News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should I do for the Princess in Vanilla Lost Levels?

Leave her the same as SMB1
Leave her the same as SMB1 but with slightly different dress
Leave her the same as SMB1 but with a ponytail
Swap her out for Daisy
White and Red Dress like the Famicom version

Author Topic: Super Mario All-Stars Redrawn  (Read 47581 times)

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
Re: Super Mario All-Stars, Artwork Faithful Edition
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2020, 03:30:53 am »
Unless my internet isnt showing the .gif at the correct speed, there is something strange with SMB3 walking cycle there.

I see the problem on the legs, it doesnt look like he walks, maybe adding more shadow to the leg behind or editing the legs, I dont know yet.

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2020, 06:06:22 am »
Unless my internet isnt showing the .gif at the correct speed, there is something strange with SMB3 walking cycle there.

I see the problem on the legs, it doesnt look like he walks, maybe adding more shadow to the leg behind or editing the legs, I dont know yet.

I hope this looks better.

I wanted to gif his iconic airplane running too but his legs move so fast it didn't look the way it did in the game. Kind of like a fan going so fast it's blades appear to be moving slow. I spent all day on the Mario 3 sprites so it's important to get them right.

Hopefully when it comes time to do the power-ups, and Luigi, it all comes down to simple edits though because the player sprites are really exhausting.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

AdamDravian

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 29, 2020, 07:01:02 am »
I think the latest Mario 3 sprites look incredible. Looking forward to seeing the powered-up variations.
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2020, 10:25:48 am »
About enemis' sprites in Lost Levels.
You could take a cue from Super Mario World when we finish Special Stages: only iconic enemies change, i.e. goomba, koopa troopa, and piranha plant.. .. and change completely.. :)
According to this, I would vote for "some" instead of "none".
It would bring a new coat of paint  without changing everything, and the changes would be radical enough to make it feel "special".

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2020, 07:26:46 pm »
Gosh. I dunno what to say. I spend my day working at a bowling alley and bussing to and from said bowling alley. Now I've gotta cook dinner, go shopping, etc

I wish I was doing work on this with y'all :| I'll be happy to playtest when it's ready, though.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2020, 03:14:07 am »
Nothing too interesting to share today, just a few enemy updates.

I'm actually pretty happy with how the spinies came out. I should go back and re-do my SMB1 spines similar to that. ( But not soo similar. ) If I can alter the palette without ruining some other part of the game, I'd like to change the bob-ombs to black ( by which I mean really dark grey )  Not sure what to do about the key-less Bob-ombs in Dark Land. Lakitu works really different than it does in SMB1 so I had to make it symmetrical. And I could not make the cloud round, but I tried to at least give sort of an illusion of it.

Side note, Mario 3 has so many variants on it's power-ups and even some of it's enemies, it's hard to tell what something is used for when I look at it in YYCHR. Some of them even appear to be unused but I can't be sure since they're indistinguishable from the in-game version. There's no new artwork of the old power-ups for SMB3, so I was going to base the power-ups more on how the giant super detailed sprites look in the spade panel mini-games.  But god, it's tough to track what's what. There's a sprite for what comes out of the power-up blocks, a sprite for the toad houses, a sprite for inventory, a sprite for hammer bros. boxes, a sprite for the end level roulette, a sprite for the card that you win from said roulette, and more presumably. 

I think the latest Mario 3 sprites look incredible. Looking forward to seeing the powered-up variations.

I'm dreading them frankly but wish me luck. Hopefully they'll be easy once I get the regular Mario sprites out of the way.  Raccoon Mario will hopefully be as simple as adding ears and tails onto what i've already done.

Mario's DMB3 sprite is coming along nicely, I got a little to caught up fretting over the walk cycle today, but three frames, and one has to be the idle stance, I think I should stop overthinking it so I can move on. I will be happy to let others take a whack at a better walk cycle if they want.

About enemis' sprites in Lost Levels.
You could take a cue from Super Mario World when we finish Special Stages: only iconic enemies change, i.e. goomba, koopa troopa, and piranha plant.. .. and change completely.. :)
According to this, I would vote for "some" instead of "none".
It would bring a new coat of paint  without changing everything, and the changes would be radical enough to make it feel "special".

I actually wasn't a fan of how the enemies changed in SMW, the Mario Masked Koopas and pidgit bullet bills just looked too weird for me so I would avoid beating that final level in the special zone  :laugh:.  I think i'll just try to be a little more subtle in my variations from the original sprites.   Nothing too off-beat.

Gosh. I dunno what to say. I spend my day working at a bowling alley and bussing to and from said bowling alley. Now I've gotta cook dinner, go shopping, etc

I wish I was doing work on this with y'all :| I'll be happy to playtest when it's ready, though.

Your support means a lot anyway!
The finish line is a long ways away and it seems to keep slipping further away but I hope you'll enjoy it when it's ready.

I totally should have anticipated this, but the player sprites are causing quite a bit of frustration, although I think what I have so far does look nice. Always room for improvement though.  I might even take some of the feedback i've gotten on the Lost Levels and SMB3 sprites and try to touch up the Mario 2 sprites.

EDIT: It's not a landslide but I think the current poll is sorted. I'll have to come up with the next one soon.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 05:45:47 am by pocket »
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2020, 06:03:16 am »
Nothing too interesting to share today, just a few enemy updates.

I'm actually pretty happy with how the spinies came out. I should go back and re-do my SMB1 spines similar to that. ( But not soo similar. ) If I can alter the palette without ruining some other part of the game, I'd like to change the bob-ombs to black ( by which I mean really dark grey )  Not sure what to do about the key-less Bob-ombs in Dark Land. Lakitu works really different than it does in SMB1 so I had to make it symmetrical. And I could not make the cloud round, but I tried to at least give sort of an illusion of it.

Side note, Mario 3 has so many variants on it's power-ups and even some of it's enemies, it's hard to tell what something is used for when I look at it in YYCHR. Some of them even appear to be unused but I can't be sure since they're indistinguishable from the in-game version. There's no new artwork of the old power-ups for SMB3, so I was going to base the power-ups more on how the giant super detailed sprites look in the spade panel mini-games.  But god, it's tough to track what's what. There's a sprite for what comes out of the power-up blocks, a sprite for the toad houses, a sprite for inventory, a sprite for hammer bros. boxes, a sprite for the end level roulette, a sprite for the card that you win from said roulette, and more presumably. 

I'm dreading them frankly but wish me luck. Hopefully they'll be easy once I get the regular Mario sprites out of the way.  Raccoon Mario will hopefully be as simple as adding ears and tails onto what i've already done.

Mario's DMB3 sprite is coming along nicely, I got a little to caught up fretting over the walk cycle today, but three frames, and one has to be the idle stance, I think I should stop overthinking it so I can move on. I will be happy to let others take a whack at a better walk cycle if they please.

In fact, if someone really wants to see if they can improve on something i've done, I can send them a .bin file of my progress on a particular sprite. I think this has become a semi-collaborative effort at this point anyway.

I actually wasn't a fan of how the enemies changed in SMW, the Mario Masked Koopas and pidgit bullet bills just looked too weird for me so I would avoid beating that final level in the special zone  :laugh:.  I think i'll just try to be a little more subtle in my variations from the original sprites.   Nothing too off-beat.

Your support means a lot anyway!
The finish line is a long ways away and it seems to keep slipping further away but I hope you'll enjoy it when it's ready.

I totally should have anticipated this, but the player sprites are causing quite a bit of frustration, although I think what I have so far does look nice. Always room for improvement though.  I might even take some of the feedback i've gotten on the Lost Levels and SMB3 sprites and try to touch up the Mario 3 sprites.

EDIT: It's not a landslide but I think the current poll is sorted. I'll have to come up with the next one soon.

Pocket you know this work of DarkSamus993 and IceGoom.

I could give ideas for art designs. ;)

Super Mario World Redrawn

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2919/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeP46e15Mq8

another suggestion Pocket, comments on the possible improvement of the sprite eyes of "Peach" changing to original blue in Mario 3.

NiO

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2020, 11:36:35 pm »
One minor "complain"

With all the shell enemies there, you used a black outline in their bottom/shell that separates their body but it was not added on the Spinies, so probably you should add it too, for the sake of consistency.

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2020, 01:17:02 am »
Revisiting SMB2 to apply what i've recently learned and touch up certain sprites,  I completely re-did Shyguys and I think they may be my new favorites. 

( you can also peep Mario in the corner who's gotten a slight touch up based on what i've been doing with SMB3 and TLL )

But my main reason for making a new post, it's time for the new poll.

Ever since the beginning i've been really conflicted about Phanto.   They based the SNES/GBA era artwork of Phanto on the original Doki-Doki Panic version, which was wildly different than what appeared in game in SMB2. Normally, I'd absolutely stick with the artwork for this, but Phanto is such an anomaly.
A. The artwork is based off the wrong version of the game
B. The SMB sprite is, imo, a vast improvement on the Doki Doki Panic version.
C. The SMB2 version of Phanto is also a background element, like the giant one with glowing eyes, and backgrounds are very troublesome to edit.

So, let's have a poll. Which version of Phanto should be in the final version of the hack?

For reference, this is the artwork.

There is this Nintendo power illustration, but I don't really consider Nintendo Power art to be 100% official. Let's just say you won't ever see that sort of thing as a sticker or spirit in a Super Smash Bros. game.

And lastly, here' the giant Phanto in the background of key rooms who's eyes glow when you pick up a key.

Since i'll be basing the SMB3 power-ups on the Spade Panel Mini-games, I think it's fair to take this thing into consideration when voting.

Pocket you know this work of DarkSamus993 and IceGoom.

I could give ideas for art designs. ;)

Super Mario World Redrawn

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2919/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeP46e15Mq8

another suggestion Pocket, comments on the possible improvement of the sprite eyes of "Peach" changing to original blue in Mario 3.

SMW redrawn is a very good looking hack, studying it for one or two ideas might not be a terrible idea, although it seems to be more about modernizing SMW than looking closer to the art.

As for SMB3 Peach, I have not gotten to her yet, but you can expect she will look very similar to what i've done in Super Mario Bros. 2

One minor "complain"

With all the shell enemies there, you used a black outline in their bottom/shell that separates their body but it was not added on the Spinies, so probably you should add it too, for the sake of consistency.

Better?

Side note, I think if I can't find a way to color correct the bosses in Super Mario World besides Lemmy and Wendy, I'm just going to scrap redrawing a SMAS+W version or even the stand-alone SMW.

EDIT: I made a lot of changes to the SMB2 enemies today. I started with SMB2 so they were starting to look a little rough to me. I'm going to hold off on updating the OP, I have a much better idea for how to approach the OP. For now, enjoy the new sprites. I think Cobrat is an especially big improvement.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:39:48 am by pocket »

Nuclear3D

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2020, 02:59:10 am »
I really hope you consider still making the world version even if you cant change the bosses around we all really like what your doing with all stars and it be a real shame to see it end there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:33:55 am by Nuclear3D »

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2020, 07:23:34 am »
I would opt for the original version of the "sprite" Phanto.
from the original Super Mario Bros. 2 for Nintendo "NES".

his "noseless" appearance and his profiled eyes next to his evil smile make him much more feared as an enemy in the phases of the keys.

another suggestion about the Pocket project

Super Mario Bros. 2
I never liked the exchange of the original hexagons for hearts on the life screen of the All-Stars version.
Do you value restoring hexagons with a new sprite art ?
thanks.

Uberdubie

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2020, 11:21:39 am »

his "noseless" appearance and his profiled eyes next to his evil smile make him much more feared as an enemy in the phases of the keys.

I agree with this -- the original sprite from SMB2 looked like this one.^^^

The other smile-less version I've seen a number of times in this thread is from it's appearance Doki Doki Panic, rather than Mario 2 USA proper.  The spritework in SMB2 always had the smile.  Not sure about SMB2's official art work per se -- but if it's smile-less, it's a hold-out from Doki Doki Panic regardless... which I don't believe is in-theme here.

NiO

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2020, 02:58:49 pm »
Yeah, Spinies look a lot better now.

About Phanto, I voted the smiling one.

Your SMB2 sprites are looking great!

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2020, 03:58:45 pm »
For Phanto, I went with C as it is the closest to the NES one (although perhaps the mouth could be bigger to make it look more evil as per the NES version).  Sinister phanto is my childhood lol

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2020, 06:05:52 am »
OP is updated with all the new versions of every SMB2 enemy. Every non-boss enemy was updated except Pokey and Hoopster. I'm so close to being 100% satisfied with the enemies but Hoopster and Bob-omb still feel off to me. 

Bosses haven't been touched just yet. Fryguy and Clawgrip probably never will be, there's just nothing to do with them except maybe adding some yellow into Clawgrip's Palette.  Maybe Mouser and Triclyde could use some tweaks, and Wart still needs a dark blue coat.

With all that said, I think SMB2 is the closest to being completed between the four games.

I know I said I was going to come up with a new way to present the images on the OP but what I had in mind would have been too big, and too tedious to put together ( not that my current methods aren't tedious  :laugh: )

I really hope you consider still making the world version even if you cant change the bosses around we all really like what your doing with all stars and it be a real shame to see it end there.

I'll consider it, but not being able to fix the bosses makes me feel like I couldn't really call it an "Artwork Faithful" hack. It would feel dishonest to call it that. The palette in SMW is really restrictive in general as well making it harder to make things look as good as they do in All-Stars.

another suggestion about the Pocket project

Super Mario Bros. 2
I never liked the exchange of the original hexagons for hearts on the life screen of the All-Stars version.
Do you value restoring hexagons with a new sprite art ?
thanks.

I can start a poll about the hexagons but it's not really a priority for me. I think the hearts make more sense personally, you pick up floating hearts to restore your health, hearts are used to represent health all over the world, ect. But if enough people vote in favor of the hexagons, then I'll change it, it's not something i feel that strongly about.

JacobLeBeauREAL

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2020, 09:51:00 am »
When do you think a demo/beta will release?

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2020, 10:26:29 am »
At first I was not convinced by the idea, but now that this project is taking shape I love it, I think I finally have a good reason to play Mario Usa, great job!!! :thumbsup:

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2020, 11:11:58 pm »
Mouser and Triclyde got an update, see them in the OP, but the short of it is that Mouser is rounder and is a more solid grey instead of having that green hue, and Triclyde's head was rounded to better match the art. He also looks more fierce when opening his mouth.      I also gave Tweeter a more bat-like wing since I felt like it's wing went off.

What I really wanted to show off was this.

They basically made the Snifit in the bonus game a larger version of the sprite they made, I tried my best to convert the official art here. I also made the turnip more accurate to the art. ( don't mind the characters on the bonus screen, i haven't updated their palettes yet )

Also we have a new poll because there was a clear winner in the phanto contest.

When do you think a demo/beta will release?

I don't know, I didn't really have a plan for a demo, but if I was to release one, I'd reckon it would still be a month or two away. Maybe I can release a demo of SMB2 as a stand-alone sooner than that since it's closer to being done than the other games.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:22:46 pm by pocket »

NiO

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2020, 03:52:54 am »

Since you have proven you really listen to feedback I would make a suggestion there.

Making his face 1 or 2 pixels lower may be more accurate, your sprite seems to have the face too high while in the art is more centered.

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2020, 05:35:18 am »
Since you have proven you really listen to feedback I would make a suggestion there.

Making his face 1 or 2 pixels lower may be more accurate, your sprite seems to have the face too high while in the art is more centered.

I actually had the same thought as you after I posted, and could have sworn I made an edit. But apparently not. Here is what it looks like now.

Also while i'm at it, I got the character select screen done.