Those sound like good changes!

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2020, 11:16:05 pm »
Well, I have just completed the first quest, and whew! It's very good design. Secrets are just hard enough to find. Last Dungeon made my nose bleed, but it was a good challenge. Original ideas, like the Dark Maze.

Unless it has been said already, there's something I stumbled upon during testing, and it's still there. When you play the Flute near the top-left corner, the lake becomes walkable. If you go up, you get stuck. There should be something there to prevent the player from going up in the water.

Other than that, it's super fun. Some places with a bit of eye strain because of the mix of colors and textures, but nothing major. I'm going to try 2nd quest eventually, and report feedback. Good job on this hack, The3Dude!

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2020, 11:24:37 pm »
Well, I have just completed the first quest, and whew! It's very good design. Secrets are just hard enough to find. Last Dungeon made my nose bleed, but it was a good challenge. Original ideas, like the Dark Maze.

Unless it has been said already, there's something I stumbled upon during testing, and it's still there. When you play the Flute near the top-left corner, the lake becomes walkable. If you go up, you get stuck. There should be something there to prevent the player from going up in the water.

Other than that, it's super fun. Some places with a bit of eye strain because of the mix of colors and textures, but nothing major. I'm going to try 2nd quest eventually, and report feedback. Good job on this hack, The3Dude!

Great job man! About the flute area yes, that did annoy me. But the water flow would look strange between screens without that flow from the top of the screen, and you can just save and quit. Also, I just released version 1.3 that updates the palettes, so the eyestrain should be reduced :laugh:.

Again, I applaud you for finishing quest 1, and I am anticipating to hear your feedback on quest 2 ;D. ultimaweapon is the only person I know of who has beaten quest 2.

~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2020, 04:32:51 pm »

That part was a little annoying to me too Trax. Maybe The3Dude can add a tiny strip of land or make the water at the top also walkable by playing the flute to keep from getting stuck.

Great job man! About the flute area yes, that did annoy me. But the water flow would look strange between screens without that flow from the top of the screen, and you can just save and quit. Also, I just released version 1.3 that updates the palettes, so the eyestrain should be reduced :laugh:.

Again, I applaud you for finishing quest 1, and I am anticipating to hear your feedback on quest 2 ;D. ultimaweapon is the only person I know of who has beaten quest 2.

2nd Quest was definitely challenging and different from the 1st since it's not as open. It's more linear as far as which dungeons you do first. It was indeed fun. Just keep bombs and potions on you at all times. That Level 9 though was indeed brutal! just make sure you're stocked with all items! ;D

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2020, 05:29:15 pm »
just make sure you're stocked with all items!

HAHAHAHA!  ;D >:D

November 02, 2020, 04:35:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update V1.4 Bugfix/touchups!

1. Edited the screen where you can play the ocarina to walk on water. You can no longer go north up the river and get stuck.

2. Edited the fairy warp at the snow beach, You no longer get warped onto the water.

3. Fixed the sword door in hard mode's Level-3 of Quest 2 to no longer be accessible from the start, just like easy and normal.

4. Fixed the staircase exit near the southeast tip of the map. You used to appear clipped into a tree upon exiting, but weren't stuck.

5. You no longer have to remember a hint from quest 1, to use in quest 2. That hint is now in Lv6 of quest 2.

BONUS - Added a help and hints text document included in the zip.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:35:53 pm by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2020, 12:27:29 pm »
in future versions of this hack, change one of the old woman hints (from the orange waterfall area) that references Trump to another helpful in-game hint (since it turned out he did not win the 2020 election)

but otherwise so far so good with the current version - I'm trying out the the "hard" mode version since I already completed both quests in the normal version

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2020, 12:46:38 pm »
in future versions of this hack, change one of the old woman hints (from the orange waterfall area) that references Trump to another helpful in-game hint (since it turned out he did not win the 2020 election)

but otherwise so far so good with the current version - I'm trying out the the "hard" mode version since I already completed both quests in the normal version
We can presume you're joking? Why would he put rubbish politics into his excellent hack? Besides, such would violate RHDN policy about commotional hacks. Strictly not allowed.

http://www.romhacking.net/policy/#Hacks_Non-Permitted_Items
" Commotional Hacks: Hacks featuring political candidates or parties, ‘joke’ hacks negatively targeting specific people or groups, inside/personal joke hacks, community trolling, or other non video game franchise related commotional items are not accepted. "

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2020, 02:58:50 pm »
We can presume you're joking? Why would he put rubbish politics into his excellent hack? Besides, such would violate RHDN policy about commotional hacks. Strictly not allowed.

http://www.romhacking.net/policy/#Hacks_Non-Permitted_Items
" Commotional Hacks: Hacks featuring political candidates or parties, ‘joke’ hacks negatively targeting specific people or groups, inside/personal joke hacks, community trolling, or other non video game franchise related commotional items are not accepted. "

That is a policy? Trump isn't featured in the game. The word "Trump" is. The hack isn't even about politics either. But if I have to change it, oops :o! Looks like I need to update. I assumed because in Shin Zelda Densetsu, an old man says "Vote against Bush 2004." That Trump text was a funny reference to Shin Zelda. :laugh: :o

It is 1 specific (hidden) in game line, but I guess I'll have to update it? Right??? :huh: :-\ :beer:.

EDIT: Since the hint cost 50 rupees, it was meant to be a multi-reaction text. If you were for Trump you'd laugh your butt off. And If you didn't like Trump you'd be annoyed that you spent 50 rupees on it  :laugh:. Either way, It wasn't meant to target any party. It is a multi-reaction text, to either annoy or make laugh depending on the person.

Please let me know if it is required to update it, Lex. There are no current bugs I have found as of yet. And just updating that would be a small update. Not worthy of having a new version name 1.5.  :-[  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:14:27 pm by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2020, 03:43:47 pm »
That is a policy? Trump isn't featured in the game. The word "Trump" is. The hack isn't even about politics either. But if I have to change it, oops :o! Looks like I need to update. I assumed because in Shin Zelda Densetsu, an old man says "Vote against Bush 2004." That Trump text was a funny reference to Shin Zelda. :laugh: :o

It is 1 specific (hidden) in game line, but I guess I'll have to update it? Right??? :huh: :-\ :beer:.

EDIT: Since the hint cost 50 rupees, it was meant to be a multi-reaction text. If you were for Trump you'd laugh your butt off. And If you didn't like Trump you'd be annoyed that you spent 50 rupees on it  :laugh:. Either way, It wasn't meant to target any party. It is a multi-reaction text, to either annoy or make laugh depending on the person.

Please let me know if it is required to update it, Lex. There are no current bugs I have found as of yet. And just updating that would be a small update. Not worthy of having a new version name 1.5.  :-[  :laugh:

While I find this quite funny, it's best removed. If you don't remove it, the groundwork is laid for others to include political references in their hacks, and before you know it, there will be political hacks galore. It's just a can of worms best unopened. Not to mention, it severely clashes with the tone and magic of the Zelda universe.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2020, 04:11:03 pm »
It's now changed

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:00:31 pm by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2020, 04:57:07 pm »
Just remove that garbage completely from your hack(s), you seem to be trying to find that tiny thin line, and just not cross over it, best to not even get near it.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2020, 07:01:35 pm »
Just remove that garbage completely from your hack(s), you seem to be trying to find that tiny thin line, and just not cross over it, best to not even get near it.

New message is "Enjoying the game?"

Gosh ::)  :laugh:
~The3Dude~

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2020, 07:40:30 pm »
Sorry, I do love your work! But hate stuff like this...