News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Taking down the Star Ocean Blue Sphere hack, really?  (Read 2989 times)

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
Taking down the Star Ocean Blue Sphere hack, really?
« on: January 18, 2020, 10:15:43 pm »
Was that necessary? A game that's been in Japanese for so long and then gets removed from the site? Seems like kind of a stupid move, no?
Thankfully someone had the decency to upload it to his Google Drive, but come on, I thought this site was more open to major news like
the translation of an obscure game.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Re: Taking down the Star Ocean Blue Sphere hack, really?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 10:58:56 pm »
It may have been an unintentional mishap. Looks like both Itadaki Street and Star Ocean: Blue Sphere share the same page and ID # (5337)
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5337/

Mods?

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 11:20:55 pm »
It may have been an unintentional mishap. Looks like both Itadaki Street and Star Ocean: Blue Sphere share the same page and ID # (5337)
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5337/

Mods?

Some allege it was due to the ROM hack not being complete, but it was removed without reason and I don't think it's a very judicious decision IMO. Indeed it's baffling.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 12:39:14 am »
Some allege it was due to the ROM hack not being complete, but it was removed without reason and I don't think it's a very judicious decision IMO. Indeed it's baffling.

Considering there are a ton of unfinished, incomplete, barely functional and even broken hacks/translation already on the site and still here, I doubt it was removed for this reason.

EDIT: Guess it's this?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:10:51 am by Special »

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 01:27:13 am »
Considering there are a ton of unfinished, incomplete, barely functional and even broken hacks/translation already on the site and still here, I doubt it was removed for this reason.

EDIT: Guess it's this?

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

Who knows? Either way, people are saying it's not 100%, no one has properly explained anything really

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 01:48:41 am »
It is my private translation that was stolen and distributed without my permission. No one should owe you any kind of explanation...

In any case, it is not finished. It's extremely buggy and with an extremely shitty text.

If a moron wants to upload it to a shitty website for other morons to suffer it, it's up to them. RHDN seems to be a more decent place than those other websites you visit.
There has to be a better life.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 02:26:46 am »
I think it's too late to sweep under the rug. Bootleggers are already duping people by selling cartridges without disclosing where the translation originated or any bugs it has.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 04:03:42 am »
No point in uploading a buggy translation that's unfinished, on top of all things, there are too many unfinished translations already (most of them are pretty old though). The same thing happened with Mizzurna Falls not so long ago. That game would routinely crash, not to mention that the script wasn't fully done.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 04:12:08 am by cccmar »

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 10:49:45 am »
It is my private translation that was stolen and distributed without my permission. No one should owe you any kind of explanation...

In any case, it is not finished. It's extremely buggy and with an extremely shitty text.

If a moron wants to upload it to a shitty website for other morons to suffer it, it's up to them. RHDN seems to be a more decent place than those other websites you visit.

Oy vey, no need to make a federal case out of it. Nor is it necessary to be so condescending about it. I suppose it's true, no one and I mean no one, should ever be trusted. Take my word for it, always be cynical towards everyone you meet, never trust anyone, sound good?  :huh:  :-X

Yeah, I get it, it sucks to have things leak, but what's done is done. Unless you want people to invent a time machine and go back and un-leak what's been leaked. That'll work I'm sure.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 02:36:16 pm »
Oy vey, no need to make a federal case out of it. Nor is it necessary to be so condescending about it. I suppose it's true, no one and I mean no one, should ever be trusted. Take my word for it, always be cynical towards everyone you meet, never trust anyone, sound good?  :huh:  :-X

Yeah, I get it, it sucks to have things leak, but what's done is done. Unless you want people to invent a time machine and go back and un-leak what's been leaked. That'll work I'm sure.

People are so quick to pass judgment, at that. I've seen allegations a repro seller commissioned this translation.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 02:38:53 pm »
I thought this was drx's incomplete star ocean protype. He was asked not to release it because someone had a complete rom.. They had the complete rom I think. Far as I know he didn't oppose it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 02:54:42 pm by MathUser2929 »

Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 02:54:15 pm »

You're the one who made English translations for 2 Choro games and a Full Metal Alchemist GBA one. I enjoyed every one of them so thank you very much! Really appreciate it.
 I'm sorry for what happened, unfortunately there's nothing else to do once it's reached the web. I hope there's not any sensible data leaked too, that would be much more troublesome to deal with.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 03:21:59 pm »
You're the one who made English translations for 2 Choro games and a Full Metal Alchemist GBA one. I enjoyed every one of them so thank you very much! Really appreciate it.
 I'm sorry for what happened, unfortunately there's nothing else to do once it's reached the web. I hope there's not any sensible data leaked too, that would be much more troublesome to deal with.

Neat. I vaguely recall liking the GBA Choro games quite a while ago.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 08:22:09 pm »

RHDN is a great website, and a lot of patches have been uploaded here purely for preservation's sake. I guess just feel honored that someone wanted to preserve your unfinished hack? A lot of unfinished hacks get put up here, just in case someone wants to finish your work further down the road. Now that we know it's an active project though, I look forward to your full release. You should upload it here when done!

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 07:50:06 am »
The chances of this happening seems really low, why was mz targeted? Doesn't seem random at all. It sucks it got put out there like that, but once people start playing it they'll realize how badly tuned it is for right now.

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 09:08:22 am »
The chances of this happening seems really low, why was mz targeted? Doesn't seem random at all. It sucks it got put out there like that, but once people start playing it they'll realize how badly tuned it is for right now.

Being a bit negative, aren't we?

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 12:07:13 pm »
RHDN obviously made the right call in honoring mz's takedown request.

I was one of those who downloaded it here and starting playing before discovering that it was a leaked translation. I've decided to hold off in anticipation of a completed release, although I am somewhat curious as to whether the leaked file is in an unfinished-but-very-playable state (a la Fire Emblem 4's Project Naga beta) or just a mess. Still, not curious enough to invest time only to discover the latter.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 02:34:19 pm »
No, unless you mean what I said about his romhack.  He did say it was buggy and incomplete earlier in this thread, so optimistically despite the leak that this little stunt by whoever did it won't matter much.

The real thing will come out when it is ready, I rather play something that is actually in a completed state than something that isn't ready anyway.

@nintendo_nerd85
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:42:15 pm by Kallisto »

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 07:34:40 pm »
Forgive me, but what exactly gives you the right to be upset that your translation was leaked? You're selling repro carts with a fan translation for $50-$60 a pop. Last time I checked, selling someone else's copyrighted material is piracy, which is illegal. And now you're upset that you pirates got your patch leaked. Well, that's just karma. Your selfish actions may spell doom to the entire romhacking community if the video game corporations decide to take action upon on all of us. You should all be reported to the authorities for this.

How many fan translators have provided free quality patches without making a single cent off of them for all these years? And now you come along and try to make profits off a game that you don't even legally own. You'll never see such behavior from Dynamic-Designs. We work hard to release our translations without even asking for donations, unlike AGTP. This is because we have a little something called "honor". If you want money, get a job like the rest of us and stop trying to make profits off of piracy. Romhacking/translating is a hobby and nothing more. If you don't do it for free, then don't do it at all. You're making us all look bad. If you want to get paid for translating games, then get a real job as a translator. Don't be a bloody internet pirate for profit.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 07:37:55 pm »
mz's translation was stolen for the repros afaik

so your entire post basically holds no water