News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: Perils of Darkness BETA TESTING (Post Feedback Here!)  (Read 43983 times)

Da_GPer

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: Curse of Darkness PROJECT (Will Take Suggestions)
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2020, 02:55:52 am »
I do like the name Vaati's Curse: Oath of Darkness. Making it not use the Zelda name would make it awesome yet still be in the same world that Zelda is in. Also, I suggest removing the 2020-20??. It just doesn't look right.

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2020, 03:21:47 am »
What about King of Darkness or Realm of Darkness?

It depends on what your storyline wants to do.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2020, 05:36:41 am »
Curse of Darkness sounds good, yes. That's why Castlevania already used it. ;P

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't use a title that is already used by another franchise.
It just feels tacky to me.

The use of the word Darkness in this hack fits perfectly.
Good points. Maybe "Spell Of Darkness"? Or maybe "Curse Of The Everdark"?

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2020, 12:31:42 pm »
To everyone's comments above, I got a perfect name.

The Legend of Zelda: Looming Darkness >:D
~The3Dude~

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: Looming Darkness PROJECT (Will Take Suggestions)
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2020, 09:22:04 pm »
That works pretty well, actually.
And let me echo everyone else's sentiments on that second title screen.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2020, 09:45:29 pm »
That works pretty well, actually.
And let me echo everyone else's sentiments on that second title screen.

Did the old one look better or are you saying the new one does? :huh:

(Edit) Nevermind it was obvious what you meant. :thumbsup:
~The3Dude~

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2020, 05:37:54 am »
To everyone's comments above, I got a perfect name.

The Legend of Zelda: Looming Darkness >:D
"Looming" tends to imply that it is impending and yet to happen.

Maybe "Curse of Shadow"?

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2020, 02:05:07 pm »
"Looming" tends to imply that it is impending and yet to happen.

Maybe "Curse of Shadow"?

8) That's what it's supposed to mean. Most of the world is corrupted and cursed, there is only a few parts of land that still haven't been taken over.

There used to be a marshlands, but now they're called Magma Marsh.

There used to be a mountain named Rock Peak, now it's called Ice Peak.

And there were these woods called deep woods, now they are the Dark woods because this mist of darkness.

Also I'm still debating on this, but here's the underwater area. :laugh:
~The3Dude~

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2020, 03:01:27 pm »
For underwater I think you should use lighter colors for the rocks if they are supposed to be under the water, might help to sell that effect.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2020, 08:17:20 pm »
I like Link's look and the new colors. They are a new welcomed addition. I like the title Looming Darkness as well.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2020, 08:09:31 pm »
I like Link's look and the new colors. They are a new welcomed addition. I like the title Looming Darkness as well.

:D Thanks Ultima!

Also what does everyone think of this?

So... I'm going to have 4 of the dungeons able to be beaten in random orders. I split the overworld into 4 sections, leaving the spawn area in the middle of the map. So you can choose to explore the beach first, the Magma Marsh, the Ice Peaks, or the dark woods first. That will all be up to the player, everyone will have a different experience. But since there are 4 areas of the map there will be 2 dungeons in each section and Lv9 will be in an unknown place for now.

I was also thinking of having Lv9 be able to be accessed at all times, but you can explore it more and more as you gain items from other dungeons. Kind of like the Temple of the Ocean King from Phantom Hourglass. Would that be a good idea? The Final Boss obviously would have the Triforce guard/old man not allowing you to pass if you don't have all Triforce pieces. I really would appreciate feedback and opinions on these ideas. :thumbsup:
~The3Dude~

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2020, 11:05:06 pm »
Those sound like some pretty solid ideas.

The only thing I cam add is that if you model Level 9 after the ideas used in the Temple of the Ocean King, make sure to add something unique to it.
I'd rather it only be similar, rather than the same.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2020, 07:39:21 am »
:D Thanks Ultima!

Also what does everyone think of this?

So... I'm going to have 4 of the dungeons able to be beaten in random orders. I split the overworld into 4 sections, leaving the spawn area in the middle of the map. So you can choose to explore the beach first, the Magma Marsh, the Ice Peaks, or the dark woods first. That will all be up to the player, everyone will have a different experience. But since there are 4 areas of the map there will be 2 dungeons in each section and Lv9 will be in an unknown place for now.

I was also thinking of having Lv9 be able to be accessed at all times, but you can explore it more and more as you gain items from other dungeons. Kind of like the Temple of the Ocean King from Phantom Hourglass. Would that be a good idea? The Final Boss obviously would have the Triforce guard/old man not allowing you to pass if you don't have all Triforce pieces. I really would appreciate feedback and opinions on these ideas. :thumbsup:

These are also solid ideas. In the vanilla game, you only had to go through about 15-20 rooms to beat Level 9 with both Red Ring and Silver Arrows.(I still like the name Ultima Arrows! ;-)) In your last hack, you had to venture to just about every toom in Level 9 in order to beat it. Keep that the same. Level 9 should feel like an epic experience.

Going through the dungeons in any order would be cool. Certain bosses will require certain items to win, so unless the boss of that dungeon requires only the sword, don't let the doors lock. Players should come and go as they please. If a boss of a dungeon only requires the sword like Aquementus, then lock the doors til the boss is defeated. Speaking of colors, give the bosses some different colors too to better match the area they are in.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2020, 09:39:39 am »

I like this one the best, it's gangsta.  ;) :cookie:

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2020, 03:38:28 pm »
So as of now Theres Lava, Ice, Woods, and Beach section. Should the fourth area still be beach or should I make it underwater?
~The3Dude~

nanashi89

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2020, 04:16:26 pm »
Underwater!

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2020, 11:33:00 pm »
So as of now Theres Lava, Ice, Woods, and Beach section. Should the fourth area still be beach or should I make it underwater?

Since Ocarina Of Time has an underwater temple, why not go with Underwater. Both dungeons you have in that area should also have some type of underwater appeal if possible.

ifightdragons

• View Profile
Re: Trying to make a Zelda 1 Hack everyone will enjoy (SUGGESTIONS NEEDED)
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2020, 11:15:28 am »
And actually for a final Boss, I have the perfect idea that would match the ganon fight perfectly! The final Boss could actually be darkness itself. I mean literally... ganon is invisble and shoots fireballs, If I made the final boss in an unlightable room where you couldn't even see his fireballs it would make the final boss literally unseen. You'd have to try to hit and shoot everywhere until you break through the dark. The only way you'd know to shoot the darkness is when you hear the stun sound after hitting him enough times.

I'm following this hack with anticipation. Your previous hacks has shown some promise, and this looks like it could be a good one.

But about the planned final boss fight. That idea sounds very unique in theory, but could very fast turn into a unfair and not very fun boss fight. Fighting something you can't see would frustrate about 99 % of all players.

"The only way you'd know to shoot the darkness is when you hear the stun sound after hitting him enough times" <--- That should tell you straight away that the fight is already going to piss most people off. It basically guarantees there will be stumbling in the dark for quite some time before luck and persistence hands you a shot. Again, a novel idea and gimmick, but would it really be fun for anyone besides the creator and a few select crazy hardcore players?

Remember the key to any good game is it needs a very fine balance between fun and challenging.

Other than that: Be smart when designing puzzles. Always keep in mind that the players will not have your knowledge when trying to solve them, so make them as intuitive as possible, without being too easy nor too hard.

And avoid crowding the screens with too many enemies, as to not make the fps drop.

Good luck! Looking forward to your updates.

The3Dude

• View Profile
Re: Trying to make a Zelda 1 Hack everyone will enjoy (SUGGESTIONS NEEDED)
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2020, 01:15:50 pm »
I'm following this hack with anticipation. Your previous hacks has shown some promise, and this looks like it could be a good one.

But about the planned final boss fight. That idea sounds very unique in theory, but could very fast turn into a unfair and not very fun boss fight. Fighting something you can't see would frustrate about 99 % of all players.

"The only way you'd know to shoot the darkness is when you hear the stun sound after hitting him enough times" <--- That should tell you straight away that the fight is already going to piss most people off. It basically guarantees there will be stumbling in the dark for quite some time before luck and persistence hands you a shot. Again, a novel idea and gimmick, but would it really be fun for anyone besides the creator and a few select crazy hardcore players?

Remember the key to any good game is it needs a very fine balance between fun and challenging.

Other than that: Be smart when designing puzzles. Always keep in mind that the players will not have your knowledge when trying to solve them, so make them as intuitive as possible, without being too easy nor too hard.

And avoid crowding the screens with too many enemies, as to not make the fps drop.

Good luck! Looking forward to your updates.

Thank you for your tips. I know I haven't posted any updates in a while... I've just been really busy trying to make the perfect overworld. I don't want it to feel limited.
~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2020, 05:47:48 pm »
Just like your last hack, have a few areas not only East and West but North and South that connect to each other. That way, the Overworld feels more rounded instead of a flat rectangle.

For the final boss, you could make the floor black and the darken the room thus needing to use the candle. After the candle usage, the room is a dark grey still giving the appearance that it's dark even though you can see just low visibility. Then increase time window in which you can hit the final boss by a second if possible giving people a realistic ability to beat the boss. If that window can't be increased, then simply make the fireballs able to be blocked with the Magical Shield. That would be your fair trade off to keep it challenging but beatable.