News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario All-Stars Redrawn ( SMB2 Demo now available in OP )  (Read 122592 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario All-Stars, Artwork Faithful Edition
« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2020, 11:43:08 am »
Anyways, this has nothing to do with Super Mario All-Stars unless I can magically insert a new game into the collection as a part of this hack ( not likely ), but I'm messing around with the homebrew SNES Donkey Kong remake. DK himself is almost done. All I'd need to change after that is Mario, Pauline, and changing the green girders back to pink. Only thing I'd want to do after that is changing the title screen to say "Donkey Kong" instead of the legally safe "Classic Kong" but that's a bit out of my league.

Don't know if you're aware or not, but Classic Kong is actually open source:
https://github.com/nathancassano/classickong

You can pretty much just grab the assets and make a fork of your own, you can see the whole sprites and tilesets inside the gfx/ folder. From there, you can edit at your heart's content, and play around with the graphics.

Once you are done, you can simply compile the ROM and that's pretty much it :P

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2020, 08:14:41 pm »
Dude, you're fast becoming one of my favorite hackers here. YOur passion translates straight into highly polished sprite work.

I'm just gonna say now, amongst the HD graphic hacks of NES games, you'd be a hero. If you got into stuff like this https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26811.0 at some point down the line, it might really get your name out there after an amazing project like this one ^_^

Still, i'd love to see you redo the 16 or so sprite sheet replacements needed for Mother 2: Faithful Edition that ShadowOne333 was working on. I'm pretty sure that was mainly what was holding the project up from a full release but that also has a large cult following so might get you some more notoriety. Still, focus on the projects that make you passionate because you're smashing it outta the park.

Loving the look of Classic Kong. I actually just played that again the other day XD

You're too kind.  I'm not really doing this for notoriety though, I'm just a dumb Nintendo Fanboy that wants one of my favorite games to look like the pictures I looked at as a kid. ( Also I'm mostly interested in hacking things I can play on real hardware, or at least one of those modded mini consoles, so HD packs for NES games aren't really in my crosshairs )

Don't know if you're aware or not, but Classic Kong is actually open source:
https://github.com/nathancassano/classickong

You can pretty much just grab the assets and make a fork of your own, you can see the whole sprites and tilesets inside the gfx/ folder. From there, you can edit at your heart's content, and play around with the graphics.

Once you are done, you can simply compile the ROM and that's pretty much it :P

It's embarrassing for me to have to flaunt my ignorance like this, but I don't really know how to use anything in that download besides the rom itself. But it's not really an issue since I can simply edit the game's graphics in YYCHR.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2020, 09:16:36 pm »
The koopa troopa feet kinda stick out a pixal or 2 too wide horizontally.

But much better looking Koopa troopa's than originally seen.

Did You make Larry's Hair more Spike- puffy than just a comb over though?

Also, did you consider changing out the bosses of Level 3 and 6 with 2 Completely New bosses like in the game
SMB-2 for the Gameboy Advance? Because it's just Mouser and Tri-clyde Repeated again.

Is that possible maybe? For SMB USA?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:40:48 pm by SkyLizardGirl »
Blaster Master Hacker

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2020, 09:56:39 pm »
The koopa troopa feet kinda stick out a pixal or 2 too wide horizontally.

But much better looking Koopa troopa's than originally seen.

Did You make Larry's Hair more Spike- puffy than just a comb over though?

Also, did you consider changing out the bosses of Level 3 and 6 with 2 Completely New bosses like in the game
SMB-2 for the Gameboy Advance? Because it's just Mouser and Tri-clyde Repeated again.

Which Koopa Troopas are you talking about, there's SMB1, Lost Levels, and SMB3 Koopas now.  Lost Levels Koopas are outdated though.

I updated Larry a while back, I just haven't updated the Koopaling's OP image because I am probably going to tweak him a little more, as well as the rest of the Koopalings.

I would love to add Robirdo and other GBA exclusive content ( and SMB Deluxe as well ) but I'm the last person to ask about that, as I've said, I'm not a hacker, I just do pixel art. That's why there's a long list of things in the OP that I would like help with. I can't imagine it's easy to import things from the GBA version of these games or it probably would have been done by someone else by now.

At least in my version of the game, World 2 Triclyde is red, and World 6 Triclyde is dark green, so there is some difference... the Mousers are the same though.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:09:42 am by pocket »
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #204 on: February 06, 2020, 09:46:24 am »
You're too kind.  I'm not really doing this for notoriety though, I'm just a dumb Nintendo Fanboy that wants one of my favorite games to look like the pictures I looked at as a kid. ( Also I'm mostly interested in hacking things I can play on real hardware, or at least one of those modded mini consoles, so HD packs for NES games aren't really in my crosshairs )

My favourite part of this comment is my later plans to put this version of All Stars on a SNES Mini XD

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 06, 2020, 09:56:50 am »
Which Koopa Troopas are you talking about, there's SMB1, Lost Levels, and SMB3 Koopas now.  Lost Levels Koopas are outdated though.

I updated Larry a while back, I just haven't updated the Koopaling's OP image because I am probably going to tweak him a little more, as well as the rest of the Koopalings.

I would love to add Robirdo and other GBA exclusive content ( and SMB Deluxe as well ) but I'm the last person to ask about that, as I've said, I'm not a hacker, I just do pixel art. That's why there's a long list of things in the OP that I would like help with. I can't imagine it's easy to import things from the GBA version of these games or it probably would have been done by someone else by now.

At least in my version of the game, World 2 Triclyde is red, and World 6 Triclyde is dark green, so there is some difference... the Mousers are the same though.

An Advance to Snes hack of Allstars is something I've wanted for a hell of long time, and now that the game is disassembled it seems more feasible then ever. If you can find someone to do this, please do.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 06, 2020, 10:38:46 am »
In the NES SMB3, when you beat the game you get a full supply of P wings when you play again. You should see if you can make that happen.

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2020, 01:32:49 am »

I think i've more or less decided on my direction for Lost Levels enemy sprites, mostly just subtle tweaks to the originals... if some of them are rough, i'll work on them. SMB1 and TLL are a lot harder to work with than the other games because of all the shared palettes and the palettes changing between level themes.

Bullet Bill and Piranha plant are actually based on new art they made for Lost Levels.

And Cheep Cheep is based on variations of of the original art made for Super Mario Land 2.

But I sometimes feel like some of the changes are a little TOO subtle. So I considered someone's suggestion a few pages back where I alter the sprite's a lot more heavily, like the enemies in Super Mario World once you beat the special zone.  Their approach of changing Koopas into Mini Marios and Piranha Plants into jack-o-lanterns is a little too weird for me so instead, I thought I might try some off-beat designs that exist elsewhere in the series.

The Goomba comes from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, the Buzzy Beetle from Super Mario Land 2, the Spiny, from Super Mario RPG, and the Blooper from Super Mario Sunshine. I'm open for suggestions on designs to use for the rest of the enemies, but I think i'll be keeping Bullet Bill and Piranha Plant the same since they're actually based on Lost Levels Art.

This will be an optional version since I know this could give some purists an aneurysm. I'll be using this version personally because I want TLL to feel as different from SMB1 as possible.

With that said, I really wish I could change the backgrounds and add new music for the optional patch, because I've found 16-bit versions of Super Mario Maker 2 assets that would go a long way in selling that illusion while still sharing it's blood with SMB1.

My favourite part of this comment is my later plans to put this version of All Stars on a SNES Mini XD

An Advance to Snes hack of Allstars is something I've wanted for a hell of long time, and now that the game is disassembled it seems more feasible then ever. If you can find someone to do this, please do.

It's not within my skillset, but if someone is able to import it, i'd happily let them implant it into the hack.  Although I think it would be for the best that first someone makes a Super Mario All-Stars with Advanced and Deluxe exclusive content as a stand alone project seperate from this hack. That would make purists really happy and it could be used in future projects, I could update this one later... ( with help of course because I wouldn't know how to do it myself. )

In the NES SMB3, when you beat the game you get a full supply of P wings when you play again. You should see if you can make that happen.
I think it should stay the same to be honest, thanks to SMAS's save feature, you get to keep all of your inventory between sessions, so as long as you remember what you haven't used before you save and quit, you could build your own inventory.  I've grinded world 4 to get a whole bunch of P-wings and those clouds that skip levels, it's made testing SMB3 a lot less painful... just remember to reset instead of save and quit.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:15:27 am by pocket »

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 07, 2020, 05:04:00 am »
But I sometimes feel like some of the changes are a little TOO subtle. So I considered someone's suggestion a few pages back where I alter the sprite's a lot more heavily, like the enemies in Super Mario World once you beat the special zone.  Their approach of changing Koopas into Mini Marios and Piranha Plants into Birds is a little too weird for me so instead, I thought I might try some off-beat designs that exist elsewhere in the series.

The Goomba comes from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, the Buzzy Beetle from Super Mario Land 2, the Spiny, from Super Mario RPG, and the Blooper from Super Mario Sunshine. I'm open for suggestions on designs to use for the rest of the enemies, but I think i'll be keeping Bullet Bill and Piranha Plant the same since they're actually based on Lost Levels Art.
It was me, and I like your own approach a lot!  :thumbsup:

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #209 on: February 07, 2020, 01:09:34 pm »
Lol, .. When i meant change out the bosses with the Gameboy Advance SMB USA - i meant Just replace the Pixal Sprites is all.
You don't have to program in an entirely new boss, just change out how the stages 3 and 6 bosses look, they could use the same engine as Mouser and Tri-clyde.
Blaster Master Hacker

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #210 on: February 07, 2020, 06:57:26 pm »
Lol, .. When i meant change out the bosses with the Gameboy Advance SMB USA - i meant Just replace the Pixal Sprites is all.
You don't have to program in an entirely new boss, just change out how the stages 3 and 6 bosses look, they could use the same engine as Mouser and Tri-clyde.

Oh, I see.  I can't really do that either though since they use the same sprite for those battles. Best I can do is give them different color palettes, which I've done for Triclyde.  Mouser is the same in both worlds, but I can give Mouser that greenish-hue the original sprite had in world 3 while keeping the artwork accurate darker grey for world 1.

Someone might be able to figure out how to give world 3 and 6 bosses their own sprites but I don't really think it would make much sense to have a new boss behaving like Mouser or Triclyde. I'd probably make them into more drastic variants of those bosses instead, like going from Bowser to Dry Bowser.  Mecha-Mouser and Dry-clyde maybe? Hah.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #211 on: February 07, 2020, 09:46:28 pm »
Oh, I see.  I can't really do that either though since they use the same sprite for those battles. Best I can do is give them different color palettes, which I've done for Triclyde.  Mouser is the same in both worlds, but I can give Mouser that greenish-hue the original sprite had in world 3 while keeping the artwork accurate darker grey for world 1.

Someone might be able to figure out how to give world 3 and 6 bosses their own sprites but I don't really think it would make much sense to have a new boss behaving like Mouser or Triclyde. I'd probably make them into more drastic variants of those bosses instead, like going from Bowser to Dry Bowser.  Mecha-Mouser and Dry-clyde maybe? Hah.

Oh my God DRY-CLyde & Mecha Mouser would be awesome.*

I understand though if it can only switch the colors, was just a thought.
Blaster Master Hacker

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2020, 11:49:34 pm »

Oh my God DRY-CLyde & Mecha Mouser would be awesome.*

I understand though if it can only switch the colors, was just a thought.

I reckon they would look something like this.

Now I've gone and made myself sad that I don't know how to put them in the game without overwriting the world  1 and 2 bosses.  Super Mario All-Stars hacking really needs to hurry up and take off in the same way that Super Mario World did so I can make a bunch of original hacks with these kinds of things in it.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2020, 02:15:08 am »

How about using the sprites of the Tatori Jr. from Super Metroid?

They're basically six legged Buzzy Beetles with a greenish shell.

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2020, 04:11:39 am »
Hammer Bros. have been very challenging for me. I felt like the original sprite for SMB1 Hammer Bros. were the worst looking sprites in the game. But I think I've finally done a decent job with them.

...Actually these came about because I was trying to figure out how make a Lost Levels Variant ( a non-special one that is). I thought it was such an improvement that I moved it into the SMB1 position. Now I still have to come up with a Lost Levels variant.  ( I think my SMB3 Hammer Bros could use some improvements too tbh )

You can also see that i've slightly tweaked the snow tiles in that screenshot, so that the SMB1 version will have lighter lines.  I think the poll makes it clear the white blocks are staying.

SMB1 Castles also got tweaked based on a tile from Super Mario Maker. I still need to tweak the lower corners.

And, the bridges you fight Bowser on in SMB1 now resemble the ones in the NES version. Here's a gif to show it's destruction in action.  ( Mind my slip-up, keyboard controls plus lag from video recording throws me off. ) 

( Also, I feel like I should also remind everyone that this Mario sprite is a placeholder. I'm only showcasing the environment )

How about using the sprites of the Tatori Jr. from Super Metroid?

They're basically six legged Buzzy Beetles with a greenish shell.

I've already chosen the buzzy beetle replacement and I'd like to try to keep it inside the Mario series, or at least Mario cameos. But that would be a really good choice to make a Metroid themed Mario hack... more reasons why SMAS hacking really needs to get rolling so I or someone else can make Mario on Zebes hack for SNES.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:19:29 am by pocket »

Razieldemon

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 08, 2020, 12:21:58 pm »
EDIT: I redrew Mario 1 Bowser a little more professionally. On mobiel so I cant embed the photo but here is the link.

http://imgur.com/gallery/8McECTu

Seeing these in action pocket really highlight your vision well.

Most of the individual sprites look fantastic. and I know Mario is a wip, but with him and bowser remade, I have to say they look great together. Like it belongs together instead of random edits.

Phenomenal work.

If I can issue a challenge to you at all, if you get inspiration only, I wonder if you can make the Ox bowser for lost levels.Im not sure if its like so many other sprites here wherethe files are duplicated but if so I think itd be really interesting. I wonder if we ever got a full body shot of that version of him.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 12:59:25 pm by Razieldemon »

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #216 on: February 08, 2020, 01:19:11 pm »
I reckon they would look something like this.

Duuuuuuuude!!! <3

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #217 on: February 08, 2020, 09:01:40 pm »
EDIT: I redrew Mario 1 Bowser a little more professionally. On mobiel so I cant embed the photo but here is the link.

http://imgur.com/gallery/8McECTu

Seeing these in action pocket really highlight your vision well.

Most of the individual sprites look fantastic. and I know Mario is a wip, but with him and bowser remade, I have to say they look great together. Like it belongs together instead of random edits.

Phenomenal work.

If I can issue a challenge to you at all, if you get inspiration only, I wonder if you can make the Ox bowser for lost levels.Im not sure if its like so many other sprites here wherethe files are duplicated but if so I think itd be really interesting. I wonder if we ever got a full body shot of that version of him.

Here's what I came up with.

I tried to dig up as much reference for Ox Bowser as I could. Aparantly he appeared on the cover of some kind of music album, much friendlier looking and with ears, but I stuck with the box-art style. There was also an unpainted figurine made of "Ox Bowser" that shows off his body but it's not much help since the details are hard to make out and it's a frontal view of a sprite that's meant to be seen from the side.  I think the best approach would be to fuse designs for Ox Bowser and True Bowser.

Also, funny thing, when I searched for "Ox Bowser" reference, some old artwork of mine popped up in the search results in which I drew the seven "Fake Bowsers" from SMB1 based on designs from serveral official or semi-official sources over the years.

Can you identify them all? ( Pardon the roughness, it's from like 5 years ago )

I really wanted to include Ox Bowser in this hack from the very beginning, but I also wanted to keep the original Bowser in the game. The ideal scenario for me would have been to use him for the "Fake bowsers" but keep the World 8 Bowser as his final green and orange design. Failing that, my consolation prize would have been using him for Bowser's Brother  in Lost Levels ( ...if you don't know about that, take a look at this: https://weirdmarioenemies.tumblr.com/post/180590248059/name-blue-bowser-debut-super-mario-bros-the )

I think what I'll end up doing is using this design for the "Special sprites" version of Lost Levels. But maybe with some help he can make it into the regular veresion.  ( I also quite like the chap with the horn on his nose. Strange as it sounds, he was in one of my world history books in school. )

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2020, 07:13:27 am »
Using it in Lost Levels would be the perfect fit.
It's perfect as a place for all the misfits. :p

But using it as Bowser's Brother, which I was not aware of, seems really promising.

Razieldemon

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2020, 10:26:54 am »
Here's what I came up with.

I tried to dig up as much reference for Ox Bowser as I could. Aparantly he appeared on the cover of some kind of music album, much friendlier looking and with ears, but I stuck with the box-art style. There was also an unpainted figurine made of "Ox Bowser" that shows off his body but it's not much help since the details are hard to make out and it's a frontal view of a sprite that's meant to be seen from the side.  I think the best approach would be to fuse designs for Ox Bowser and True Bowser.

Also, funny thing, when I searched for "Ox Bowser" reference, some old artwork of mine popped up in the search results in which I drew the seven "Fake Bowsers" from SMB1 based on designs from serveral official or semi-official sources over the years.

Can you identify them all? ( Pardon the roughness, it's from like 5 years ago )

I really wanted to include Ox Bowser in this hack from the very beginning, but I also wanted to keep the original Bowser in the game. The ideal scenario for me would have been to use him for the "Fake bowsers" but keep the World 8 Bowser as his final green and orange design. Failing that, my consolation prize would have been using him for Bowser's Brother  in Lost Levels ( ...if you don't know about that, take a look at this: https://weirdmarioenemies.tumblr.com/post/180590248059/name-blue-bowser-debut-super-mario-bros-the )

I think what I'll end up doing is using this design for the "Special sprites" version of Lost Levels. But maybe with some help he can make it into the regular veresion.  ( I also quite like the chap with the horn on his nose. Strange as it sounds, he was in one of my world history books in school. )

Thats great! I think if there is room on the sprite area to bring the orange hair forward a couple pixels itll match the original artwork better.

As far as naming them the first looks like a redraw of the pixel art of bowser from smb1, supershow bowser (really loved yours btw) i know ive seen the third, was that the OVA? then i think thats the ceo bowser right? you got ox bowser, the mecha bowsers are they the ones from SMW? And then of course Mario 3 Bowser.

Drawing him out yestersay im pretty surprised by how many of his Ox design cues were used for for the supershow... uncolored they share alot in common.I almost wonder if they used it for reference and the pixel art and did essentially what I did, narrowing the eyes some, hunching him over and just giving him a crown and a fresh coat of paint.

As a kid, I actually remember prefering it over the real bowser. It took me some time to warm up to Ginger Bowser. But by Mario 64 I couldnt see him any other way.