News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: MESEN Super Mario Bros. (World) 0.11  (Read 3616 times)

Razieldemon

• View Profile
MESEN Super Mario Bros. (World) 0.11
« on: January 09, 2020, 04:36:34 pm »
SUPER MARIO BROS. 1! It has never been done... until now. (Yeah right there are so many Mario 1 hacks.)

Okay so starting with design philosophy, maintain most of the sprite structure of the original while freshening up the look in sensible ways. Highly garish looking enemies like Piranha Plants are updated as well as the power ups. Mario has been given more of his traditional looking clothes, blue coveralls and white gloves. Attempts have been made to update block and stone items and to freshen up the plants and sky. It is going to take awhile for a full rework but this is a start.

BUILD
0.10 Pipe and sprite edits, colors and plats and sky.
https://youtu.be/yTNlERCPhwc

0.11 Reworked Mario Sprite and Fire Mario Sprite. Some errors remain some touchups required. Starman fixed as well as primary sky on 3-1 corrected.

https://youtu.be/FNwgRMgNl10

-UP NEXT 0.12
Minor color correction on pipes, mystery boxes, empty boxes bricks, coins and flags.

-FUTURE PLANS
-Rework remaining enemy sprites
-Fix water and lava look
-leave a few easter eggs with some pallettes
-rework toad and princess
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:53:12 pm by Razieldemon »

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Re: MESEN Super Mario Bros. (World)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 05:24:55 pm »
Looks neat. I'd play that.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Razieldemon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 06:27:29 pm »
Thanks man :) I haven't quite figured out what sort of vision I want yet, but some type of balance between what makes SMB one unusual or unique but balance out with some of the more modern trimmings.

Finished working on piranha plant as an example because while the look awesome in SMB1 they look off for everything else.

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 09:17:07 pm »
Nice! Glad to see a new project using this feature.

Razieldemon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 09:27:49 pm »
Thanks Im moving at a pretty brisk pace atm. Spent most of the day spriting.

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 10:18:01 pm »
Judging from the 36-second-long demo you presented, it looks like there's some work to be done. Other than that, superb job!

Razieldemon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 12:54:06 am »
Ran into an issue, I think I know how I got there but not exactly sure how to walk back from it.

There are two blank single color tilesets I was trying to color correct. I appear to have somehow overlayed the color above emerging items like fireflowers, mushrooms and inadvertently, piramha plants. It isnt impacting every level but it is happening. Im not exactly sure how these are stored. Its mostly straight forward but hunting that lone sprite is occasionally very difficult.

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 01:25:54 am »
It would be easier if you understand the file format of the HD pack definition file (hires.txt). Then you can use the PPU viewer to check the ROM address of the sprite in question, search for that address in the text file to see where it is pointing to in the image file and correct the image file.

Razieldemon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 03:29:40 am »
If there is a way to do that I am unaware of it

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 12:11:01 pm »
Assuming you are using the most recent version of Mesen, and you have already tried using the HD Pack Builder feature (but aren't sure where your sprite/tile is located in the pack) - you can follow the process below:

-Start the game and play until you reach the area you want to edit.
-Navigate to Tools.
-Find Debugger.
-Select Tools Within Debugger.
-Select PPU Viewer.
-Move your cursor over the area you are trying to edit.
-Right click.
-Select "Copy Tile (HD Pack Format)"

-Now, navigate to the HD Pack you are working on and find the file within called "hires.txt."
-Make sure your cursor is at the top of the file and hit ctrl + F (also make sure the direction of searching is "down" if your cursor is at the top).
-Under "Find What" right click and hit "paste."
     -Pasting should fill the "Find What" section with the address information of the tile/sprite you are trying to locate. It should look something like, "124,22291A0F" (I looked for the sky in Super Mario Bros + Duck Hunt and it may be different from the normal Super Mario Bros. without Duck Hunt).
-If you are lucky, it should find a match.

-If a match is found, look at the very top of the grouping of code - you should see something that is called something along the lines of #Chr_01_3.png." Take note of this.
     -Also, take note of the two numbers after the the address information. You will need this later. For example, if your format looks similar to the code below, take note of the 32 and 16 numbers. These numbers represent the x and y locations of where your sprite/tile is located in the .png file.

#Chr_01_3.png
<tile>6,0124,22291A0F,32,16,1,N

-Now, look in the HD Pack you are working on and find the .png file that matches the tile you referenced in the previous step. Use the x and y information to hone in on your sprite/tile. Try coloring in something in this area (even if it is blank).
-Hit "Save" and test to see if it changed the area you are trying to edit.

Here's hoping this helps.

Razieldemon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 05:23:39 pm »
It really does! I had no idea I havent used this feature yet and sorted out the above problems through trial and error but more are bound to show up.

There are two thingsId liiiike thebe able to do that im not sure if you might know how or if they canbe done.

1) Use preassembled sprites to edit directly as opposed to locating all pieces.

2) For the background tile I have seen other messen projects use background images. (Id keep to the I bit look but I was thinking taking the black backgrounds in particular and add to it.)

I did have a more novel idea as well for a different effect... which is more of a "maybe it can be done." sort of thing.

I noticed in the water levels the "sky" is a back ground color and the "water" is overlayed over it.

I was thinking of using transparencies to produce something a little more authentic to water.That I can do.I was wondering if I can reposition the tile to instead overlay the entire water area so mario and the fish look under water as well.

January 11, 2020, 09:42:15 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Assuming you are using the most recent version of Mesen, and you have already tried using the HD Pack Builder feature (but aren't sure where your sprite/tile is located in the pack) - you can follow the process below:

-Start the game and play until you reach the area you want to edit.
-Navigate to Tools.
-Find Debugger.
-Select Tools Within Debugger.
-Select PPU Viewer.
-Move your cursor over the area you are trying to edit.
-Right click.
-Select "Copy Tile (HD Pack Format)"

-Now, navigate to the HD Pack you are working on and find the file within called "hires.txt."
-Make sure your cursor is at the top of the file and hit ctrl + F (also make sure the direction of searching is "down" if your cursor is at the top).
-Under "Find What" right click and hit "paste."
     -Pasting should fill the "Find What" section with the address information of the tile/sprite you are trying to locate. It should look something like, "124,22291A0F" (I looked for the sky in Super Mario Bros + Duck Hunt and it may be different from the normal Super Mario Bros. without Duck Hunt).
-If you are lucky, it should find a match.

-If a match is found, look at the very top of the grouping of code - you should see something that is called something along the lines of #Chr_01_3.png." Take note of this.
     -Also, take note of the two numbers after the the address information. You will need this later. For example, if your format looks similar to the code below, take note of the 32 and 16 numbers. These numbers represent the x and y locations of where your sprite/tile is located in the .png file.

#Chr_01_3.png
<tile>6,0124,22291A0F,32,16,1,N

-Now, look in the HD Pack you are working on and find the .png file that matches the tile you referenced in the previous step. Use the x and y information to hone in on your sprite/tile. Try coloring in something in this area (even if it is blank).
-Hit "Save" and test to see if it changed the area you are trying to edit.

Here's hoping this helps.

So I found this at address 40,8 could be that its different in part because im using 8 by 16 format.

When I alter this it has an odd behavior. hitting coin blocks show up the way they ought to but if there is a pop up for power ups, the power ups only show up once they have fully sprouted. I ran into a roadblock like this before and things like piranha plants wouldn't be visible as well. Any ideas why that may be? is this maybe an overlay tile?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:42:15 pm by Razieldemon »

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 01:18:51 pm »
1) Use preassembled sprites to edit directly as opposed to locating all pieces.

2) For the background tile I have seen other messen projects use background images. (Id keep to the I bit look but I was thinking taking the black backgrounds in particular and add to it.)

I did have a more novel idea as well for a different effect... which is more of a "maybe it can be done." sort of thing.

I noticed in the water levels the "sky" is a back ground color and the "water" is overlayed over it.

I was thinking of using transparencies to produce something a little more authentic to water.That I can do.I was wondering if I can reposition the tile to instead overlay the entire water area so mario and the fish look under water as well.

1- It sounds like you are hoping to have a sprite sheet that is more organized - correct? If so, you would either need to manually edit the existing hires.txt file so that those automatically generated x and y locations I mentioned in my previous post point to locations on a .png file you would rather use - or just start from scratch and create your own hires.txt file. You would need to be well, versed in the language used by the HD Pack. The following should be helpful if you would like to pursue this: https://www.mesen.ca/docs/hdpacks.html. Keep in mind, manually creating a hires.txt file would be time consuming. So, if your entire goal is to save time, this may or may not help.

2- For backgrounds, this would require use of the "<background> tag" (noted on the website I listed in response to question one). It would also most likely require the use of a condition (basically, an if/then statement). A memory check tag would probably be best to distinguish what background should go where. For the packs I have worked on, I received help with memory check tags. As a result, I am not quite sure how to create one on my own.

3- For the water, a method achieve what you are trying to do doesn't immediately come to mind. With Metroid: HD, there is semi-transparent Lava and Acid that is layered over the player. However, in that case, the game playing in the background determines which layer is placed on top (not the Metroid pack). I did think about using a condition to call out when Mario is in the water. When that condition is met, perhaps the HD pack could reference some Mario art that has a blueish tint. However, I suspect that this approach wouldn't look very good when Mario enters and exits water. The change from normal, to blue tint would be very abrupt and may not look right. Regardless, it would probably require a memory check tag and this is something I am not quite sure how to create (I just know how they work in theory).

Lastly, I'm not sure I follow your issue with the power ups. I may have to see a picture or video.

Razieldemon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 08:47:14 pm »
I think for now I might sip on the background editing. I wanted to choose a less purple, lighter color.

I think a smarter approach to assembling the spritework is maybe to assemble it in a separate file for objects and overlay it so everything matches then cut and paste those pieces.

Im really starting to establish a workflow now which is nice. What looked like forever before is coming out better.

I noticed in the PPU viewer that the "banks" look like those PNGs are some sort of pallette re-swap of either CHR 0 or CHR 1.

And I might be wrong on this but the PNG labelled FFFFFFFF is either background solids or overlays. I may have to simply experiment with garrish colors later.

Thanks for the link! I had seen it before but was before I began.Didn't realize what it covered and had forgotten about it.

January 15, 2020, 11:52:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Added some visual touches to Mario, Fire Mario and terrain
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:52:21 pm by Razieldemon »

lyonhrt

• View Profile
Re: MESEN Super Mario Bros. (World) 0.11
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 11:59:48 am »
Hows the pack going, i know i'm late to the party, but having the only other hdnes mario pack which is quite unpopular, i can give you any pointers you need, mario bros is pretty well documented so all the info you need is out there for any conditions you might need, its trying to think outside the box, other than repeating what Aclectico said feel free to pm me if your stuck.

tygerbug

• View Profile
Re: MESEN Super Mario Bros. (World) 0.11
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 05:44:01 am »
 I would be curious to see what the HDPack for this currently looks like.

I was trying Super Mario Bros myself but the results were a bit disorganized!